·
Registered
4,295 Posts
is that a dirt race track?

nice, props for using a RD

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
i love your car just for the Discount Liquor on the side lol!!! Glad to see ya representin the tibs! :3_winkthu What ya got done to it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little about us....

fast joe reed, 41 driver and mechanic
tammy, 38 crew chief and tow driver

we run a 98 Hyundai Tiburon fx 2.0

we run on dirt, oval tracks in illinois ranging in size from 1/5 mile to 1/4 mile

2006 was a banner year for us, we ran 9 tracks and won 19 features. 43 total combined wins of heats, dashs and features

the mighty tiburon has been very good to us!!!

anyone who might have any tuner tips, we would appreciate them...info is scarce around here on these cars. to keep our car stock we must keep it stock appearing so no outragous stuff. thanks for any help ya'll can offer.

we are looking forward to running our second season in the tiburon...hoping it is as blessed as 06 was :3_koning:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
the only thing we've done to it is gut the interior and install a cage, seat, 5 point harness, new strutts (bent one in a race, replaced both), installed new clutch (clutch was out when we got it), new shifter cable and bearing in tranny (tore out 1st nite of racing~~probably a result of the damage previous owner had done when he tore the clutch out of it).

we've had people in our area on another forum laughing saying no such thing as a fast hyundia but man that car is mad fast!!! on the biggest track we run, i bet joe is hitting 80-90 mph in the straitaways. he says it has the longest 2nd gear he's ever seen. we run with a lot of rwd cars although most are fwd, and our car if not the fastest in the state is pretty close :3_coool:

you gotta see it run the dirt track, it is super smooth....goes thru traffic and corners like not many others can

we'll be posting video of some of our races soon on our website, i'll post a link as soon as i get it up http://pic5.piczo.com/fastjoereed/?g=20837290&cr=5 this is the link to our website, no video yet (my racing dvd's are being formatted so i can load them on the puter).

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
HAha ,I love your car, lol.

·
Registered
718 Posts
lolol awesome!

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
5,714 Posts
You're running a stock motor and you're saying your Tib is one of the fastest in the state? What exactly are you racing against?

Either way, nice to see a Tib on the track!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
see ya'll drive tiburons and even you are having a chuckle...lol

really our car is one of the fastest hornets on a dirt track around here.

we race against so many different kinds of 4 cyl it's crazy, from southern il we run against a group of cavaliers (the eiler boys, have very tricked out cars) and also a mad fast little porsche and a nissan (dont know the model) from downstate .

at our home track we run against a lot of probes and mazdas.

on the street i have no idea how we would do, but around here we do it in the dirt...lol and we really kick butt!!! for 2007 we are running for the first ever ump hornet points championship, if 07 is any where near the year we had in 06, i believe we have a very good chance in the chase :3_zoefzoe

have a good one all

tammy n joe

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Tuening Tip's:
Try a Cam gear, this will be hid under the cam gear cover so it's gonna look 100 percent stock. The Ignition timing is run directly off the cam sensor so by advancin the cam a little you are effectivly advancing the timing. most guys see a fairly good gain from this across the whole rpm range. You may be able to get similar results with just jumping 1 tooth on the stock sprocket.
Some guy's pull the resonator off the stock intake piping and this seems to help them a little. also, some guy's gut out the bottom of the filter box to help get more air in there.
If race gas is available/ you may be able to run it on premium... you can take pistons out of a 1.8 liter tiburon and they swap right in to increase the compression ratio....the best part is they're available from korea for less than 200 bux. They're supposed to up it to 11:1 compression.
Alot of guy's have ported the stock intake manifold and seem to have good results with it.
Check out www.elantraxd.com for info on porting the intake manifold.
A drop in K&N filter is always a good idea.
that's all i got.
One more thing,
There are koni inserts that require you to gut the stock struts and install the inserts (at least on the 03's) this may be available for your's. that'll look pretty stock and should outperform the stock units by quite a bit.

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,456 Posts
Did that car ever have a General Lee paint job?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're running a stock motor and you're saying your Tib is one of the fastest in the state? What exactly are you racing against?

Either way, nice to see a Tib on the track!
that we dont know ??

i bought it from a kid , he wasstreet racing it found it sitting in a back yard with cluch out ...
the kid said it had alot of something . but with a car siting in a back yard how do you know ??
all i know it runs like a dream!!!!!!!
fast joe

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
A little about us....

fast joe reed, 41 driver and mechanic
tammy, 38 crew chief and tow driver

we run a 98 Hyundai Tiburon fx 2.0

we run on dirt, oval tracks in illinois ranging in size from 1/5 mile to 1/4 mile

2006 was a banner year for us, we ran 9 tracks and won 19 features. 43 total combined wins of heats, dashs and features

the mighty tiburon has been very good to us!!!

anyone who might have any tuner tips, we would appreciate them...info is scarce around here on these cars. to keep our car stock we must keep it stock appearing so no outragous stuff. thanks for any help ya'll can offer.

we are looking forward to running our second season in the tiburon...hoping it is as blessed as 06 was :3_koning:
If no one has brought it up and your not there already you should check out RDTiburon.com Just like Newtiburon but its for 1st and 2nd gen tibs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts