Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I need to get an exhaust eventually for my soon to be boosted engine, I went a little overboard on supporting mods and wont be able to afford an aftermarket unit for a while. So to cut out some restriction on flow, can I just remove the stock mufflers and run a striaght pipe with tips? I dont see it being a problem, or much of an improvement for that matter but each little bit helps.

·
Banned
434 Posts
slow 2K2GT said:
Ok so I need to get an exhaust eventually for my soon to be boosted engine, I went a little overboard on supporting mods and wont be able to afford an aftermarket unit for a while. So to cut out some restriction on flow, can I just remove the stock mufflers and run a striaght pipe with tips? I dont see it being a problem, or much of an improvement for that matter but each little bit helps.

It would actually be a great improvement as the rear section is where a lot of the restriction of the exhaust is.

Of course a 2.5' pipe all the way back would be better than the 2' pipe that is stock but the rear section provides probably 805 of the restriction.

You should go unbolt and take down the rear section and try it now before you are boosted just to see. You may need to get a new gasket if you chose to put the rear section back on, which should cost only a couple of dollars at a parts store, depending on your milage and the condition of the gasket. Mine basically crumbled in my hands at 75k miles.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
and i should warn you, it will be freaking loud. get exhaust. the pipes are the limiting factor, especially the divide in two, it's awfully restrictive. so my advice: get exhaust.

·
Registered
178 Posts
well i unbolted the two and here is the result. Stock engine.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2579048272574188059&hl=en
and
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6577811597266292060&hl=en

let me know what you think

Edit: sorry about that guys. little mistake :3_sleepha
apkraven said:
and i should warn you, it will be freaking loud. get exhaust. the pipes are the limiting factor, especially the divide in two, it's awfully restrictive. so my advice: get exhaust.
personally..i dont think its that loud...i like it alot

·
Banned
434 Posts
yea its NOT that loud and it actually sounds fairly decent, IMO it just needs a bit of sound attunation to give it a very nice distinctive note. There is no rasp, no buzzing and is not any louder than aftermarket exhausts i have heard for this car.

·
Registered
178 Posts
antiquity said:
so this is what i experienced, i was actually able to rev past the re limiter after doing this enough to kick on a CEL. almost to 7k
you ever have that?
i tested it today and went straight to my redline. i dunno maybe some of your tibs are natual born ready to boost lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts