Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, first off, let me start off by saying that I do realize this might be a stupid question, but I am genuinely confused.

I own a 2005 Tiburon.

According to google and wikipedia, all SE models come with V6 engines. My car has an SE badge on the rear bumper, so I (perhaps wrongly) assumed that it was an SE model.

The screenshot below is from Wikipedia..

And this is from Google...

I have done numerous different VIN searches online, and whats confusing is that my car is sometimes coming back as a V6/SE model and other times it's saying that its a 2.0L L4 DOHC 16V.

Here are some screenshots of the results coming back from various different VIN search websites.

The carfax (below) is coming back as an SE model, but with a 2.0 litre engine. (I was under the impression that all SE models were 2.7 litre)

According to Hyundai, the VIN comes back as an SE as well...

Hyundai Canadas site comes back as a "Tiburon Urban Edition" whatever the hell that means...

And finally, yet another VIN checking app is saying my car is a V6 with a 2.7L engine...

So, in conclusion, if someone can please clear this up for me, and let me know exactly how I would know for sure, that would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Do you have a v6? If so, is it a manual 6 speed? If so, its definitely an SE. If you arent sure, take a picture of your engine bay and shifter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the issue. I don't know what type of engine it is. The engine cover says DOHC 16V, I believe. It's an automatic, with shiftronic. So that means it's not a V6, even though according to everything Ive read, they didn't make none V6 versions of the SE??

·
Registered
97 Posts
Post a picture of your engine bay. Or if you're impatient, take off the top engine cover. A v6 will have six"pipes" visible on the upper intake manifold (the big aluminum thing right in the top center)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thats the issue. I don't know what type of engine it is. The engine cover says DOHC 16V, I believe. It's an automatic, with shiftronic. So that means it's not a V6, even though according to everything Ive read, they didn't make none V6 versions of the SE??
DOHC 16V is the 4 cylinder engine
16V = 16 Valves
DOHC = Dual Over Head Cams
2 Cams x 2 Ports (intake + exhaust) x 4 cyl = 16 Valves

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yep, Omar is correct!. I dont believe its an SE. However, a simple call to the dealer will tell you everything you need to know. They will ask you for your vin number, and they will tell you for sure everything you would want to know and more.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
16v is definitely a 4-cylinder. However, I see you're in Canada and I'm pretty sure the trim levels didn't follow the US norms. Yes in the US all SEs were V6 and 6-speed, but not necessarily in Canada. For example, Canada also had a Tuscani edition, which the US never had.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I am in Canada.

Here is the photo of the engine cover.

I guess VIN numbers coming back as different models is a more common thing than I had originally thought?
Though photo #2 that I posted is directly from Hyundais website and my vin came back as an SE....Still kinda confused here.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yep, this is an inline 4.
P.S. you might want to top off your power steering fluid a bit, it is almost at the 'min' mark.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah, sometimes websites are not accurate. I would call your local dealer directly because they would have the correct information in order to be able to provide correct parts for your car. Talk to the parts department.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
does the engine vin match the vin thats on the dash/ door jam?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Theres a ! in the vin :p

Edit: I was doing some reading on the wiki. In the UK they offered a 2.0SE model. It didnt say much about canada, but its possible that the UK and Canada share similar trim packages

·
Registered
113 Posts
So no one knows if they offered a 2.0 se model in canada?
Like three people have told you "yes" or "probably". What are you still confused about? Everyone has given you good advice except the second or so reply that said to take your engine apart some to look for six runners. It is easy to tell if it is 4 or 6 cyl with NO touching. Why do you care so much if it is an SE or not? It is a 4 cyl automatic. That sucks. Doesn't matter if it is SE or not.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Like three people have told you "yes" or "probably". What are you still confused about? Everyone has given you good advice except the second or so reply that said to take your engine apart some to look for six runners. It is easy to tell if it is 4 or 6 cyl with NO touching. Why do you care so much if it is an SE or not? It is a 4 cyl automatic. That sucks. Doesn't matter if it is SE or not.
easy bro. she was wondering if there was an SE trim with 4cyl in Canada.
where is the confusion here?

·
Registered
97 Posts
A pop-off cosmetic cover isn't exactly "taking an engine apart", and I know if I was op I'd want firm, definite proof either way. It's unlikely but engines can be swapped.

And honestly if I thought I bought a v6 to later discover it was a 4cyl, I'd be kinda pissed. Op has legitimate cause to care about this and if you don't then just stop reading.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts