Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I recently recived my DC Sports exhaust for my 2.7L V6 2004 Hyundai tiburon.

I had a go at putting it on the other day and i encountered 2 issues

1. 2 of the bolts are completely rust on. i managed to get the center pipe ones off but the ones at the catalytic converter will not budge! (Blue arrow on image below) Ive used plenty of WD-40 about 10 different wrenches and sockets and the force of two people but it wont budge. The bolt is beginning to become rounded but i think if i have another go at it maybe with some heat or a torch ill be able to get it off.

2. There is a wire coming from the car down into the exhaust (red circle on image below) Is this just a ground wire, 02 Sensor? There is no hole in the new DC Sports exhaust to connect this back up. Can i just cut it and how important is it?

I really wanna be able to finish this job myself without having to take my car into a exhaust shop, let me know what you guys think and if you have any tips or info for me!

Thanks

InkedTiburon Stock Exhaust (resized)_LI.jpg
InkedTiburon Stock Exhaust (resized)_LI.jpg

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
541 Posts
WD-40 isn't a great penetrating oil. It's more of a solvent for cleaning but people using as a lubricant anyway. Try PB-Blaster instead. Otherwise, you're going to have to destroy the nut to remove it. I used one of these nut extractors to split the nut then it would twist off with an oversized wrench no problem:

Nut Extractor/Splitter Tool 1/2''-5/8''
(this particular one may be too small for your nut but you can find them in various sizes in automotive stores anywhere)

Can you take a picture of the wire? Maybe someone installed a wideband sensor there?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WD-40 isn't a great penetrating oil. It's more of a solvent for cleaning but people using as a lubricant anyway. Try PB-Blaster instead. Otherwise, you're going to have to destroy the nut to remove it. I used one of these nut extractors to split the nut then it would twist off with an oversized wrench no problem:

Nut Extractor/Splitter Tool 1/2''-5/8''
(this particular one may be too small for your nut but you can find them in various sizes in automotive stores anywhere)

View attachment 136977

Can you take a picture of the wire? Maybe someone installed a wideband sensor there?
Thanks for the help. I'm pretty confident with some added tools and help I'll be able to get that bolt off. I'm just concerned about the wire. I'll take a photo of it tomorrow and post it to this thread.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The wire is more than likely an air/fuel ratio sensor (AFR). There are no 02 sensors back there and nothing a stock car would have. If you want it on the new exhaust you'll have to have a shop weld a bung in.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
541 Posts
Assuming you have OEM exhaust manifolds and all 3 catalytic converters are intact... It's concerning that there would be an an AFR sensor after 3 catalytic converters mounted inside the catback. The previous owner either didn't know what they were doing... or they were trying to thwart a catalyst CEL on a combination of headers with the OEM catback by moving the downstream sensors further downstream. Also weird because the 2004 ECMs are much less likely to receive catalyst CELs if you were to delete the cats.

Just make sure that you have both your upstream sensors (and both downstream sensors if emissions is still a thing in your state.) The 5th sensor isn't needed especially if you don't have an AFR gauge in the cabin to monitor your AFRs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The wire is more than likely an air/fuel ratio sensor (AFR). There are no 02 sensors back there and nothing a stock car would have. If you want it on the new exhaust you'll have to have a shop weld a bung in.
Is the AFR sensor the same thread as a 02?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, typically the same size and thread/pitch.
I've ordered the correct thread and some welding electrodes so I can weld a bung in the new exhaust. Thanks for the help. How bad would it be to run the car without this sensor in the meantime?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I've ordered the correct thread and some welding electrodes so I can weld a bung in the new exhaust. Thanks for the help. How bad would it be to run the car without this sensor in the meantime?
Do you have a gauge for it up inside the car somewhere? If so it just won't have correct readings with the sensor out. If you don't have the gauge or have the sensor connected some other way there's no need for it at all. It's not something that came with the car or is needed for proper running.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have a gauge for it up inside the car somewhere? If so it just won't have correct readings with the sensor out. If you don't have the gauge or have the sensor connected some other way there's no need for it at all. It's not something that came with the car or is needed for proper running.
I only have the stock gauges which read torque in Kg.m, fuel efficiency in L/100KM, and voltage. I thought that it would have been a 02 sensor but if it's a AFR I might not need to even bother welding it onto my new exhaust?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I only have the stock gauges which read torque in Kg.m, fuel efficiency in L/100KM, and voltage. I thought that it would have been a 02 sensor but if it's a AFR I might not need to even bother welding it onto my new exhaust?
Not an O2, so if there's not a separate gauge for it you don't need it at all. My car had one when I bought it, it ran up inside the passenger foot well, so I pulled it and plugged the hole.

There are a total of 4 O2s on the V6: right before and right after each primary cat on each bank.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not an O2, so if there's not a separate gauge for it you don't need it at all. My car had one when I bought it, it ran up inside the passenger foot well, so I pulled it and plugged the hole.

There are a total of 4 O2s on the V6: right before and right after each primary cat on each bank.
Ah okay. Gonna jack my car up and take a photo of it, I'll get back to you

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

What do you think?

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
541 Posts
That's an O2 sensor. Probably a wideband O2 for an AFR gauge, which the car no longer has. It's not important and you can remove it completely as long as it's not one of your downstream O2s moved farther downstream. Double check that you still have sensors in the OEM manifolds after the pre-cats but before the larger cat. In the B1S2 or B2S2 locations.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Follow the wire. If it goes up into the cabin it's probably an AFR and you don't need it. If it's connected up inside the engine bay they may have relocated one of the downstream O2s, but that's pretty rare.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts