Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,
2003 tiburon 4 cyl base model. with I/H/E and spark plugs and wires.
At some point in time today my frost plug on the rear of the motor decided to elope with all of my coolant to the highway. Im not sure why it happened. I havent touched the coolant system except to flush it a couple months ago as per my stupid hyundai dealership told me to. I'll admit, im pissed off that my car is broke down. im pissed off that im going to have to fix it and my chances of getting warentee on this at 92,000km are slim to none. And im scared that i warped the head and will have to pull the motor and rebuild. but that's not what's really earking me rite now. all i wanna know is... HOW IN THE HELL DID MY GOD DANM FROST PLUG FALL OUT?!?!?!?!? not to mention, my coolant temp gauge read normal the whole way through. I understand that the coolant temp sensor is rite after the thermastat but as the coolant was draining out of my system at the speed of light you would think the sensor would have noticed that????? aaaaagggrrrhhhhh, it even read normal after i was parked and the whole system was totally drained onto the pavement
Here's the full story;
Aprox 2:00 pm i leave my parents place and hit the hightway for a short 15 min drive back to town. on the way there i notice my feet are cold and turn the heater dial to feet....it doesnt help much. no smell, not nuttin. then i get off the highway and stop at a red light. turn the dial to panel and all hell breaks loose. the motor starts pouring coolant steam everywhere and i can smell it thru the vents. so i get my @$$ to the closest parking lot about 2 secconds away, actually i just got going fast enought and then shut the motor down and coasted there. pop the hood and there is coolant all over the passanger drive shaft and rear of the block......here's the part that scares me. there was a puddle of coolant on top of my transmission rite below the thermastat housing and a small stream of coolant down the front of the block between cyl's 2 and 3. anyone have any insight as to how in the heck this happened? Can someone confirm my worst fear, that stream of coolant between cyls 2 and 3 mean's my block/head is warped? I just dont understand why this would happen!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Well THAT sucks. Where are you in Canada, and just how cold was it the day and night before it happened?

Freeze plugs are supposed to pop out if they're doing their job properly. If they DO pop out, you prolly had an incorrect antifreeze/water ratio (you said you just flushed your system) Too much water will freeze, expand, and POW. Cya-lata frost/freeze plug. You're one of the smarter guys on here, I'm sure you know all of that anyway.

If it was cold enough, the plug prolly shifted and moved out of it's bore, barley being held in, and once you hit the highway, and your system started to pressurize, she blew.

That's odd about your temp gauge too. I know when I airlocked my cooling system, that gauge went sky-high in seconds.

The coolant between your cyls on the front is weird too. I'd be looking at a blown headgasket before jumping to warpage. Looks like you're in for a bit of a teardown either way. ****** luck man. Maybe Hyundai will come good for some or all of it!

Keep us posted.

-BRR

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the funny part,
I had issues with the coolant system before when it would get to -40 so this time i made sure it was good to -45 or 50. then to top it all off, it was maybe -5 when this happened. its driving me nutz and the dealership doesnt seem to be open!!!! AHHHGGGRRRRR
by the way im in edmonton alberta. it's been uber mild all month. this all makes no sense!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE:
Turns out......it wasnt a frost plug....
Finally got a chance to go in there with a flash light and have a good look.
It was indeed the dealer installed block heater. Im not sure if they installed a defective unit, if the incorrectly installed the unit or if they installed the wrong part for my car. reguardless im gonna call and see what happens tomorrow morning when they open. Im hoping that the dealership will stand behind the product that they installed.

·
Registered
397 Posts
That's good to see that it wasn't something that you did.. but rather something they had a part in!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Final update.
The dealership took no responsibility for the part THEY installed. Said it was over the 1 year warrenty on that particular part and the 100,000km powertrain warrenty did not apply. They did however give me a 20 percent discount on the parts and labour and a 15 percent discount on the parts for my timing belt that im going to do myself. All in all i was not impressed. the dealership ended up messing up on the install anyways. they didnt put in enough coolant and now im low. Either that or i have a BAD leak. but i dont see/smell a leak anywhere so im assuming the dealership screwed up.....AGAIN. The dealership was southtown hyundia in edmonton alberta. I would avoid this dealership at all costs if i were looking for a new car. their service just sucks, they have a new service manager every few months and they're never on time with repairs/oil changes. Sadly im stuck cuz i bought the danm car there.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THE SAUGA CONTINUE'S
More great news. I have a blown head gasket!
Turns out the mechanic did add enough coolant and it was a blown head gasket that was causing that issue. Apparently with a blown head gasket the combustion gasses that are leaking past the gasket will displace some of the coolant. the coolant then overpressured and flowed into my coolant overflow. It just occured to me that the head gasket leak may have caused an overpressure in the coolant that blew out the block heater? not likely but possible?
reguardless, this one's on warrenty for sure! i've got 8,000km left on my powertrain warrenty and im danm well gonna get my money's worth!
im gonna raise hell if they even try for a seccond to deny this one!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, its back at the dealership and they're doing the head gasket on warenty so im happy. perhaps some food for thought...
When the head gasket goes that allows the combustion pressure into the waterjacket and that causes pressure in the coolant that causes some of the coolant to be pushed into the overflow. perhaps it was the buildup of pressure that caused my block heater to fall out in the first place??????? that's all fine and dandy, but i guess the next question becomes......why would the block heater fall out before a frost plug? the frost plugs are in there to fall out if they become overpressured......i guess it's answers i'll never know. Im going to say my head gasket went and the combination of the heat and pressure forced the block heater out.
hopefully this will be the end of my sauga with the dealership.....
they've stepped up to the plate and finally fixed my baby under warenty. so im happy. they are also going to do a timing belt "while they are in there" for an extreamly good price. after all the fighting i had to do, they finally came thru for me.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
JDOGG said:
Final update.
The dealership took no responsibility for the part THEY installed. Said it was over the 1 year warrenty on that particular part and the 100,000km powertrain warrenty did not apply. They did however give me a 20 percent discount on the parts and labour and a 15 percent discount on the parts for my timing belt that im going to do myself. All in all i was not impressed. the dealership ended up messing up on the install anyways. they didnt put in enough coolant and now im low. Either that or i have a BAD leak. but i dont see/smell a leak anywhere so im assuming the dealership screwed up.....AGAIN. The dealership was southtown hyundia in edmonton alberta. I would avoid this dealership at all costs if i were looking for a new car. their service just sucks, they have a new service manager every few months and they're never on time with repairs/oil changes. Sadly im stuck cuz i bought the danm car there.
no youre not, you can go to any hyundai dealer for your work... at least here in the USA you can. not that one is usually better than the other.. but good to hear that youre getting it fixed under warranty, which should have happened in the 1st place if they dont want you raising hell all over the place.. if a dealer refused to warranty a part/system that they installed and recently worked on, id be out there in the lot with my lawyer... pulling valve stems on every tire in the lot, LOL. (my lawyer is fun)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, yer danm lawyer sounds cool.
Ima gonna get me one of them!
I suppose i cant throw rocks till im outta their glass house rite?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts