Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i am wanting to change the gear oil in my tib its almost time to change it
but i was jut wondering hyundai calls for 75W/85 API GL-4 Oil is it ok to use 75W/90 API GL-5 oil?

i have alot in my garage so if its fine to use it ill use it

and anyone have a DIY on emptying the gear box?

·
Banned
3,990 Posts
GL5 is a different spec, and is not 'backwards compatible' with GL4.

GL5 gear oil is a lubricant with very high extreme pressure performance needed for Hypoid gears where sliding and rolling contacts operate under very high loadings. This is achieved by incorporating high concentration of sulfurized additives. The downside to such high sulfur in oil is it tends to corrode yellow metals, so can ruin parts like brass synchronizers and some bushings. So any equipment needing GL5 performance is designed taking this limitation of the lubricant into account.

GL4 oils are much more friendly to yellow metals, and so are used in equipment where such high load sliding-rolling contacts aren't present. The designers of such equipment aren't as limited in the use of brass parts. So the bottom line is that if your equipment calls for GL4 it probably doesn't need GL5 performance, and you may be asking for trouble down the line if you use a lube it wasn't designed for.

·
Dedication to Thai Cuisine
7,687 Posts
yeah, do NOT use GL5. Only GL4.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GL5 is a different spec, and is not 'backwards compatible' with GL4.

GL5 gear oil is a lubricant with very high extreme pressure performance needed for Hypoid gears where sliding and rolling contacts operate under very high loadings. This is achieved by incorporating high concentration of sulfurized additives. The downside to such high sulfur in oil is it tends to corrode yellow metals, so can ruin parts like brass synchronizers and some bushings. So any equipment needing GL5 performance is designed taking this limitation of the lubricant into account.

GL4 oils are much more friendly to yellow metals, and so are used in equipment where such high load sliding-rolling contacts aren't present. The designers of such equipment aren't as limited in the use of brass parts. So the bottom line is that if your equipment calls for GL4 it probably doesn't need GL5 performance, and you may be asking for trouble down the line if you use a lube it wasn't designed for.
thank you very much!
ill go pick up some GL4 tomrrow morning

·
Registered
111 Posts
what trans do you have auto 5spd or 6spd

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have the 5 speed
i wentto hyundi and got 4 litres or free :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
theres a big plug on the bottom i think its something like a 22mm and a smaller one on the front of the trans for the fill its on something that looks like a black plate

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when i did the gear oil change i filled it till it spilled over then i put the plug on immeditaly is that fine?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yes with your car sitting level just fill it up till it begins to run out and plug it back up.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes with your car sitting level just fill it up till it begins to run out and plug it back up.
okay thank you
my car shifts amzing now :)

and code air its the benefit of working at a car dealership, peopel give u stuff for free lol
xD

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
okay thank you
my car shifts amzing now :)

and code air its the benefit of working at a car dealership, peopel give u stuff for free lol
xD
If you think it shifts smooth now try some Redline MT 90.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you think it shifts smooth now try some Redline MT 90.
yeah ill prob put that stuff in next change, (during the winter)
i heard its amazing stuff :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
i really have got to do this soon, my buddy works at hyundai as a mechanic so whenever i have a problem hes the guy i call,i get free fluids from him, sneaked me out a brand new battery not sure how he did that but he did, misc clips inside and out...and oh ya one day my passenger seatbelt clip stoped working he said no problem takes one of an elantra that was inn an accident put mine back into the elantra and there we go. he said no worries that seat belt will get replace under warrenty anyways for the elantra.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.