Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the near future I am planning on purchasing an 08 Tiburon. One downside of the car is the low fuel economy (EPA 17/24). I was wondering if there was any type of simple upgrades (that will not void the warranty) that can be made to increase the gas mileage but also increase performance as well. If anyone has any suggestion I would be much appreciative.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Don't drive aggressive and you'll see good mpg.

·
Registered
959 Posts
an intake and exhaust might help a bit, nothing to write home about though. Still, the V6 tibs get pretty good gas mileage, its a small V6 at 2.7L

·
Registered
959 Posts
What mileage do you get (assuming you dont drive fast all the time).
You can get 600km to a tank if you do staight hwy. I get usually around 475km mixed. That is around 24 mpg US / 30mpg imp

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I've always gotten better than the EPA numbers. I've kept track of my fill-ups since I got the car 5.5 years ago, and I've averaged about 26mpg. I think my highest for a full tank was around 31 and the lowest about 18. Most tanks I am around 25-28.

Just keep your foot out of the gas all the time and you'll be fine. I have intake and exhaust but honestly I don't think they make any noticeable difference in mileage. So you could go ahead and do those mods no worries. I'm not sure they increase mileage, but if you drive conservatively they won't hurt it either.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've always gotten better than the EPA numbers. I've kept track of my fill-ups since I got the car 5.5 years ago, and I've averaged about 26mpg. I think my highest for a full tank was around 31 and the lowest about 18. Most tanks I am around 25-28.

Just keep your foot out of the gas all the time and you'll be fine. I have intake and exhaust but honestly I don't think they make any noticeable difference in mileage. So you could go ahead and do those mods no worries. I'm not sure they increase mileage, but if you drive conservatively they won't hurt it either.[/QUOTE

I think that 25-28 is pretty respectable (about what I get with my Lumina now). I have been doing some internet searches and have found that performance chips have a decent increase in fuel efficiency as well as performance. The problem with adding exhaust, CAI, etc is I think that it voids the warranty (granted I could be wrong). I have read that getting a chip is ok as long as the ECU stays the same. Thoughts?

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've always heard that most anything intended to increase performance will only hinder your fuel mileage. Yeah some things like intake and exhaust can help the motor run more efficiently, but both will change the AFR and will most likely require the ECU to add more fuel into the mix, thus decreasing fuel mileage. There are almost no "chips" for the Tiburon, but there are simple ways of tuning the ECU I believe. But I have not done this myself.

I would say if mileage is really a big issue, get a 4 cyl, and a manual tranny.
I have the V6 with 5-speed man. and I average 26-28 and have broke the 30MPG number a few times (all mixed driving, haven't taken any trips in the Tib yet) in the year I have owned the vehicle. I just have a custom exhaust, and honestly made zero difference + or - in my fuel economy.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Your fuel mileage will be directly related to your driving ....I averaged 22mpg around town N/A and 19-20 with the blower at 25 psi, I actualy got better gas mileage highway with the blower at 30- 32 mpg but only 28 mpg N/A. There's no such thing as a " Chip " for the Tiburons, they are a rippoff and just a useless gimic:3_bier:

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
What mileage do you get (assuming you dont drive fast all the time).
Back when I had a stage 1 alpine s/c I got 28-33mpg on the highway. 33mpg normal driving 28mpg more agressive all highway. My average was like 20-22mpg city/highway. Right now I get a little bit less than that with assassin.

The next best thing you could do is wire in some sort of piggyback and lean out your fuel mixture a tiny bit. Best if done on a dyno or if you buy a wideband.

·
Registered
57 Posts
READ and you'll see what others are getting.

I was going to ask this same question myself:2_redface but decided to read a little first.

So not to take over or anything .... but ..... If you add a CAI then your bottle necked at the TB. So ya get a BBTB and now your bottle necked at the UIM. So add that, then ya need the LIM. Now you have all this air going in nice and easy so you burn lean and the ECU adds fuel! :3_usehead

Am I right here folks or no??

·
Dedication to Thai Cuisine
7,687 Posts
most basic bolt on performance, (intake and exhaust) will decrease resistance to flow, making your engine pump air more efficiently. I saw a 2 mpg increase with an intake on the highway, and a 0.5 mpg increase with headers. No noticable difference with the cat back exhaust. Now I get around 29-30 mpg on the highway at 75-80 mph, and 22-25 around town. Of course, your driving style will be the biggest factor in determining your gas mileage. Go to ecomodder.com and check out some fuel saving driving tips

·
Registered
57 Posts
most basic bolt on performance, (intake and exhaust) will decrease resistance to flow, making your engine pump air more efficiently. I saw a 2 mpg increase with an intake on the highway, and a 0.5 mpg increase with headers. No noticable difference with the cat back exhaust. Now I get around 29-30 mpg on the highway at 75-80 mph, and 22-25 around town. Of course, your driving style will be the biggest factor in determining your gas mileage. Go to ecomodder.com and check out some fuel saving driving tips
An by "intake" do you mean CAI through to LIM? Just to UIM? The whole KaBango?

Just for the record I get avg 25 mpg with a 40/60 (cty/hwy) drive per tank. On average .....

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
READ and you'll see what others are getting.

I was going to ask this same question myself:2_redface but decided to read a little first.

So not to take over or anything .... but ..... If you add a CAI then your bottle necked at the TB. So ya get a BBTB and now your bottle necked at the UIM. So add that, then ya need the LIM. Now you have all this air going in nice and easy so you burn lean and the ECU adds fuel! :3_usehead

Am I right here folks or no??
From what it looks like either people are getting exceptional mpg or not at all. I think that the claims of 30+ are a little far fetched unless they are driving with an I4 instead of V6. I guess I will just find out when I get the car and drive it around a little. I figure most of my miles will be highway but I get off work around 5 o'clock and that is when the traffic is hellish:m_BangHea . The one thing no one has mentioned though is with the warranty ie will CAI rid the car of the warranty (granted I guess I will figure that out when I get the car).

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've got the v6 only intake/exhaust right now. On a road trip I got 30 mpg and it was almost all highway. On average from just commuting I get between 25-27 mpg. My commute to work everyday is about 8 city 15 Highway. I shift at about 2500 and have a 6 speed.

·
Dedication to Thai Cuisine
7,687 Posts
An by "intake" do you mean CAI through to LIM? Just to UIM? The whole KaBango?

Just for the record I get avg 25 mpg with a 40/60 (cty/hwy) drive per tank. On average .....
a cold air intake only

·
Registered
869 Posts
I actually got 34.1 MPG on my '08 GT V6 on my last tank and am currently set to get around that much on this one as well. Keep in mind that the majority of my driving consists of going 65ish MPH on smooth interstates for probably 65% of the tank and then the rest of it is used in low speed (35ish MPH) driving on smooth back country roads. I'm also very light on the throttle and generally drive the car like a grandpa, haha.

-Brian

1 - 20 of 65 Posts