Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my exhaust welded up and now when I hit about 1900 rpm my exhaust experiences resonance. Is there any easy way to change the harmonic frequency of the exhaust assembly? Since resonance seems to be very destructive (Tacoma Narrows Bridge for instance :3_frown: ) I would like to get this fixed. My current temp solution is to drive with overdrive off so I only have to pass through it once (normally).

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Reaper said:
I just had my exhaust welded up and now when I hit about 1900 rpm my exhaust experiences resonance. Is there any easy way to change the harmonic frequency of the exhaust assembly? Since resonance seems to be very destructive (Tacoma Narrows Bridge for instance :3_frown: ) I would like to get this fixed. My current temp solution is to drive with overdrive off so I only have to pass through it once (normally).
your tib has overdrive?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I think he is talking about the drone inside the cabin. You put on an aftermarket/custom exhaust and you are complaining about the sound it makes?

Hmmm, this is a long shot, but... uhhhh... what you could try doing is putting an oem (stock) cat-back exhaust system on your car. That should fix the resonance almost instantly and they are pretty cheap. They show up in the "Parts for Sale" area and you can get them for $75.00 to $150.00 + shipping or you might also be able to find one in your garage... if you kept it.

·
Registered
723 Posts
is it a custom setup or a true catback system? it'd be easier with a custom system, but you could cut out a section of the pipe and replace it with some sort of other muffler or resonator....other wise you can buy some dynomat and use it to dampen the sound...those are pretty much the only 2 viable options...you can lok into silencers...but those are more restrictive...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmm, maybe I didn't explain the problem very well. So I have added stainless headers, a new 2 1/4" magnaflow cat, 2 1/4" resonator, and a 2 1/4" magnaflow muffler. I used to have everything joined together with exhaust clamps, and I had no problems. Well I had all the clamps removed and had everything welded up as a single assembly (from the connector flex pipe flange to the muffler). Well now when I hit 1900 rpm, the whole exhaust assembly starts to "hum", like a nice big tuning fork. This is the only rpm where it does that. I guess I will try and put a exhaust hanger on and see if it changes anything.

Why are you guys giving me a hard time about the over drive? I have a button on the shifter, that if you hit changes the transmission shift points and brings the O/D OFF light up on my dash. Is that not a "overdrive off" light?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Your exhaust system should hang under your car on rubber grommits. They cushion the exhaust system when you go over bumps and dampen the vibrations from vibrating your car. If you have no rubber hangers your whole car must be vibrating. Good for tense muscles though! I bet you have a hum!

Does anyone else have an overdrive button? I sure don't. 2003 Auto here. What about some of the later years? That is weird. Thought all 2002/3+ Tibs had 4 speed autos and 5 or 6 speed manuals?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I am using all of the rubber exhaust hangers. Didn't feel like further investigation tonite since I spent most of the daylight left after work putting in my new O2 sensor. I think its so weird though that its only at one rpm range. It almost sounds like it could be the heat shield, but that seems ever weirder. I'll have time this weekend to inspect everything more closely.

As far as the overdrive, its nothing to special. I have a 2000 4 speed auto. Basically I think the only big thing it does is the car won't shift into 4th, or if you are in 4th, it will downshift into 3rd. Its also good for going 35 mph at a higher rpms to shut up the civics of North Portland.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Reaper said:
Yeah, I am using all of the rubber exhaust hangers. Didn't feel like further investigation tonite since I spent most of the daylight left after work putting in my new O2 sensor. I think its so weird though that its only at one rpm range. It almost sounds like it could be the heat shield, but that seems ever weirder. I'll have time this weekend to inspect everything more closely.

As far as the overdrive, its nothing to special. I have a 2000 4 speed auto. Basically I think the only big thing it does is the car won't shift into 4th, or if you are in 4th, it will downshift into 3rd. Its also good for going 35 mph at a higher rpms to shut up the civics of North Portland.
NewTiburon.com mainly deals with the 2002.5-2006 and surely now the 2007 Tiburon when it comes out. You are kind of in the wrong forum. That is why we don't have O/D and you do. There are some people with your model Tiburon here, but we are mainly the later model.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True about this being mainly for the new Tiburons, but unfortunately, there isn't an "Old tiburon.com". Plus the engine is still the 2.0L Beta in the new ones. Anyways, the whole "humming" noise is gone for some reason now. All I did was remove the plug in the exhaust pipe, put my new O2 sensor in (which isn't working, I am still getting a CEL) and adjust a hanger a centimeter just for kicks. Now I just need to fight the guy on ebay who sold me the O2 sensor, because I paid a bit more for a Bosch and he sent me some POS with the manufacturers name ground off of it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
And you can get a new Hyundai o2 sensor cheap from member LowSonoma1999 on this site...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Redtibofmakakilo said:
what exactly is resonance ???
Resonance tends to be a nice ringing or vibration in normally solid items. Since my car only makes this ringing sound at one rpm, I figured that is what it is (maybe over-reacting a bit). Resonance tends to be a good way to get metal to fail, and bolts to undo themselves.

Here is a nice picture of a solid bridge resonating only because of wind.

http://www.civil.utah.edu/~blaser/MM_project/structures/Tacoma.jpg

I personally think my exhaust shield isn't bolted back on tight now, but since A) My car has a blown tranny, and B) its cold, I haven't bothered to get a wrench and check the 10mm nuts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts