Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you safely break in your forged pistons with the turbo installed but the compressor inlet airfltered and outlet blowing to atmosphere instead of connecting to your intake? Of cos the oil feed and oil drain and the coolant for the turbine will be connected and running for cooling the bearings. Will running like this for abt 2000km cause any damage to the turbo? Will there be loud noise coming from the boost created from the compressor outlet?

Jsar

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Jsar said:
Can you safely break in your forged pistons with the turbo installed but the compressor inlet airfltered and outlet blowing to atmosphere instead of connecting to your intake? Of cos the oil feed and oil drain and the coolant for the turbine will be connected and running for cooling the bearings. Will running like this for abt 2000km cause any damage to the turbo? Will there be loud noise coming from the boost created from the compressor outlet?

Jsar
i'd recommend you just to control your throttle and don't mess something with this... there would be no harm i assume, but you'd better at least get an airfilter and get it on the compressor inlet. in addition i'd fixate the wastegate opened..

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah that sounds like a better idea, seems the turbo would be spinning faster than it should if it wasn't connected to anything...?

·
Registered
510 Posts
yes it will cause the damage. the turbo will overspin itself and take out the bearings. trust me, had a friend do this, it lasted about 1 minute. when i did my rebuild on my eclipse i just put one of the silicon couplers on the output of the turbo and found something that fit in the other end of the silcon coupler like a plug and used the hose clamps to hold it in place. i was told this was the best thing to do and i had no problems with it

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
06orangecrush said:
yes it will cause the damage. the turbo will overspin itself and take out the bearings. trust me, had a friend do this, it lasted about 1 minute. when i did my rebuild on my eclipse i just put one of the silicon couplers on the output of the turbo and found something that fit in the other end of the silcon coupler like a plug and used the hose clamps to hold it in place. i was told this was the best thing to do and i had no problems with it
Thank you, guess I will just be patience for the break in period.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Ive run my turbo free spinning once for 2 days, and no harm happened. Yes its easier to free spool it without any backpressure from the motor itself but it wont damage it in short term use.

However, just hook up your turbo, and just do the normal engine break in. No need to seperate the charge piping. Ask yourself this, do they do that to stock turbo cars? Just break it in normally.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dvanderk said:
Ive run my turbo free spinning once for 2 days, and no harm happened. Yes its easier to free spool it without any backpressure from the motor itself but it wont damage it in short term use.

However, just hook up your turbo, and just do the normal engine break in. No need to seperate the charge piping. Ask yourself this, do they do that to stock turbo cars? Just break it in normally.
Problem is with the dyno tuning. If I install the turbo now, I'll have to be really careful not to create any boost at all cause my injectors are not setup for boost yet. And to setup my injectors, I'll need to put the car on dyno tuning which will definitely take it up to maximum rpm. So without proper breaking in of the forged pistons and clutches, I cant dyno tune it, there can't connect up the turbo charge pipe to the intake.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Without boost building in the intake tract, there is no pressure to tell the wastegate to open. That hose that connects from your intake to your wastegate is what "tells" (actually pressure activated based on wastegate spring rate) the wastegate to open, diverting exhaust gas away from the turbo. The exhaust from your engine will be 100% pushed through the turbo. Without this diversion to limit how much exhaust is pushing the turbo, it allows it to continue accelerating, usually quickly into a danger zone outside any normal operating range.. You almost always have to divert SOME exhaust gas away from the turbo. If you didn't ever need a waste gate, either your turbo is WAY too big, or you are running a VERY built engine with a big turbo.

·
Registered
31 Posts
dvanderk said:

No, ALL cars require or at least it is recommended that you break the car in for the first 1000 km or miles if it is brand new.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I thought it was for the first 5000 km.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
no, not 5000km, most cars break-in for couple thousands

1 - 14 of 14 Posts