Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm also very light on the throttle and generally drive the car like a grandpa, haha.

-Brian
I can attest to this in person ... ROFL. Dude, I drive totally opposite. Haha

·
Registered
57 Posts
a cold air intake only
So for about $250 you can get a CAI and add about 2mpg.
For me thats about 24 miles per tank, around 1 gallon.
Filling the tank about every 10 days @ 12 gals a fill (average) with 365 days a year. To keep it easy lets say I fill my tank 36 times a year.
That's a savings of 36 gallons and @ $4 a gallon that's $144.
I'll recover my costs after 2 years, IF prices stay at $4.

IDK .. worth it? Maybe... but it appears to me if you wanna add stuff for power your not going to get good gas mileage because your going to use that power! LOL I know I would, so I'll most likely stay a stocker and let the young blood have at her when I'm done with her.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yep, I've given some pretty serious thoughts to adding an Injen SRI because I know on my old car an intake increased my MPG by a little bit, but I almost don't wanna mess with the engine on this car at all. It has more than enough power for my daily driving needs, sounds great, and is getting me much better results mileage-wise than I ever would've hoped :)

....that being said, if a deal ever comes up on a used Injen SRI you can bet I'll be on it like white on rice, haha.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I drive the V6 6 speed from new in 2005. I averaged 20 mpg combined city and highway driving. I netted a 2 mpg gain after installing the AEM CAI and lost mpg after installing the DC catback. Of course that is my fault because I run the rpm's to 3500 and 4000 when shifting. I like the spirited driving. Even though the V6 is not as powerful as everyone would like, it still has good low to mid range torque. Changing the air intake and exhaust for an increase in mpg is neither here nor there because your purpose for these mods are for performance gains and with performance gains comes the heavy foot and loss in mpg's. No one says, I am going to do $2000.00 worth of performance mods to get better fuel milage. What you can do for the V6 is get the I/H/E reflashed ECU from NGM, an AEM UEGO wideband meter, a NEO piggyback tuner plus the intake and exhaust and take it to a dyno. This will probably net you the best combination of performance and mpg's that you can get from the V6 Tiburon, but don't expect miracles. Anything other than this and you will just watch your fuel gauge move faster than your speedometer.
If you are serious about mpg's, just get an I4 and dress it up or shop the auto market for the economy that you are looking for.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a ridiculously light foot 99% of the time and I have a hard time breaking 24mpg mixed driving, usually around 22-24. Does pretty good on the highway though, and honestly not much worse then my old RD Tib did... V6 AT, intake and exhaust

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I was talking to a friend of mine (who is a gear head for real) and he didnt think that the CAI would void the warranty granted I am going to make 100% before I install anything like that. Heck the motor has not even been broken in (not that it needs it haha). I dont think that i will be modifying the car that much for a long time, partly because I will not have any money and secondly cause I dont know what I am doing with it either haha I will post some pics once I get the car, just gotta land that job. Graduating tomorrow, heck yea!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Get the 2.0. Mine gets 24/28 mpg. Sometimes I can get around 35 because I have a feather foot and learned the throttle. But the 2.0 in my opinion is better because you can mod it and tune it better because it has an iron engine block opposed to the 2.7s aluminum block. The iron block can take more strain.

·
Registered
869 Posts
My Tib is still getting very impressive MPG numbers, and I'm hoping to make them even better once I get my intake installed :)

-Brian

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
My Tib is still getting very impressive MPG numbers, and I'm hoping to make them even better once I get my intake installed :)

-Brian
That is good :D I filled my SE up today and got almost 27 mpg and last time i filled up I got 29. Sounds crazy but it is for real haha I am thinking of putting headers on it after the warranty is up (which I think is next year seeing as how most cars are made a year before their model). But I think that i have heard that the TIbs are made the same year as the model date. Anyways I will also upgrade the intake since it was bought off ebay. I am thinking of a K&N set up.

·
Registered
450 Posts
That is good :D I filled my SE up today and got almost 27 mpg and last time i filled up I got 29. Sounds crazy but it is for real haha I am thinking of putting headers on it after the warranty is up (which I think is next year seeing as how most cars are made a year before their model). But I think that i have heard that the TIbs are made the same year as the model date. Anyways I will also upgrade the intake since it was bought off ebay. I am thinking of a K&N set up.
just throw on headers and keep it a secret

·
Registered
690 Posts
when i did I/H/E on my 08 i got a CEL and couldent get steady mpg averages... sometimes i would get ridiclous numbers... 350_ miles on 1/2 a tank... and other times it would kill me maybe 300 miles to a tank.... dont know why lol but i only drove like that for about 2 months..... the point im trying to get at is the 08's are bad with throwing CELs even with I/H/E so driving around with one could play hell on your milage... if it helps inna day or so i can tell you what my wife is averaging ( she just got an Injen SRI and an Ebay catback) she has an 05 btw,, hope i helped a lil

·
Registered
690 Posts
sorry also about your warentee... i know i talked to my dealer and they told me that as long as the mod dosnet directly cause the malfunction its fine... but its always best to double check with your dealer and btw for what its worth a CAI is always easy to take off lol just make sure you save your stock stuff

21 - 40 of 65 Posts