Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my A/F gauge and Boost gauge in the pillar pod and it's attached to the a-pillar, and the wires are running down behind the dash. When I got the gauges (bought them used from a member, already in the pod), I noticed that the boose gauge feeder hose had a kink in it. I'm assuming I'll need to replace that hose, so where can I get one?

Also, looking through the DIY install thread (http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19383&highlight=gauge), it shows a "T", which I don't have. Can I get one at Autozone, and if so, what are they called so I know what to ask for.

3rd question is for the A/F gauge. I have the Autometer install instructions so I know I have to connect to the signal wire... does anyone know the colour of the signal wire from the front O2 sensor? There are 4 wires: red, orange, white/black, and blue/white.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
You'll be able to find the hose and t at any auto store. You'll usually see a small section of a lot of different types of splitters and whatnot. However, I'm not sure what size you'll need.

For your A/F guage, I've read that the ones that tap directly off the factory sensors cause them to go bad sooner. They're also basically useless, but I'll look around and see if I can't find the color for you.

·
Registered
624 Posts
You'll be able to find the hose and t at any auto store. You'll usually see a small section of a lot of different types of splitters and whatnot. However, I'm not sure what size you'll need.

For your A/F guage, I've read that the ones that tap directly off the factory sensors cause them to go bad sooner. They're also basically useless, but I'll look around and see if I can't find the color for you.

To add to what he ^^^^ said, the Auto Meter A/F ratio guage is pretty much usless due to the fact that it is narrowband and not wideband. Thus, you won't really get much out of it when it comes to tuning and monitoring your A/F ratio...it's mainly just a light show. However, if you want a true A/F ratio gauge, make sure you go with a wideband one like Innovate, Zertronix, or AEM.

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To add to what he ^^^^ said, the Auto Meter A/F ratio guage is pretty much usless due to the fact that it is narrowband and not wideband. Thus, you won't really get much out of it when it comes to tuning and monitoring your A/F ratio...it's mainly just a light show. However, if you want a true A/F ratio gauge, make sure you go with a wideband one like Innovate, Zertronix, or AEM.
Don't bother looking 05GT, I'm not going to hook it up if it's basically useless. If I just hook up the power and ground so it looks "perty" (or riceriffic, depending on your perception) what will it read? Stoich? Lean? Rich?

And the vacuum hose and the T, are they called anything special, or are they just called "vacuum hose" and "t-fitting?"

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Don't bother looking 05GT, I'm not going to hook it up if it's basically useless. If I just hook up the power and ground so it looks "perty" (or riceriffic, depending on your perception) what will it read? Stoich? Lean? Rich?

And the vacuum hose and the T, are they called anything special, or are they just called "vacuum hose" and "t-fitting?"
Nah,
They aren't called anything special. They're just vacuum connections. Also, if you hook up the power and ground. The guage will be backlit, but you won't get the light show without it being tapped into the O2.

·
Banned
1,154 Posts
The line for the boost gauge is 1/8" vacuum line in that pic, but it would be best to use capillary tube as it's less likely to crush under vacuum or burst under boost. You should be able to get an Autometer boost gauge installation kit from autozone. If not, you can get one from boostcontroller.net for a decent price. It will come with the line and fittings. You can get the T fitting from autozone.

The A/F gauge is not necessarily useless, per se... just not very useful. lol You can't use it for tuning as it will only show rich/stoich/lean... no actual values. You can use it as kind of a dummy light... to get an idea of where you're at, but if you want a true reading that you can tune off of, you'll need to go wideband.

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The line for the boost gauge is 1/8" vacuum line in that pic, but it would be best to use capillary tube as it's less likely to crush under vacuum or burst under boost. You should be able to get an Autometer boost gauge installation kit from autozone. If not, you can get one from boostcontroller.net for a decent price. It will come with the line and fittings. You can get the T fitting from autozone.

The A/F gauge is not necessarily useless, per se... just not very useful. lol You can't use it for tuning as it will only show rich/stoich/lean... no actual values. You can use it as kind of a dummy light... to get an idea of where you're at, but if you want a true reading that you can tune off of, you'll need to go wideband.
Thanks! I'm not going to use it for tuning, I intend to go to the dyno for that. But it's mainly to see "where I'm at."

I'll head over to autozone and see if they have that kit.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
DONT buy those little plastic/nylon what ever the hell it is tube (the white one in the pic) just buy some small vacuum line it will be cheaper and work better

edit:: sorry that could be confusing im not talking about the vacuum adapters im talking about the actual line that runs to your boost gauge

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DONT buy those little plastic/nylon what ever the hell it is tube (the white one in the pic) just buy some small vacccum line it will be cheaper and work better
That's the kind that's on the gauge right now. It's white, and quite rigid, which explains why I got kinked when it bent at some point.

If not that kind, then what kind?

·
Banned
1,154 Posts
It's called capillary tube. And as I mentioned earlier, it's used because it's more resistant to bursting or crushing. Yes, it does kink, but once it's installed you shouldn't have a problem with it.

This one is a complete kit with all the tubing and fittings you would need:
http://www.boostcontroller.com/inde...38&PHPSESSID=fd9e50e21034819f21557b53062968b9

This one is just the brass fitting and the tubing:
http://www.boostcontroller.com/inde...38&PHPSESSID=fd9e50e21034819f21557b53062968b9

If you would rather use regular vacuum line, they also carry thick walled silicone hose:
http://www.boostcontroller.com/inde...ostcontroller.com/index.php?page=1&category=8
(that's for 1/8th inch)

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's called capillary tube. And as I mentioned earlier, it's used because it's more resistant to bursting or crushing. Yes, it does kink, but once it's installed you shouldn't have a problem with it.

This one is a complete kit with all the tubing and fittings you would need:

This one is just the brass fitting and the tubing:

If you would rather use regular vacuum line, they also carry thick walled silicone hose:
http://www.boostcontroller.com/inde...ostcontroller.com/index.php?page=1&category=8
(that's for 1/8th inch)
Thanks man!! :3_winkthu :3_winkthu :3_winkthu

Good info. I actually just purchased the kit in bold above simply because it has everything I need and I don't have to keep running back and forth. Besides, it's not urgent I hook up the gauge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts