Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here is the problem. When my car is in neutral and idle, like at a light, I can hear a rattle noise from the engine. It sounds almost like the 'tock' sound of the cam spinning, but I'm sure it's not. Also, if I press the clutch to the floor, the sound stops. Can anyone identify this problem?

Help!

Thanks,
-Whiskey

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
WhiskeyDrinker said:
Ok, so here is the problem. When my car is in neutral and idle, like at a light, I can hear a rattle noise from the engine. It sounds almost like the 'tock' sound of the cam spinning, but I'm sure it's not. Also, if I press the clutch to the floor, the sound stops. Can anyone identify this problem?

Help!

Thanks,
-Whiskey
The fact that it stops when you have the clutch pedal engaged makes me think it could possiblly be a bearing in the transaxle. Do you notice and noise in any gears?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Throw out bearing?

I am not a mechanic and am new to these cars, but a clutch operates like any othe clutch and I seem to remember other people with other cars finding out that's what that problem was when they had it.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Danin Re' said:
Throw out bearing?

I am not a mechanic and am new to these cars, but a clutch operates like any othe clutch and I seem to remember other people with other cars finding out that's what that problem was when they had it.
Yarrrrrr.....

The problem is in your clutch, and is most likely your throw out bearing, or release bearing, or whatever you want to call it. The only reason I say 'most likely' and not definately, is that other problems, like a foreign object stuck in there could cause it, but in almost ALL certainty, it's the T.O.B.

Got Warranty?

-BRR

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Ditto........probably the TOB. My 03 did the same thing at 15k, showed the dealer the tsb on the 03 clutches prior to April 03, and they replaced the whole clutch assembly with the revised heavier clutch under warranty. I'm boosted since 29k, and at 33k, so I hope my stock clutch holds out until I buy a new high performance cluch/flywheel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
F*ck. I just had the clutch / flywheel replaced about 5,000 mi ago.
Anyone have an estimate on what this is going to cost me?

Why is it that every time I get a few dollars saved up for something I want to actually buy for the car, something breaks and I have to throw all that money at the problem? Car is a damn money pit.

/passenger door latch/lock also broken
/headlights fogged and dealer wont do dick about it
/rear setbelt retracted and wont pull back out
/etc etc etc

/window motors already replaced after dealer wouldn't cover it

Hyundai, you're not doing a very good job convincing me to continue to be a customer.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I don't think it would be a TOB, TOB problems usually arise when you press the clutch pedal down, not when your off the pedal. Basically the opposite of what he is describing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts