Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find anything written on this so I decided to ask. I still have the factory floor mats from my '03 Tib and was wondering what you guys were doing to clean them (besides a vaccuum). Can you put them in the washing machine?? Or do you have to buy those mat cleaning kits from like Track Auto?

·
Registered
356 Posts
here is a car detailing trick for ya: use a little brush (for the kitchen) and while vacuuming, brush into 1 direction ONLY! don't go back and forth.

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
I shampoo mine whenever I rent a carpet shampooer to do the carpets in my house.

You can also just use some spray-on carpet cleaner, let it soak in, then spray it with a pressure washer or a strong stream from a hose, then hang it up to dry (not flat, but hanging up so the water doesn't pool). That works just as good. Since the mats are synthetic fibres and the backing is rubber (or plastic, not sure which), you don't have to worry about getting them soaking wet.

But do NOT put them in the washer. The agitator will crack the rubber backing (my wife put her RAV4 mats in the washer and they fell apart).

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
aLiEn_sPoReZ said:
But do NOT put them in the washer. The agitator will crack the rubber backing (my wife put her RAV4 mats in the washer and they fell apart).
Front-loading, high efficiency washer FTW (no agitator).

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
5,714 Posts
1) Take a high-pressure hose and wet mats
2) Apply shampoo with hard-bristled brush
3) Hose till all the suds are gone
4) Let air dry.

If that process will take 4 months of Canadian winter salt off my mats, it'll work for you.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
i just put rubber mats over my stock factory mats......

they don't look as nice...but i don't wanna mess up the nice 06 mats (red and black)..lol

·
Registered
802 Posts
Gamz said:
1) Take a high-pressure hose and wet mats
2) Apply shampoo with hard-bristled brush
3) Hose till all the suds are gone
4) Let air dry.

If that process will take 4 months of Canadian winter salt off my mats, it'll work for you.

yep...thats what i do too...well until i bought a kirby vacuum/shampooer. It is also what a lot of the dealerships do when they have trade ins.

·
Rool : Pron Spammer
4,097 Posts
I have a steam vac that I use. Does wonders for dirt, old soda, anything that was wet at one time and dried or settled in the little crevices.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Get them steam cleaned at a car detail shop. You can ussualt do your whole interior including you floor mats for about $50-$75

1 - 17 of 17 Posts