Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

But on a side note, why do companies who make Sporty cars, such as the tib, choose to make it FWD? I dont know much about FWD, and all I hear is people knocking on it, Is there any reason at all to make it FWD instead of RWD?

Cheaper? more fuel efficent? Easier to maintain?

:3_confuse

·
Registered
2,472 Posts

All of the above (except maybe fuel efficiency). If the engine is in the front (which 90% of them are) then it's much easier to send the power to the front wheels instead of messing with differentials, transfer cases, etc to get the power to the rear.

Plus, for most people a car is just transportation, so they don't care and would rather have the lower maintenance costs, better winter handling etc.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Not only is it easier to get the power to the front wheels, but RWD vehicles actually lose about 10% of their power by the time the HP gets to their wheels.

So on paper, if you had two cars with the exact same setup except FWD or RWD, the FWD car would get more power to the wheels.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Thats some of the stupidest driving i have ever seen...but awsome lol. It goes AWD, RWD, FWD. They get progressivly less expensive to manufacture, easier on fuel, lower maintenance.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
i dont know whats more inspirational... the music in that vid or the fact that those crazy b*****ds drift like a mother *****r

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Lol i wanted to see the little car tip with the arabs hanging out now that would of been a video!

·
Registered
597 Posts
man those guys are nuts....yeah if u live where it snows a lot, it gives better winter traction because the engine is in the front giving weight to the wheels. so if ur like me and drive ur car year round and dont care bout speed, fwd is for the win

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you know what you are doing FWD handles pretty well. But with an experienced driver RWD > FWD

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
But on a side note, why do companies who make Sporty cars, such as the tib, choose to make it FWD? I dont know much about FWD, and all I hear is people knocking on it, Is there any reason at all to make it FWD instead of RWD?

cars like the Tib are based on high-profit high-production number FWD econo-sedans like the Elantra. The cost of producing a whole new platform to make a RWD sports coupe wasnt feasible for Hyundai until they had further established themselves(and begun making money hand over fist), hence why we see the Genesis Coupe today. its not just a matter of the manufacturers "choosing" one or the other, it needs to be designed that way from the ground up.

Thats some of the stupidest driving i have ever seen...but awsome lol. It goes AWD, RWD, FWD. They get progressivly less expensive to manufacture, easier on fuel, lower maintenance.
meh, it depends on where the engine is, etc. Formula 1 cars are probably the fastest overall racing cars around and theyre mid-engine, RWD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts