Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im looking to get a tiburon (04-07). My price range between $7000-8500. Im leaning to a manual transmission because I think it would be fun to drive (don't plan on driving in to much traffic) and better on gas. I just don't know whether I should get a 5 spd or a 6 spd and what to watch out when buying from a private seller. I've been looking around this forum for a little bit and I heard to check the timing belt and clutch.

I won't be racing this car, just want a new car that looks nice and is fun to drive.

Just hoping on getting some insight on what seems like a promising car. Any help will...well...help.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I have the 6-speed, but 1st gear is pretty much useless and most people praise the 5 speed

I would look out for any aftermarket stuff the private seller has done to their car, the person I bought mine from basically ripped out a whole sub woofer system and left a crap ton of wires around the car all touching each other causing my battery to die on me.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
alright 6 speeds had lots of problem i love my six speed to be honest but when i go F/I i am going to screwed cause 1st gear will be useless beyond reason... but like someone said in a thread a while back that The Tib is like a hot chick with a broken leg... Its sexy but not fast... manuals are funner to drive but if your going F/I with big boost i would go with an auto...
I bought my 03 with 79k on it for 6g after taxes but I would try and find an 05/06 Sexier Front ends... you could probably find one with 60k on it for 8500 or so...

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Im looking to get a tiburon (04-07). My price range between $7000-8500. Im leaning to a manual transmission because I think it would be fun to drive (don't plan on driving in to much traffic) and better on gas. I just don't know whether I should get a 5 spd or a 6 spd and what to watch out when buying from a private seller. I've been looking around this forum for a little bit and I heard to check the timing belt and clutch.

I won't be racing this car, just want a new car that looks nice and is fun to drive.

Just hoping on getting some insight on what seems like a promising car. Any help will...well...help.
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167600

couldn't of said it better :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol, if I lived near Annapolis I would probably check it out. Little higher then I was wanted to spend. I'm surprised you can't sell it, seems like a reasonable price for it.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Its actually an I4 lol. But um it all depends, if you want good gas mileage or plan to go turbo (which i know your not) then I would go for the 4 cylinder. But since you dont want to tune the car and want something fun to drive that is stock, I would say the v6 has a little more kick and would be more fun for you.

All in all
I4 = good gas mileage stock
V6 = slightly lower g.m. but a little more horsepower.

it all comes down to what means more to you!
hope that helps

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Get the V6 5 speed, that's what i have and i wouldn't want it any other way. Decent gas mileage + some power (at least more than the i4). Its a super fun car to drive and looks real nice + its not all that common so when people see them they get interested in what it is. This is even more true if you have "T" badges.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get the V6 5 speed, that's what i have and i wouldn't want it any other way. Decent gas mileage + some power (at least more than the i4). Its a super fun car to drive and looks real nice + its not all that common so when people see them they get interested in what it is. This is even more true if you have "T" badges.
What about the clutch and flywheel problems i hear everyone having. And is it true that even if i bought a new tiburon that this isnt covered by there warrenty.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Any problem with the clutch would be caused by a little spring in the slave cylinder, theres a DIY mod to take that out or you could take it to a mechanic. if you do that you will should have no problems with the clutch. even then if you didn't take out the spring mechanism, i would still say go for a tib!

·
Dedication to Thai Cuisine
7,687 Posts
The worst years for the clutch was the 03, 04 had some problems too, I believe. After that, the clutches are fine, unless raced or slipped like an idiot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts