Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running fine for the time I had it on. But got off work, went to start the car...BOOM...a little struggle ensued and it died.

Poor welds 🤷‍♂️ (the fuzz is from the hood sound deadening)

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
541 Posts
Lol that's the 2nd NGM I've seen pop like that. How much PSI were you running when it popped? The welds on the other one I saw looked pretty bad... like they were welded with pure argon and too low of a current increasing the porosity inside the welds. Aluminum really needs an argon/helium mix for better penetration and less porosity. Another fine example of NGM cutting corners to increase profit on their overpriced products. Makes me so mad that these things still sell for $1200 used...

How much do you want for the manifold in its current condition?

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
541 Posts
@chase206 I'll probably see about rebuilding it dunno.
as for psi the car is just N/A. Don't know the compression though
lol WAT? You should never see positive pressure in the manifold while N/A that would do that to an intake manifold under normal operating conditions. You must have backfired up into the intake due to an ignition timing issue or maybe one of your cams jumped time and the intake valve was still open during an ignition event. Or worse, you dropped a valve guide and a valve was stuck open. I strongly suggest inspecting your cam timing and doing a compression/leakdown test to see if you have a solid seal with your valves shut.

One of the other issues with NGM's design is that they welded a thin 11 gauge or so sheet to a thick half inch plate. The huge disparity in size makes it difficult to weld with the correct current. If the current was high enough to penetrate the half inch plate with any kind of quality weld, it would blow through the 11 gauge sheet. If the current is just right for the 11 gauge sheet, it won't penetrate the weld deep enough into the half inch sheet. If you contract a fabricator to repair the manifold, make sure they are experienced enough to do it correctly with argon/helium mix. Preheating the material and back purging the argon/helium mix will greatly improve the weld penetration and purity.

Reactions: Scorpio13

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@chase206 we'll see. Finnicked around with it and noticed some of the spark wires were real lose. When the car was started, it immediately backfired, but I managed to gentle hold the throttle for a could of seconds, but died as soon as I lifted my foot.

And that's when I saw the manifold.
Timing Belt and spark plugs/injectors have all been replaced within the recommended intervals.
But for now the car shall sit until I have time to grab it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts