Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey NT,
I've failed inspection twice and I really need to get it passed cause its out of date. I've reset the ECU by leaving the battery unplugged to clear the CEL's and drove it for 100 miles and it didn't come back on.

When they were inspecting the car though, the CEL light came back on and I got the error codes 1166 and 1667 again. I've sort of cleaned the MAF, but not really. I've also read that I might need a new O2 censor???

Please help me. Should I got to the dealership to ask them about it? I didn't have this problem last inspection and I don't understand why I am having problems now...I believe the OBD says its running to rich.

Please help and thanks.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Oh and the car is running fine. The RPM's have gotten stuck a time or two, but I've cleaned the butterfly valvue and for the most part its all good. I don't want to get pulled over for out of date inspection :( cops around here seem to pull me over for anything.

Would it be best to get a new O2 censor from Hyundai or somewhere else? Link? P1166 and P1167. What's suggested. Thx

If this helps:
Car: 2004 V6 Tiburon
Headers/Catback: Both SSA

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Alright. I've read around and everyone has said clean your MAF. So I will be picking up some MAF cleaner tonight and doing this, resetting the ECU, and hopefully the CEL will go away. If it comes back on, should I look into a new O2 censor? How much would Hyundai charge to look at this? The car is at 62,000 miles and just out of 2nd ownership warranty.

**Edit**
I just noticed the title of the thread has the wrong code numbers. They are

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weird...I went to Autozone and picked up some MAF cleaner...when I came back out the CEL was gone? Think I will still take it to Hyundai for them to take a look at it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
You have headers and a catback huh. What did you do about your two O2 sensors after the cats?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
when i look up P1166 and P1177 i get 02 sensor heater circuit codes. nothing to do with the MAF, so you can quit playing with it.

sounds like whoever installed your headers over-twisted the wires on 2 of the sensors, causing an intermittent break in the circuits. you probably need 2 new o2 sensors, sorry. you have to be very careful when re-installing the o2s. they break easily if you dont know what youre doing.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have headers and a catback huh. What did you do about your two O2 sensors after the cats?
Correct. There is one before the CAT and one after. The one before has been hooked up while the other one didn't have anywhere to hook up to and thus is just used as a plug

when i look up P1166 and P1177 i get 02 sensor heater circuit codes. nothing to do with the MAF, so you can quit playing with it.

sounds like whoever installed your headers over-twisted the wires on 2 of the sensors, causing an intermittent break in the circuits. you probably need 2 new o2 sensors, sorry. you have to be very careful when re-installing the o2s. they break easily if you dont know what youre doing.
Are you sure. I would really like to try and pass again before going out and getting new sensors. I was quoted like $160.00 from Autozone for OEM ones or can get generic ones to wire up for $60.00...Man.. I will take it by Hyundai tomorrow and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
sry to hijack but, how many O2 sensors should you have on a 2003 GT 6spd, i just did a header install and i didnt have a O2 sensor anywhere near the Cat. there was only 4 total. 2 on each header

·
Registered
652 Posts
Oh and the car is running fine. The RPM's have gotten stuck a time or two, but I've cleaned the butterfly valvue and for the most part its all good. I don't want to get pulled over for out of date inspection :( cops around here seem to pull me over for anything.

Would it be best to get a new O2 censor from Hyundai or somewhere else? Link? P1166 and P1167. What's suggested. Thx

If this helps:
Car: 2004 V6 Tiburon
Headers/Catback: Both SSA

when you say the RPMS have gotten stuck what do you mean? like when your rolling in gear and RPMS are sitting around 2500 and you drop it into neutral and they stay there?

·
Registered
652 Posts
sry to hijack but, how many O2 sensors should you have on a 2003 GT 6spd, i just did a header install and i didnt have a O2 sensor anywhere near the Cat. there was only 4 total. 2 on each header
you have 4 total. there are cats in the headers. 3 total on the car. the bulge in the header is a cat. the on on the Y pipe is a secondary cat. the o2 sensors towards the top where main sensors and the bottom where the emissions sensors to check the cat

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
yeah i knew we had 3 cars total but i just wasnt sure becuase i when i got my headers there were 5 bungs, guessing one was just for a wideband or somthing

·
Registered
652 Posts
yup 5th is wideband. what threw me off though when i did mine cuz i knew about the 5 in the headers. theres one on my ssa catback too lol

·
Registered
502 Posts
Correct. There is one before the CAT and one after. The one before has been hooked up while the other one didn't have anywhere to hook up to and thus is just used as a plug

In the DIY for header install it said that on an 03 you could hang the secondary O2s and on an 04 you would have to put them somewhere. Spark plug non-foulers are the solution. You just have to drill them out to allow your O2 to fit in. They recess the sensor so it doesn't read as much dirty air.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
when you say the RPMS have gotten stuck what do you mean? like when your rolling in gear and RPMS are sitting around 2500 and you drop it into neutral and they stay there?
When I installed my Stage IV and BBTB, the cable was not long enough and the butterfly would sometimes stick open...this is pretty much fixed now.

In the DIY for header install it said that on an 03 you could hang the secondary O2s and on an 04 you would have to put them somewhere. Spark plug non-foulers are the solution. You just have to drill them out to allow your O2 to fit in. They recess the sensor so it doesn't read as much dirty air.
I didn't do my header install so I'm not completely sure how many O2 sensors there are or where they are located near the headers. The only two I know of are on the exhaust which there is one before the cat and one after (which is plugged and not wired).

I passed inspection last year without any problems. Of course an O2 sensor could have gone out, but my CEL has gone away and the car has been running great as normal...I sometimes wonder about the other cars that have loads of black smoke coming out of their exhaust and how they passed inspection...

Should I take it to Autozone or Hyundai and have them see if the codes are still there? Maybe I should go to Goodyear where they passed me last summer :)? I just want a sticker

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
**Update**
Took the car to both Autozone + Hyundai for scan: Both times got error 1166 & 1167.
-Autozone recommended that I clean the injectors...I don't think thats the issue
-Hyundai was going to charge me $100.00, but they acknowledged they had no answers and so I got away free. They said they would have to do an extensive diagnostic to find the problem...

Basically the car is running rich is what one of the Tech's said. I've never tuned the car so I'm not surprised, but how am I going to pass inspection since the codes are still there (no CEL light)? Any help/links would be great....I might try going back to the place that passed me last time.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
yes and no. you can only hang very early 03s, otherwise youll get a "no activity" code. later 03's-06 require you to put the o2 sensors in the exhaust stream, but they cant be too far out like the spacers place them; youll still get the 'no activity' code. just screwing them into the bungs provided in the headers is the solution. believe me, ive tried every possible option on my 03 and this is what worked for me and several others i know of. the secondary o2 sensors are there to check the functionality of the primary (header) cats, but they really dont have the sensitivity to do so, its a design flaw on hyundai's part (later quietly corrected in the 07+) that we can take advantage of.

**Update**
Took the car to both Autozone + Hyundai for scan: Both times got error 1166 & 1167.
-Autozone recommended that I clean the injectors...I don't think thats the issue
-Hyundai was going to charge me $100.00, but they acknowledged they had no answers and so I got away free. They said they would have to do an extensive diagnostic to find the problem...

Basically the car is running rich is what one of the Tech's said. I've never tuned the car so I'm not surprised, but how am I going to pass inspection since the codes are still there (no CEL light)? Any help/links would be great....I might try going back to the place that passed me last time.
no, no, no. the people at autozone are talking out their *** and the dealer's techs are complete idiots if they cant properly read a CEL code. your CEL codes are for HEATER CIRCUIT WIRING. nothing else. whoever did your headers messed up your o2 sensors. if you dont install them properly, you will put stress on the wiring and eventually cause shorts like this. replace your sensors properly and be done with it.

*to be thorough*
to properly replace an o2 sensor, you must disconnect it from its plastic connector, unscrew the old sensor and carefully screw the new sensor in place, then re-connect the connector. if you dont screw in the sensor first, you twist up the wires, putting stress on them leading to exactly this situation.
when whoever installed you headers removed your o2s to do the install, they probably didnt follow this procedure, so they twisted up the wires leaving them stressed at the sensor.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes and no. you can only hang very early 03s, otherwise youll get a "no activity" code. later 03's-06 require you to put the o2 sensors in the exhaust stream, but they cant be too far out like the spacers place them; youll still get the 'no activity' code. just screwing them into the bungs provided in the headers is the solution. believe me, ive tried every possible option on my 03 and this is what worked for me and several others i know of. the secondary o2 sensors are there to check the functionality of the primary (header) cats, but they really dont have the sensitivity to do so, its a design flaw on hyundai's part (later quietly corrected in the 07+) that we can take advantage of.

no, no, no. the people at autozone are talking out their *** and the dealer's techs are complete idiots if they cant properly read a CEL code. your CEL codes are for HEATER CIRCUIT WIRING. nothing else. whoever did your headers messed up your o2 sensors. if you dont install them properly, you will put stress on the wiring and eventually cause shorts like this. replace your sensors properly and be done with it.

*to be thorough*
to properly replace an o2 sensor, you must disconnect it from its plastic connector, unscrew the old sensor and carefully screw the new sensor in place, then re-connect the connector. if you dont screw in the sensor first, you twist up the wires, putting stress on them leading to exactly this situation.
when whoever installed you headers removed your o2s to do the install, they probably didnt follow this procedure, so they twisted up the wires leaving them stressed at the sensor.
Oh Man.
I agree, the Dealer Tech's didn't seem to be completely honest. I think they just wanted money to look through the car. I watched them diagnose the car and all they did was stick the OBD in and look under the hood with their hands on hips...Also the Autozone guys just wanted business.

Both agreed: CEL codes P1166 & P1167.
Both codes are still there even though my CEL is off and thus I am doomed to fail inspection...
But I passed inspection at the local Goodyear last summer :( Maybe I can get lucky again...would be a waste of $40.00 though if I don't...

I believe I will get under the car and check on that O2 sensor. You are saying there is one on the headers themselves? I guess I will look at the header DIY to try and figure out where to look....These are SSA headers that came with the car when I bought it.

Could it also be just a dirty MAF? I bought MAF cleaner, but haven't used it yet. Autozone wants $160.00 bucks for an O2 sensor though! And if that's not the problem, then I'm out a bit of money :(. Maybe I can find some online for cheaper.

Thank you very much for your help. I really need to get this done so I'm not pulled over...will be in so much trouble if I do.

·
Registered
652 Posts
hey man since you are in texas i could point you to a few places you can get a dirty inspection at. i used to have to do this with my truck that had open headers and no abs or parking brake. there is one in north richland hills but thats a 30 min drive for you. ill ask around and see if i can find anything closer are you in McKinney?

·
Registered
282 Posts
dude its simple the codes have to be erased from the ecu get the scan tool (autozone and tell the dude you want to try for your self ) pull the codes and hit erase. the autozone dude will tell you he cant erase them but you can!! as long as the light dont come back on when you go to get it inspected your ok. when the inspect it they are pulling ecu history

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey man since you are in texas i could point you to a few places you can get a dirty inspection at. i used to have to do this with my truck that had open headers and no abs or parking brake. there is one in north richland hills but thats a 30 min drive for you. ill ask around and see if i can find anything closer are you in McKinney?
Yes, I'm in McKinney. I don't really mind a 30 min drive or so. I just need this done ASAP cause McKinney cops will pull you over for ANYTHING. Send me a PM maybes? :D
The car runs fine and I acknowledge I prob need to eventually get it tuned, but isn't running rich better than lean? I think it might be a little rich and might have a bad O2 sensor.

dude its simple the codes have to be erased from the ecu get the scan tool (autozone and tell the dude you want to try for your self ) pull the codes and hit erase. the autozone dude will tell you he cant erase them but you can!! as long as the light dont come back on when you go to get it inspected your ok. when the inspect it they are pulling ecu history
But the CEL light isn't on...it comes on when they are running some sort of test and then goes off 20 mins later after I failed inspection or so...Maybe I can pull the ECU fuse and reset it and that will erase the codes?
Last time it was on for a little while and I unhooked the battery to keep it cleared till inspection.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts