Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So heres the deal... I'm used to smaller engines, well for rebuilding at least. I've taken apart my dirtbike and rebuilt that last year and now this year im rebuilding another blown snowmobile in a few days. Parts are actualy on order. So im not really new to ripping apart engines. I know how much honing and boring jugs are sopose to be and where to go for the best deal/ best work. I just need a little guidance because Im not sure on a block. Where should I go. There is a machine shop in town so ill probally go get some quotes and info, but what prices should I be expecting? I want to do a .020 overbore probaly with TC's rotating assemble(or comparible parts) So basicaly prepping the block for 800 horses if need be as well as valve springs for the upped boost. Mine as well set it and forget it right? lol. So how much am I looking for in labor for boaring/any other chemical finish/cleaning process that they normaly would do? Shipping? And please don't tell me go with TC's engine, I know he does great work but I chould build a 800 hp block with valve springs for less then the 400 budget shortblock. And im not to worried about the install.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
i could tell you some prices, but they usually charge dirty cheap down here in PR for a good prep, boreing, and balancing.

I also recomend you look around for some tuning shops with good reputation in block building, not all machine shops are skilled in those type of things. Dont remember how much TCs rotating assembly was...

Ballpark price for everything... 3000-3500?

Maybe just get pistons/rods/heads made?

much cheaper i guess

·
Registered
104 Posts
well not sure about your local prices but I just had a 350 block done in upstate NY decked bored honed line bored new cam/main bearings installed (this is including bearing prices) by a very reputable engine shop and they charged me $575.00 I am sure the tib tolerances are tighter so maybe a little more but just my .02

·
Registered
433 Posts
i just got my engine back with NGM rotating assy installed, my total cost was almost 1400 bux. that was honed and balanced and just the short block assembled. all i need to do now is put the heads on. there was alot of prep work done to the rods i guess, wich made the price go up, he claimed someone was in a hurry to get em done, so he cleaned up the bearings and polished the sides where i t bolts to the crank im not sure what he did but he showed me one he did compared to the one he didnt and there was a significant difference so i took his word for it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I went the the local machine shop here in town. The guy who I talked to kinda seemed like and idiot but ive herd that they do do good work. He said if the cylinder walls are still good(which im pretty sure there gonna be hence the engine runs good now) that I should not do a .020 over boar. He said that I should just hone it. 1/3000ish right? I dono, I guess that he says if nothings wrong, theres no reason to redo it. I dono really know what to make of all this. The price was a little over a hundred bucks for honing if I bring them the block. Seemed pretty cheep, but for out in the Upper Pinsula of Michigan they do this stuff all the time and stuff like this is cheeper if its done in house.

·
Registered
433 Posts
depending on the pistons you may have to get it bored, you may also have to get it line honed and may have to get it balanced.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ just curious, what pistons are you going with?
Well Id like to get the endyne/weisco pistons. Maybe an overboar on em I dono yet. Pauter rods, boost bearings, high output oil pump, valve springs... but Nxtgen's rotating assembly is a really good price. Who makes all the parts for that kit. I know they are Ross pistons but thats pretty much it.

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
I was quoted around the $1800-2000 mark locally from a reputable shop for disassembly, boring, honing, balancing, assembly, blueprinting, and porting and flowing of the heads (all parts provided). Not sure how much of that was the head work, but it should give you a rough idea...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts