Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy y'all I saw some old threads about the 3.3L engine swap I did some research and I can get this engine from hyundai sonata 2006 and I have a Hyundai Tiburon 2007 is it true that's it's a direct drop in ? I found an engine for fairly cheap. Now that's it's 2021 and years have aged over the old threads can I do this swap or is it possible?

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
295 Posts
Howdy y'all I saw some old threads about the 3.3L engine swap I did some research and I can get this engine from hyundai sonata 2006 and I have a Hyundai Tiburon 2007 is it true that's it's a direct drop in ?
No, a 3.3/3.5/3.8 Lambda will not be a drop in swap. Where did you hear that from? There is no direct drop in swap for our cars. However, there are some engines that will bolt up to our V6 6 Speed transmissions but need fabrication to fit and a tuning solution due to some differences. For example, the following engines will bolt up to our trans:

Hyundai Sigma 3.0/3.5L (AKA Mitsubishi 6G74)
Mitsubishi 3.8L 6G75 (Taller deck, stroked version of the 6G74 with MIVEC)

The engine mounts need fabrication. The passenger side axles need fabrication. You need a tuning solution because the crank angle sensor is mounted at a different angle than the Delta 2.7L so it will throw your ignition timing way off unless you can compensate for that by modifying your ECM's ignition tables. No open source tuning solution exists yet for our OEM ECM so that's already a challenge in of itself. The aftermarket support is just as bad on the Sigma motor as it is for the Delta motor so many would argue it's not a worthy swap for the added weight and minimal HP gains.

Back to the Lambda motors... They do not bolt up to our transmissions. It is rumored that the Lambda motor was swapped using the automatic transmission from a minivan into a Tiburon in South Korea. Requires a lot of fabrication and no information exists in English so it's not recommended. Also I believe all the Lambda motors are direct injected which adds another tuning challenge to your swap.

·
Registered
1998, Hyundai Tiburon Special M/T
13 Posts
No, a 3.3/3.5/3.8 Lambda will not be a drop in swap. Where did you hear that from? There is no direct drop in swap for our cars. However, there are some engines that will bolt up to our V6 6 Speed transmissions but need fabrication to fit and a tuning solution due to some differences. For example, the following engines will bolt up to our trans:

Hyundai Sigma 3.0/3.5L (AKA Mitsubishi 6G74)
Mitsubishi 3.8L 6G75 (Taller deck, stroked version of the 6G74 with MIVEC)

The engine mounts need fabrication. The passenger side axles need fabrication. You need a tuning solution because the crank angle sensor is mounted at a different angle than the Delta 2.7L so it will throw your ignition timing way off unless you can compensate for that by modifying your ECM's ignition tables. No open source tuning solution exists yet for our OEM ECM so that's already a challenge in of itself. The aftermarket support is just as bad on the Sigma motor as it is for the Delta motor so many would argue it's not a worthy swap for the added weight and minimal HP gains.

Back to the Lambda motors... They do not bolt up to our transmissions. It is rumored that the Lambda motor was swapped using the automatic transmission from a minivan into a Tiburon in South Korea. Requires a lot of fabrication and no information exists in English so it's not recommended. Also I believe all the Lambda motors are direct injected which adds another tuning challenge to your swap.
No Lambda at GK? Who said?

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
295 Posts
No Lambda at GK? Who said?

View attachment 136419
Your English to Korean translation missed something from my post... I did say a Lambda swap is possible but it doesn't bolt up to our transmission and requires much more fabrication. Therefore it's not a "drop in" swap. The original poster confused the Sigma for the Lambda motor was all.

Do you have more information on that Lambda swap? Such as the transmission used? What ECM was used? How were the axles fabricated to match our front wheel hubs?

Reactions: Skull_Face_Hero

·
Registered
13 Posts
Your English to Korean translation missed something from my post... I did say a Lambda swap is possible but it doesn't bolt up to our transmission and requires much more fabrication. Therefore it's not a "drop in" swap. The original poster confused the Sigma for the Lambda motor was all.

Do you have more information on that Lambda swap? Such as the transmission used? What ECM was used? How were the axles fabricated to match our front wheel hubs?
Oh, OK. This car is AT transmission used what you said at your post. It used HG 3.3 GDi's one. It was used in combination drive shaft but not shaft welded one,
This car made with 6 more years before and not trouble to use, just like stock engine's one.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Oh, OK. This car is AT transmission used what you said at your post. It used HG 3.3 GDi's one. It was used in combination drive shaft but not shaft welded one,
This car made with 6 more years before and not trouble to use, just like stock engine's one.
First time of me actually seeing the 3.3 swap. Sadly the only transmission is the automatic one. I bet the swap wasn't easy.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
295 Posts
Wait so it's easier for the 3.3 swap if the car was automatic ?
No. The Lambda will not mate up to any of the Tiburon transmissions regardless if it's a manual or automatic. The Lambda motor never had a FWD manual transmission so you need both the engine and the automatic transmission from the donor car to complete the swap.

The "HG" designation that Hyo_Ni Kim mentions from the donor car is the 2011-2016 Hyundai Azera:

·
Registered
376 Posts
No. The Lambda will not mate up to any of the Tiburon transmissions regardless if it's a manual or automatic. The Lambda motor never had a FWD manual transmission so you need both the engine and the automatic transmission from the donor car to complete the swap.

The "HG" designation that Hyo_Ni Kim mentions from the donor car is the 2011-2016 Hyundai Azera:

I wish they did make a fwd manual trans for the lambda

·
Registered
13 Posts

Absolutely right.

So.. How about this?

Or this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
How much would it cost to do this ?
Do yall think I'm better off buying the 2.7 and boosting it
Yes would be a lot easier to boost the 2.7l then to swap
Definitly right. but I think genuine theta T-GDi motor swap is more better than delta turbo build.

I don't know about US's engine swap cost but I heard about the theta motor swap cost is under $15000 w/ genuine new parts in South Korea.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Definitly right. but I think genuine theta T-GDi motor swap is more better than delta turbo build.

I don't know about US's engine swap cost but I heard about the theta motor swap cost is under $15000 w/ genuine new parts in South Korea.
Only thing is he will needs custom mounts, axles , wiring and much more vs just turbocharging the delta v6 which will be a lot easier my opinion

1 - 15 of 15 Posts