Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another member on here is selling forged pistons for the v6. I was wondering what exactly this would do for the car. Will I be able to just up the boost with these? Why do people build the block if all you need is pistons to make 400whp? Sry for the noob questions just unsure and don't want to buy something I know allmost nuthing about!

Thanks in advanced !

·
Registered
72 Posts
The reason for building the block is to use all new components and to make sure everything is at the right tolerances. There's a lot more than just dropping pistons in if you are going forced induction.

Granted, you could just drop pistons in for a budget build, but I'd just save the coin and do it the right way with a fully built block.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even if im just looking for 400whp max? More arround 350 ..just trying to be safe and maybe save a little coin but im not sure on how all this works! Thanks for the reply tho !

·
Registered
72 Posts
At that power level (with a good tune) you should be fine honestly, but I would be prepared just in case.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's all im looking for 400max ...any more then that and I won't be able to put the power down anyway

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
i believe the forged part means they dont expand and contract as much or at all with heat as much as the stockers making them good for the amount of heat/boost created. im not positive tho.

but around the 300whp mark id replace the pistons, 400whp is where people supposedly snap rods in our cars. if this is ur daily driver id suggest u shoot for 280-320whp range maybe? i think u can maintain traction and daily driveability that way. in the higher numbers u start losing traction and the additional strain on ur engine producing the HP with no gain in the 1/4 mile is kinda not worth it. especailly if ur just doing pistons.

on a side not, aiming for 350whp on the delta engines w.o knowing what forged pistons are leads me to believe you dont know too much about boosting orrrr the capablities of our engines. i think u should do more research, compare ur goals with what you can afford and what feasable then start shoppin for parts.

-juan

·
pass dat....
4,358 Posts
IDK why we buy/bought these built race motors when only a handful of us have broken the 400whp mark. I believe only one person has broken 400whp on boost alone. I have only done it on boost and spray.

·
Banned
3,990 Posts
IDK why we buy/bought these built race motors when only a handful of us have broken the 400whp mark. I believe only one person has broken 400whp on boost alone. I have only done it on boost and spray.
Because there is this weird obsession with supercharging on these forums. You coulda just taken one of those built 2.7's with ported heads thrown a gt42r on it and made gobs more power. Then again no one wants to touch the transmission it seems. It took 7 years to get a clutch that could even hold 400whp. I also wonder why all these built 2.7's still redline at 6500. When I get my motor built i wanna make sure I can spin it to 8k all day long (stock is 7k redline).

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Because there is this weird obsession with supercharging on these forums. You coulda just taken one of those built 2.7's with ported heads thrown a gt42r on it and made gobs more power. Then again no one wants to touch the transmission it seems. It took 7 years to get a clutch that could even hold 400whp. I also wonder why all these built 2.7's still redline at 6500. When I get my motor built i wanna make sure I can spin it to 8k all day long (stock is 7k redline).
Mine doesn't redline at 6500:3_wink: ha ha ha.

true on the clutch, that was annoying!

Because supercharging is great! Seriously though, people have rashed motors and pistons on supercharged and turbocharged setups, so having at least forged pistons is a nice investment in my opinion. Throw in rods and then I am comfortable spinning well into the 7000's like I do. I guess that is why I had mine built.

·
Premium Member
5,304 Posts
AFAIK from reading about it here and talking to a few FI V6 Tiburon owners here in SoCal, you don't have to build the engine is going for power levels between 200whp to 250whp. Above 250whp, I think you need a built bottom end to be safe (Bakerking31 blew his above 250whp). Valkare is doing fine with approximately ~230 to 240whp.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Believe me I've done nuthing but reshurch our stock block!
And I will be turbocharged within the next week.
However I am not all that smart on the built bottom aspect of boosting. My origonal goals were set for 275whp. As a DD

Now that the car has been payed off and I basically have it as a spare car at the moment my goals have gone up. I love my tibby and intend on keeping it and eventually having it become a track only car. With 400whp being my top goal w.o spray. Just 15-20 psi lol....not sure how feasable it is but im sure with time and money it can be done. All in all..I just wanted to kno if I get forged pistons can I up the boost to maybe 10psi instead of the normal safe 6-8!
Again thanks a lot 4 all the help!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also I was under the impression that with the upper and lower from NGM made is possible to carry the power all the way to 7k withought the tib falling on its face up there?

·
Banned
3,990 Posts
Yes you can just get forged pistons but the downtime and cost wont be worth it for just pistons. Do rods replace bearings maybe modify the crank to prevent lubrication issues. But ill be honest a track only tiburon is a retarded goal.

The upper intakemanifold from NGM does allow the car to breath past 5500rpm.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Also I was under the impression that with the upper and lower from NGM made is possible to carry the power all the way to 7k withought the tib falling on its face up there?
well it does increase flow but the length of the runners move the powerband up to 6800 up from 5500. so yes

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok well I was expecting a responce like that about the track tib. All I can say is I love the tibby and I kno its never going to be the fastest thing out there ..but I can bet it will be one of the only ones out there! And I would like knowing I have something built mostly myself that is allmost one of a kind.(espically if only one person has broke the 400whp mark on boost alone)

Also glad I was correct about something lol !

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
What is your recommended redline brownnote?
on my motor, I have it set to 7300 rpms, but I know of people wanting more, and there might be higher out there, sky is the limit really with reflashing it... just don't know how much you want to spin past the upper 7k mark.

At any rate, I built my tib because it was fun and have had a lot of fun with it, and am glad I did the whole motor when I did because it has held up beautifully (and will be for sale soon most likely!). Seriously though, have fun with it and do what makes you happy!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks 4 all the info ..I guess I midas well just save up and get the budget block from NGM..but I was just trying to up the boost a little and not spend 5k...but as im learning nuthing with cars( espically our cars ) is cheap.

On a side note ..I remember duffer at one point was working on a budget block...and anything from him is allways good so hopefully I could go in that direction!

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
AFAIK from reading about it here and talking to a few FI V6 Tiburon owners here in SoCal, you don't have to build the engine is going for power levels between 200whp to 250whp. Above 250whp, I think you need a built bottom end to be safe (Bakerking31 blew his above 250whp). Valkare is doing fine with approximately ~230 to 240whp.
Yah, 250whp above is more realistic goal than 300whp for most on stock internals.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Alright with Turboing I say 300whp is reasonable and supercharging 250whp just because of the stress that the supercharger puts on the motor.... Thats just my opinion tho and Also What I think you should do is fine a 2.7 motor and have it hanging out in a garage if you can and start taking it apart... you can get a used motor for our cars for less then a 1000$ then just buy pistons, rods, and etc. then if you want the heads and stuff from NGM get them other wise port the heads that are already there... that would be if you did all the work right around 3k without NGM heads but with ported.... instead of the 5k from NGM...
Just My Opinion tho I could be wrong...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts