Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Hyundai Coupe, G4GC-G, M5BF-2
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all.
I have an interesting solution how to get 6 gears in a coupe on OEM spare parts, but it has not yet been fully implemented. Perhaps the inhabitants of this forum will be able to give me something, or maybe they will take something for themselves.
What I do not like about my coupe is that at 105 km / h the engine rpm is 3000 and the first gear is too short, although the gear ratios of the other gears are satisfactory. Having studied the catalogs, I came to the conclusion that a six-speed gearbox (P/N 4300039900) could be installed from the factory at 2.0 in a coupe / tiburon / tuscani engine, but this part is very rare, since this is an MFA60 with another "bell" (we have this part so called). However, I found information that a new generation gearbox was installed in other Hyundai / Kia cars in 2006-2010, which was bolted to the G4GC-G. It was the M5CF-2 (M56CF-2) gearbox. It was also a five-speed for these cars, but from the factory there were simply plugs in place of the 6th gears.
I bought such a gearbox, disassembled it, bought the necessary gears and now I have a six-speed gearbox in my garage, which is waiting to be installed. But there is a problem.
If I connect M56CF-2 cables to my own shifter, the 1st and 3rd gear row will change places and it will look like in the photo. I have already bought shifter from Elanra (HD), Sonata (NF), Cerato (LD), which fit the logic of switching gears, but do not fit the bolt-on to the coupe body. Maybe the members of the forum have ideas about this?
P.S. If necessary, I will post a list of spare parts that will be needed for converting the M5CF-2 into M6CF-2 as well as additional parts that are needed to implement this box in the coupe / tiburon / tuscani.
p.p. Do not pay attention to grammar, because my native language is Russian, and translating Google helps me to communicate with you.
Font Parallel Pattern Drawing Number

·
Registered
390 Posts
I wonder if you can solve the problem from the transmission side, not the inside of the car.
if you can fabricate a mounting bracket for the left-to-right cable on the opposite side in the transmission, this should flip the pattern of shifting to be as the following:

R 1 3 5
\-|-|-|
. 2 4 6

That should be a pretty easy and straightforward solution.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Are you saying just the first and third gear rows change, or 1,3, and 5? If they all flip then Omar may be onto something there.

And I'm guessing you're talking about an RD Tiburon (96-2001) since the GK has OEM 6-speed solutions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan to transfer the torque from the gearbox to the drive shafts through CV joints with parameters 27 * 25 * 41. They must go into the differential and connect to the standard drive shafts. The flywheel, basket, clutch disc will also not be from the coupe / Tiburon and will work for squeezing, not pulling. I know there were 6-speed gearboxes on the GK, but they were mostly on the V6, not the 4-cylinder.
Regarding the solution proposed by Omar - I will probably try to combine my own shift scene with a non-native one, since on part 43730-2D100 there is no particular place on the right where it would be possible to hold the gearshift cable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if you can solve the problem from the transmission side, not the inside of the car.
if you can fabricate a mounting bracket for the left-to-right cable on the opposite side in the transmission, this should flip the pattern of shifting to be as the following:

R 1 3 5
\-|-|-|
. 2 4 6

That should be a pretty easy and straightforward solution.
Exactly! On the transmission! This can help. I'll see if there is such a possibility.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Exactly! On the transmission! This can help. I'll see if there is such a possibility.
Yes, on the transmission side, leave the inside shifter as it is.
it so so easy to get a flat aluminum bar and bend/cut it to the shape you want to let the shifter cable mount on the other side.
if you take a picture of your transmission where the cables are attached, I can help you visualize it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Any pictures of this transmission? Because I know the 6 speed for the beta engine existed but was rare it was a basically the 6 payed from the v6 with different bell housing, also knew there was another 5 speed option that came in the tucsan was basically the same 5 speed transmission as the v6 5 speed but different bell housing, it even came as a awd manual option for the beta , so what transmission is yours exactly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any pictures of this transmission? Because I know the 6 speed for the beta engine existed but was rare it was a basically the 6 payed from the v6 with different bell housing, also knew there was another 5 speed option that came in the tucsan was basically the same 5 speed transmission as the v6 5 speed but different bell housing, it even came as a awd manual option for the beta , so what transmission is yours exactly?
Good afternoon. I'll take a photo as soon as I get to the garage. My transmission was not installed on the coupe / tiburon / tuscani, but was installed from the factory on other Hyundai / Kia models.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts