Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I've searched all around and I'm about to have an aneurysm if I can't figure this out.

Back in April or May I bought a set of the Diode Dynamics CCFL angel eyes. The install went a bit rough, but I got them in and looking good. A few weeks later I got the Apexcone 55w HIDs from infinite-leds.com. I installed them without using a relay harness and again, they worked and looked very nice.

However, since I didn't use the relay harness, my gauges went all crazy, and I eventually got a CEL, so I decided to try installing a relay harness (also from infinite-leds) to see if that would fix my issues.

I got the relay harness installed, went to turn on my lights, and there were three separate results:

1) My HIDs still worked fine, and my gauges did not go crazy when I turned them on.

2) My angel eyes only turned on on the driver side; the passenger side ones would not turn on.

3) The check engine light turned off.

----

I checked to make sure everything was connected correctly, and could find nothing wrong. The red ring connector on the HID harness was attached to the positive terminal, and the black to a ground on the chassis. The same goes for the harness for the AE's.

I tried a few different things, even moving the wires further away from one another, to try and see if I could figure it out, but nothing.

Then, I noticed a buzzing sound when I turned on the angel eyes only. I found the source, and on one of the heat-shrunk connectors on the passenger side (the white wires, black connectors), there was a little smoke coming out.

And to screw matters up entirely:

My check engine light came on again two days later.
My gauges again are going crazy every time I flick on my HIDs.
My angel eyes still do not work, and I have them disconnected altogether to make it even on both sides.

Please let me know if you have any ideas!

Thanks very much!
~Smmoke~

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
hid issue is without the relay ..i got the same issue but i got used to it ..but i never got an check engine light for that ...you should check that out at autozone and get the code.
angel eyes on passenger side ..get like a 9 volt battery and run the line direct to see if it turn on ...ii is possible the tube on the angels is broken

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hid issue is without the relay ..i got the same issue but i got used to it ..but i never got an check engine light for that ...you should check that out at autozone and get the code.
angel eyes on passenger side ..get like a 9 volt battery and run the line direct to see if it turn on ...ii is possible the tube on the angels is broken
The code I had is P0113, Intake Air Temp Sensor high input. Tried replacing the sensor, didn't clear the code. I don't know if this is the same code.

Also, I don't think the tube is broken, as they were working before I put on the harness, and I was very gentle with everything.

*Puts up flame shield*

How would I go about doing that with the 9V battery, exactly?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bump for the front page, I miss my AE's!

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
To test them, take the positive line for the AE and touch it to the positive of the battery, then the neg to the neg. They should light up, though I'm not sure if a 9v is too much. I assume they are wired into one of the 12v lines in the headlights so you should be fine if thats the case.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
If they work, we'll go from there.

If they don't before giving up, try adding in two AA batteries in series to that. I don't know if 9v will light the CCFL AE's up or if they need 12.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, thanks! I'll try this tomorrow; I don't have a garage OR a 9V battery, so I can't do anything once it's dark. But I'll post an update when I get to it.

Thanks again!
~Smmoke

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
the check engine light is not connected to your headlights, so get that out of your mind. separate issue.

depending on the HID kit youre using, the relay may not be necessary. if they have the small digital ballasts, you dont need it at all. the relay does NOT and never did stop the "gauge flicker". but that should only happen when you flip them on/off.

angel eyes, i have no idea. try tracing all the wires to the pass. side and making sure you have no loose connections.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
yup check engine light and headlights of no connection at all like said.

angels eyes im also gonna say trace and check your wires.

hids id just learn to live with the 5 seconds of crazy gauges if you put a relay on and it did not help, hids just require a lot more energy to initially fire up then regular headlights do.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the relay does NOT and never did stop the "gauge flicker".
Son of a....

Wish I knew that before I even bought the darn thing =P

As for the gauge flicker, is there going to be any issue with my inspection when they test my headlights?

And an update on the angel eyes: when I got home tonight, I tried the 9V battery test, and it didn't work. So for the heck of it (nothing better to do), I took everything apart, HIDs, angel eyes, ballasts, relay harnesses... everything. And then, I put it all back together. I turned on my lights and LO AND FREAKING BEHOLD,

the angel eyes are working.

I don't know what happened, or what I did differently, but there it is. They work. Thanks for your inputs everyone, at least now I know I can look elsewhere for my little CEL problem.

Peace,
~Smmoke~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts