Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so mt 03 tib brok a timing belt i got a used engine for it but on the head is stamped 2.5l not 2.7 and its a dohc is the 2.7 a single cam or is this a 2.7 but uses 2.5 heads and will it go in my 03gt ?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Both the 2.5 and 2.7 are DOHC and share the same basic design. The 2.7 is just a bored out 2.5. Look for an engine code stamp. 2.5 should be either G6BV or G6BW whereas the 2.7 is G6BA.

Either one should work fine I would imagine, the 2.5 will just be a bit less powerful.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
718 Posts
The 2.7 block will have 2.5 stamped on the heads and possibly the block. You can't trust only that as your marker for the engine size. Both 2.5 and 2.7 use DOHC and the same cam profiles. Heads are unchanged between the two engine sizes.

Measure the bore to be certain. Otherwise use the donor vehicle manufacture date as a reference. Do you happen to have the VIN # of the donor vehicle? There is a database you can use to look it up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
so mt 03 tib brok a timing belt i got a used engine for it but on the head is stamped 2.5l not 2.7 and its a dohc is the 2.7 a single cam or is this a 2.7 but uses 2.5 heads and will it go in my 03gt ?
no i dont have the vin number unles its on the block this motor i got came from engine and transmission world they said it has 68k on but i can tell by looking thats a lie if you ever get a used engine on line dont by from these people they will rip you off they told me they testedthe engine whitch is a lie cant test it with a huge hole in the intake manifold.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
718 Posts
no i dont have the vin number unles its on the block this motor i got came from engine and transmission world they said it has 68k on but i can tell by looking thats a lie if you ever get a used engine on line dont by from these people they will rip you off they told me they testedthe engine whitch is a lie cant test it with a huge hole in the intake manifold.
You need more punctuation in your life. It's hard to understand where your thoughts start or end.

Without the donor VIN or information on the year/model it came from your only option is to pull the heads and measure the bore and stroke. Did the seller list the year/model the engine was pulled from? The 2.5 was kind of a small production and ended well before 2002. Some Sonatas and earlier Hyundai models had the 2.5 in the late 90s but they are really uncommon. Like I said the heads are interchangeable regardless of the 2.5 stamp on the heads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You need more punctuation in your life. It's hard to understand where your thoughts start or end.

Without the donor VIN or information on the year/model it came from your only option is to pull the heads and measure the bore and stroke. Did the seller list the year/model the engine was pulled from? The 2.5 was kind of a small production and ended well before 2002. Some Sonatas and earlier Hyundai models had the 2.5 in the late 90s but they are really uncommon. Like I said the heads are interchangeable regardless of the 2.5 stamp on the heads.
The motor I was sent is junk the timing belt is busted and a hole in the intake, don't by from engine and transmission world they will rip you off waste of 1505 dollars

1 - 6 of 6 Posts