Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Xtune catch can some time ago. Its basically a greddy knock off. I took it out recently and noticed that there was oil all over the outside of the can on the bottom. I took the whole thing apart and the gaskets were crap. I put teflon tape around all the fittings and used gasket maker and resealed the can. Anyone else have this catch can or another catch can that they needed to fix? Im wondering if i should have left the gaskets in and put the gasket maker around them. Also what kind of gasket maker should i use to stand up to the vacuum and the oil as im pretty sure the stuff i used might break down with gasoline products.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
Hurdler5280 said:
I purchased a Xtune catch can some time ago. Its basically a greddy knock off. I took it out recently and noticed that there was oil all over the outside of the can on the bottom. I took the whole thing apart and the gaskets were crap. I put teflon tape around all the fittings and used gasket maker and resealed the can. Anyone else have this catch can or another catch can that they needed to fix? Im wondering if i should have left the gaskets in and put the gasket maker around them. Also what kind of gasket maker should i use to stand up to the vacuum and the oil as im pretty sure the stuff i used might break down with gasoline products.
I remember reading about someone else having to do this too. The gaskets are just crap. If the liquid gasket you used is the kind they sell at auto stores to use for automotive purposes then you are fine. If not, go get some of that, redo it and you will be set.

edit: oh and don't use teflon tape, it doesn't like oil :3_winkthu
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,607 Posts
Toschinator said:
I remember reading about someone else having to do this too. The gaskets are just crap. If the liquid gasket you used is the kind they sell at auto stores to use for automotive purposes then you are fine. If not, go get some of that, redo it and you will be set.

edit: oh and don't use teflon tape, it doesn't like oil :3_winkthu
I work at a hydraulics shop and we use teflon tape all the time for NPT fittings...... I've never heard of teflon tape not liking oil. I suppose there is only 1 way to settle this....... that's a fight to the death...... at the monkey bars...... with water noodles.......at high noon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Toschinator said:
I remember reading about someone else having to do this too. The gaskets are just crap. If the liquid gasket you used is the kind they sell at auto stores to use for automotive purposes then you are fine. If not, go get some of that, redo it and you will be set.

edit: oh and don't use teflon tape, it doesn't like oil :3_winkthu
Never heard of this. Where did you hear that teflon wasnt good to use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bagpiper said:
Almost all of the "knock-off" catch cans suffer from this. Had to disassemble mine and silicone all the joints, and teflon the threads. It's fine now.
Did you leave the stock gaskets in or just take them out? Any idea what kind of silicone you used?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,475 Posts
Hurdler5280 said:
Did you leave the stock gaskets in or just take them out? Any idea what kind of silicone you used?
I had a tube of the black rtv sealant and used that. The gasket had puked out in certain places, so I had to remove them. I thought about cutting some out of gasket material I have, but the rtv is holding fine. I have a digital vac/boost gauge, and the vac hasn't leaked at all since sealing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
Hurdler5280 said:
Never heard of this. Where did you hear that teflon wasnt good to use?
Well in general teflon isn't meant to be used for high heat conditions plus I used teflon on mine and the oil seemed to cause it to break apart.... maybe it was just because the oil was hot.

I'm going to leave some teflon tape in a bottle cap full of oil overnight and see what happens :3_winkthu
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,607 Posts
If it were the heat that destroy's the teflon tape you'd think that teflon cookware wouldnt be soo popular. then again, the teflon coating on cookware is generally black, where as the tape is generally white. its probably got differant addatives etc. NPT pipe and teflon tape can be rated (and we have succesfully used it) as high as 15,000 PSI. so its deffinatly not the pressure that's killing the tape. I cant seem to find a max temp rating for teflon tape anywhere. its gotta be the temp of the oil that's killing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,351 Posts
White teflon tape is designed for use with non-chemical liquids and air piping... they make a yellow teflon tape that is designed for use with chemicals including motor oil...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,690 Posts
Toschinator said:
I remember reading about someone else having to do this too. The gaskets are just crap. If the liquid gasket you used is the kind they sell at auto stores to use for automotive purposes then you are fine. If not, go get some of that, redo it and you will be set.

edit: oh and don't use teflon tape, it doesn't like oil :3_winkthu
what he said. I had some let over from resealing my oil pan used that and no problems since then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UnHolyTib said:
White teflon tape is designed for use with non-chemical liquids and air piping... they make a yellow teflon tape that is designed for use with chemicals including motor oil...
Ahhh, good to know. Ill have to go pick some up.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top