Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Complete Newbie Exhaust Thread

Whats up everyone. I am not new to the site, have read a good bit or the post over the past two years, but just recently signed up. For the past two weeks all I have done in my spare time is research exhaust options and man does it get complicated. I have a few questions and figured a few other will too, and figured I would start thread for Tiburon newbies craving exhaust. I know most of this information is already posted, but it's all over the place.

1) Is it worth paying $300 more for DC headers or $600 more for Ark when SSA has headers, high flow cat and all O2 sensor holes for under $300 bucks? Who makes true 2x3into1 "equal length" headers?

2) What can you get away with as far as gutting or removing the cat and still passing emissions? O2 emulators? Do headers and or exhaust usually throw codes? Would the inspector be able to pass it with a visit from President Benjamin?

3)What tools are needed to install? Any heat treatment? Just nuts and bolts? Engine drop? What components need to be removed? AC? PS? Can it be a back yard job?

4)Can you run full exhaust but with stock tips? I would truely love to run full Ark with stock tips. Really make people scratch their heads. Plus you can't beat the look of how the stock tips mold to the diffuser.

5) What can one expect as far as sound and performance running headers and high flow cat with no muffler... just welding pipe straight to the tips? I would imagine the ****** y pipe right before the mufflers would rob you of some hp gains. Maybe custom replace that section and leave the rest of the cat-back stock?

Just some thoughts and questions. Power to the Tiburon community. So underestimated, so bad awsome...

Don't start yelling at me for starting a duplicate thread, if I am a moron and have overlooked a complete newbie exhaust thread I will delete it.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Re: Complete Newbie Exhaust Thread

Whats up everyone. I am not new to the site, have read a good bit or the post over the past two years, but just recently signed up. For the past two weeks all I have done in my spare time is research exhaust options and man does it get complicated. I have a few questions and figured a few other will too, and figured I would start thread for Tiburon newbies craving exhaust. I know most of this information is already posted, but it's all over the place.

1) Is it worth paying $300 more for DC headers or $600 more for Ark when SSA has headers, high flow cat and all O2 sensor holes for under $300 bucks? Who makes true 2x3into1 "equal length" headers?

You get what you pay for. ARK are going to be superior in build quality and fitment, and give you an extra couple of ponies, but if you don't want to fork out that much, SSA really aren't that bad. I think only Hotshot did the equal length headers. The only way to get them now is second hand.

2) What can you get away with as far as gutting or removing the cat and still passing emissions? O2 emulators? Do headers and or exhaust usually throw codes? Would the inspector be able to pass it with a visit from President Benjamin?

I don't live in the US, so not entirely sure. From what I've read though, it's different from state to state. Someone else is better off answering this one.

3)What tools are needed to install? Any heat treatment? Just nuts and bolts? Engine drop? What components need to be removed? AC? PS? Can it be a back yard job?

Just look at the DIY.

4)Can you run full exhaust but with stock tips? I would truely love to run full Ark with stock tips. Really make people scratch their heads. Plus you can't beat the look of how the stock tips mold to the diffuser.

I wouldn't fork out for a high quality (and expensive) exhaust like that and then hack it. Just get an exhaust shop to fab one up. Especially if you already have the tips. Choose over/under axle and pipe width based off your end goal for your car.

5) What can one expect as far as sound and performance running headers and high flow cat with no muffler... just welding pipe straight to the tips? I would imagine the ****** y pipe right before the mufflers would rob you of some hp gains. Maybe custom replace that section and leave the rest of the cat-back stock?

Again, from what you just said, there would be little left of your beautiful ARK exhaust after you're done with all that. Go custom. If you have no muffler, expect a lot of drone. If you're worried about that split at the and, maybe you'd prefer a single?

Just some thoughts and questions. Power to the Tiburon community. So underestimated, so bad awsome...

Don't start yelling at me for starting a duplicate thread, if I am a moron and have overlooked a complete newbie exhaust thread I will delete it.
What are your goals from this? Are you after HP? Sound? Budget? Often these things will conflict with one another.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am after sound more than anything. Car is retardedly fast for stock already. I have spent probably 2k on lawyers. lol I just truely love the sound now, and basicly want to make it louder... same tone, maybe more growl/rumble, but louder. I love the deep tone opposed to the fart can civics. I think it would be cool to achive this and still leave the stock tips on. I'll deff do headers first. Wanna find a set of used Ark headers. I'm really all over the place with this if you can't tell. My main question is the cat, can I run no cat with all o2 plugged in and not get a code? No code on OBDII = PASS right?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Car is retardedly fast for stock already.
He's right. I beat a mini van on my way to work this morning. He had me off the line, but I got there...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am after sound more than anything. Car is retardedly fast for stock already. I have spent probably 2k on lawyers. lol I just truely love the sound now, and basicly want to make it louder... same tone, maybe more growl/rumble, but louder. I love the deep tone opposed to the fart can civics. I think it would be cool to achive this and still leave the stock tips on. I'll deff do headers first. Wanna find a set of used Ark headers. I'm really all over the place with this if you can't tell. My main question is the cat, can I run no cat with all o2 plugged in and not get a code? No code on OBDII = PASS right?
If you love the current sound/performance, and you wanna keep the stock tips, just leave the cat back alone. Headers = louder.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He's right. I beat a mini van on my way to work this morning. He had me off the line, but I got there...
Smartass. LOL When I first got the car me and an older 4.6L mustang raced a few times from about a 60mph roll on the highway and we stayed dead even everytime untill I topped out of course. My buddy was in the car too, that really sold me on the tib. Obviously my car was brand new and his probably had over 100k on it, but still. Anyways, no one has commented on the emulators, problem codes, or cats. I am pretty sure I want to run some used Ark or DC Sports headers, high flow or gutted cat or maybe even no cat given I can pass OBDII, and cut out the mufflers and weld pipe in. I think that would be the best bang for buck sound and performance. Maybe re-route that shity Y split at the rear axel with some custom pipe.

If I were gonna do custom duals I would go all out and go Ark headers with TRUE custom exhaust and Ark N2 tips. That to me is by far the sickest of them all. But we are probably talking like 2 g's.

Anyone know if Ark or DC headers are equal length? True two 3-1?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm pretty sure with no cat and no muffler the exhaust will sound like @ss.

Get some headers (whichever you like, doesn't really matter) Buy a high flow cat, and get an exhaust shop to run a custom 2.5 inch to the stock muffs.

As I said before. The only equal length are Hotshots, and you can't get them anymore.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So MattyB, you did SSA headers, hi-flow cat, and custom piping? Stock mufflers and tips?

The C bend in the SFR and Ark headers has to make for better sound and power than SSA and JVT. It's so dumb... why couldn't SSA and JVT spend a few more bucks and include that? Wack

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
just drive around without headers or exaust and take off the hood....FOR MAXIMUM HP GAINS

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
i think this is a sexy look:

also you can have your shop use your stock exhaust tips and make something custom for you... Also ark n2 exit 4" right? why would you want to do that... just do 2.5" cat back no resonator with some good mufflers= $75 or more a piece and you will get a good sound... I am personally gettin 3inch til it splits right behind the axle into 2.5" Dynomax Mufflers and 4" Black Chrome Rolled 15 degree angled tips (mine will be underaxle)... Hopefully if money works out by the end of September...

Also 07/08 look so sexy with some nice quad tips...
Can't find a picture... Someone sold them before...

·
Registered
233 Posts
So MattyB, you did SSA headers, hi-flow cat, and custom piping? Stock mufflers and tips?

The C bend in the SFR and Ark headers has to make for better sound and power than SSA and JVT. It's so dumb... why couldn't SSA and JVT spend a few more bucks and include that? Wack
I have the Injen SES exhaust. I was just saying that custom might be a idea for you, from what you said you wanted.

I don't really know how that bend has an impact on sound. I imagine it's slightly more restrictive power-wise. A couple of HP maybe.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
that bend i would think would increase backpressure which would decrease horsepower would it not? idk just a thought... thats the same reason why underaxle has a couple more horses then overaxle... nothing noticeable of course... but idk just a thought...^^^

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
just drive around without headers or exaust and take off the hood....FOR MAXIMUM HP GAINS
Ok, I swear I started this thread with good intentions, but it has gone to **** on that note LOL. I have decided to go with SSA V2 headers (someone please tell me if their race cat is worth a damn or if i should get something else high flow)and a single 44 series flowmaster muffler going into the 2 stock tips. If I change the tips I will go quad. I wish I could just order the SSA piping lol.

Anyone have an idea how much custom piping and instalation will cost if I buy the headers, cat, and mufflers? Any red flags with this set up?

I have seen guys do dual 44's and single 44's and the single always sounds better. I am pretty sure flows were designed for more flow than that or the delta... making 2 share it makes it sound like a tractor... like a ****** SRT-4.

Is that all I need? Headers, cat, mufflers? The rest just piping into sstock tips? I am pretty sure the tips are 2" so that shouldn't rob me of any power right?

You guys are the ****. I swear all Tib drivers are cool as hell. We all like having so unique and underestimated... some how it shows in our personality.

EMISSIONS TESTING!!! I can't find info on my counties emissions test anywhere. What I get out of what I have seen is a high flow cat will not pass the sniff test right? How do i find out if my state/county does the sniff? AND ARE ENGINE CODES USUALLY A BI PRODUCT OF AFTERMARKET ENGINE BACK? VOID ENGINE WARRENTY?

And the bend makes for better flow=less resistance=morepower. $500 more power? i doubt it.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Alright One muffler will sound ricey IMO but its your car... If you do one muffler do a resonator... like Magnaflow appx $60... High Flow Magnaflow Cat is proven to be one of the better with our car with headers that i have heard... You will probably have a CEL set off no matter what if you don't reset your ECU I had one come up when i went from a SRI to a Custom CAI... When I went from stock tune to dmdicks Tune... Reset ECU it went away...
Also, Stock tips will probably be cut to fit 2.5" or 3" whatever you choose...
Header, High flow cat, piping, a shop to weld, muffler, Resonator (if you choose to do one muffler IMO)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts