Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my wife's Elantra had bad hard water spots from the sprinklers at our apartment complex. I don't even know how long they were there, but my clay bar wouldn't get them out and I think some got under a layer of wax too. If you've got some like these you'll have to try what I did. All you need is:

1. Spray bottle
2. Vinegar (just the regular distilled white stuff)
3. Water

First rinse any loose dirt off your car (or do a full wash). Fill a spray bottle with about a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water. Spray it on a small spot and work it in with a terry towel or microfiber or similar. I used a terry type towel to rub it, then a water-moistened microfiber to clean some of the vinegar residue off. That's it! Then wash your car and give it a good layer or two of wax and/or polish (my understanding is the vinegar removes the wax too).

The difference is night and day from how it was before! I only wish I had taken some before and after pics. It looks like it should again. The only thing left was some minute ring spots from the edges of some of the more ugly water spots, but after a couple of layers of wax they all but disappeared.

·
Registered
42 Posts
im having the same issue. stupid sprinklers are killing my car! I just tried the clay bar and its not really working. I'm going to have to try your solution now

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
At the dealership they call that an acid bath. They do that before putting the paint protection on that you can buy as an extra.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
anybody know how to get rid of water spots say... on the interior door panel? previous owner left the window down one time :x
Scrub it with a good brush and some cleaning solution.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
You should see our pantry... Gallon jugs of white vinegar - Once you buy a few black cars.. Vinegar becomes your best friend....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ok, so my wife's Elantra had bad hard water spots from the sprinklers at our apartment complex. I don't even know how long they were there, but my clay bar wouldn't get them out and I think some got under a layer of wax too. If you've got some like these you'll have to try what I did. All you need is:

1. Spray bottle
2. Vinegar (just the regular distilled white stuff)
3. Water

First rinse any loose dirt off your car (or do a full wash). Fill a spray bottle with about a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water. Spray it on a small spot and work it in with a terry towel or microfiber or similar. I used a terry type towel to rub it, then a water-moistened microfiber to clean some of the vinegar residue off. That's it! Then wash your car and give it a good layer or two of wax and/or polish (my understanding is the vinegar removes the wax too).

The difference is night and day from how it was before! I only wish I had taken some before and after pics. It looks like it should again. The only thing left was some minute ring spots from the edges of some of the more ugly water spots, but after a couple of layers of wax they all but disappeared.

is this safe of the car itself or just teh windows because i have it on the windows and paint orf the car and i claybarred and waxxed and it didnt come out...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I would just make sure to clay and wax it after. Try a test spot if you think its going to ruin your paint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts