Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a bit lengthy, I’d rather get all info I have into this

So I bought a 2007 GT used, was told it needed a timing belt and it would be good to go. I finally got the belt on and everything aligned to TDC, but now I can’t get the engine to start. It’ll either turn over slowly at first and pick up some speed but not start, or just turn slow and not do anything. I tried checking fuses to see if any were blown, tried two batteries with jump starts and after charging, but it still won’t start. Everything is stock as far as I know in terms of all mechanical. I’ve tried tossing my code reader on it a few time and it doesn’t throw a single code, which confuses me even more (was thinking cam/crankshaft position sensors or TPS but apparently not?) If anyone has any clues as to what I could be missing/doing wrong, any tips would be fantastic

·
Registered
407 Posts
It’ll either turn over slowly at first and pick up some speed but not start, or just turn slow and not do anything.
One of two things. Either a weak starter, or stuck pistons. Before you replace the starter, trying taking all the spark plugs out, spray healthy amount of wd40 or pb blaster into each cylinder. Leave the plugs out, and unplug the injector harness. Rotate the engine a few times by hand until everything seems smooth or loosens up. Then attempt to use the starter to rotate the engine. If everything feels slow still, replace the starter and try again.

Once you have everything rotating at a normal speed, blow out the cylinders, put everything back together and attempt to start.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
217 Posts
You won't receive a CEL on a non runner unless one of sensors is really bad or disconnected. You need to run it to detect problems that the ECM will detect.

Was the timing belt broken when you bought the car? I suspect it broke on the previous owner and they bent several valves. First thing I would do is run a compression and leak down test to verify that. Obviously check for fuel and spark then let us know if you're lacking any of those.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You won't receive a CEL on a non runner unless one of sensors is really bad or disconnected. You need to run it to detect problems that the ECM will detect.

Was the timing belt broken when you bought the car? I suspect it broke on the previous owner and they bent several valves. First thing I would do is run a compression and leak down test to verify that. Obviously check for fuel and spark then let us know if you're lacking any of those.
My theory is a blown headgasket due to leaking radiator overheating condition, based on his story. Im kinda expecting to see no compression on a couple cylinders on one bank.

Edit: i just realized this was my response to a different thread. I dont know why this got posted here......Disregard this. Makes no sense here on this topic.

·
Administrator
8,948 Posts
I agree with comments posted before me....especially a dead engine won't likely give up CEL's since the battery went dead or was disconnected.....

Questions....

How long did the car sit? (Could be bad gas).
Did the timng belt break and past owner gave up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Timing owner broke on last owner, but they said the shop they took it to said that the valves were good. I plan on doing a compression test in the next few days as well as trying what the first comment stated depending on how the compression test goes, then I’ll give an update as well

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
217 Posts
Timing owner broke on last owner, but they said the shop they took it to said that the valves were good.
It's exceedingly rare for the valves on an interference motor to survive a broken timing belt. It does happen but it's got to be just the right conditions. If the belt let's loose while the engine is idling and in neutral, there's a chance the valves are still good. However if the car is in motion there's too much force behind the pistons for it to be salvageable. Unfortunately it's usually the latter because in most conditions there isn't enough stress to break a timing belt at idle. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts