Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok strip LED's in hand extra wire, shrink tube and switch from "switch DIY post"
Tools req;
flat blade screw driver
wire strippers/cutters
crimpers
Long reach tool

Lets dive in. First pull the fuse cover under the dash then push out the side cover on the side of the dash. I then pulled the center panel as you will need to route wire under the dash. To do this you open the ash tray and use a straight blade screw driver and pull the bottom loose. the rest pop's out easily.

I tapped into the aux power outlet for my feed.

I then pulled the wire to the opening alone the door using the long reach tool.

As far as mounting the LED's I'm going to leave this up to you. But in fairness I used two zip ties one at each end of the strip and choose a location the gave the lighting effect I wanted. The rest is routing wires. With the center panel open you can use the long reach tool to route wires quite easily.

Once all the wires are pulled out the side opening you need to crimp the to hot sides of the LED's together. Then all of the grounds with a ground feed which I pulled from under one of the two exposed screws. Then crimp a connector to your power feed. I decided to install a aux power in my dash so I wouldn't have the wire of the GPS running everywhere. So I hooked that into the hot and ground also for that.
It may look cluttered but the two wires on the right are the LED feeds, the two in the center are the power feed from the aux outlet and the feed to the under dash aux outlet. The wires on the right side are all the grounds.

Now I routed the wire for my GPS forward to the wind shield and tucked it under the dash and ran it along to the A pillar and down to the opening in the side of the dash.

Ok plug the switch back into the dash and turn the ignition on and test our blue feet!

Hope this helps those who may have an interest to tackle this one on your own. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Harry

·
Administrator
6,930 Posts
Re: DIY foot well lights

Very nice work again!

+1 to you my friend, you really deserve it!

I might follow yours when I will do my footwell LED strip this summer!

·
Registered
919 Posts

yo where in PA are you

would you mind installing some for me?!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

yo where in PA are you

would you mind installing some for me?!
I'm in York
Would consider it a pleasure to install lights for you.
PM me the color you want and we can work out the timing and such.

Harry

·
Registered
919 Posts

^^^thanks so much for the chance....

I was thinking blue or if they have a white one............

if u wanna pick up the kit cuz Im not sure exactly what to buy or where to get it, I will fully reimburse you

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

^^^thanks so much for the chance....

I was thinking blue or if they have a white one............

if u wanna pick up the kit cuz Im not sure exactly what to buy or where to get it, I will fully reimburse you
This is not a kit. I have several colors I would have to restock blue and check on the white. I'm also looking into light rope for trimming several areas in the car. Not going to go over board but just enough.
PM me a phone number. I'm going to be at the Carlisle show next Saturday if you want to hook up and review the project?

Harry

·
Registered
245 Posts

I have 2 10" led strips from DD that I'm waiting to put it

They are hooked into a 9v battery so they aren't as bright or radiant as they could be. Hopefully they fill the footwells pretty nicely

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I have 2 10" led strips from DD that I'm waiting to put it

They are hooked into a 9v battery so they aren't as bright or radiant as they could be. Hopefully they fill the footwells pretty nicely
nice let me know if you need a hand?

H-

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ooooooo, I have found a new purpose for my 2 blue LED strips.. they were in my headlights but the cops didn't like that. So now they will be lighting up my feet :) thanks for the awesome DIY!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for this DIY! :)

I used some of your methods, but I connected the leds in parallel to the small ring where you insert the car key. This gives a nice behavior:
Door opening: leds come on
Insert key: leds stay on
Turn key: leds stay on, all dashboard lighting comes on as well (nice effect)
Turn for ignition: footwell lights dim, so they're not active when driving.
Turn of car and open door: leds come on again

:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts