Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm new here and acquired my '03 Tiburon GT V6 w/6spd near New Year's Eve for $750 out in Milwaukee from a 19yo kid. I have a few questions.

1. How many watts is my oe amplifier (RMS/Peak)? Is it powering all the speakers & sub or just the 8" sub? Because I want to upgrade the sub to either Rockford Fosgate, SSL or HiFonics.

2. Why does my serpentine belt squeal when cold asf outside only when the car is heating up?

3. What is the button left of the window lock switch? Because it doesn't do anything.

4. Why does my parts (Performance & OE) costs way more than other tibbys - especially the damn brake system? ie rear calipers cost more than the fronts. Front is single push pistons and rear is turn & push.

Lastly and sorry for all the questions. Because I'm used to Civics, Integras, 1 Z32 300ZX & 1 IS300. But this car takes the cake for parts like a 330i (E46).

5. I changed the clutch slave because the car had to be forced into 2/4/6 gears but not forced into 1/3/5 when driving and the pedal was practically to the floor to start the car and changing gears. Clutch slave is changed, car starts with pedal barely touching the floor (haven't bled the clutch yet, I don't have anyone to help me bleed it). Is it possible to bleed the clutch by myself? How will I know when the clutch is bled? (Please describe clutch pedal feel when bled). Also I'm ordering a Exedy clutch/light-weight flywheel on Ebay in hopefully March because I've heard how weak the OE Velo clutch is.

This is my daily and I've brought everything from both Ebay & RockAuto. Yes, I'm a ebay whore. Why, because filipina wife and 12yo son wants to come home asap. Plus she doesn't understand our tuner culture and the fact that cars dont fix themselves. I can post some more
pix of my car tomorrow or the next day after work. Sadly, I only make $1400ish a month after taxes ($400 to rent, $30-$40 cigs & $XXXX.XX completely clueless). I already dropped $104 for a AC Delco Battery (commercial acct.), $56 (FR Caliper), $144 (RR/FL Calipers tomorrow), $119 (Cross-Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/ Ceramic Pads), $202 (Set of 4 Falken Ziex A/S tires (commercial acct.), $182 Ebay cat-back exhaust, $165 OBX Headers (Andy's Autosport commercial acct.), and $30 Valve cover/intake gaskets (commercial acct).

This car is killing me, but somehow think it's worth it.

Also, the car came with 17x8.25 XXR 527 (Hyper Silver) with a +25 wrapped in 225/50-17 Falken Ziex rubbers. Planning to upgrade to either 17x9 MST MT07 (+20 White), 17x9 Vors TR4 (+22 Hyper Black), 17x9.5 JNC 005 (+32 Gold), 18x9.5 Avid.1 AV-20 (+22 Matte Bronze), 17x9 MST MT01 (+35 Black or Bronze), 18x9.5 Vors TR3 (+35 Matte Bronze) with 215/45 rubbers.

·
Registered
399 Posts
1. unsure about the amp

2. The most common serpentine belt problems include: Worn/Cracked Serpentine Belt – Serpentine belts have grooves which fit into grooves in the pulleys. Over time, the friction wears down these grooves, resulting in a loose fit. A worn belt can, therefore, begin to slip, which is one of the causes the squeal.

3. the button in the European and Korean model tiburons controls the power folding mirrors

4. parts for this car performance wise are hard to find now because companies have taken more interest in the Genesis coupe. there was a point when this website used to flourish with a lot of tib owners and vendors selling cool parts but now this car is pretty much a dying breed lol... I love my tib, had it for about 9 years now and i have come to realize you need to find a local garage that can get the parts for cheap and let them put it in for you. example: a rear caliper 79 bucks with labor installed.

I used to be part of the Honda scene as well and will always miss it. You could literally go on eBay and do a full build but its not gonna be that easy with this car. its very picky with the parts you put on it. to avoid headaches try to use oem products more so the sensors (tps,maf,map,iacv) it will save you money in the long run. your ok with the headers and exhaust... i know they sell performance intake manifolds, bbtbs, supercharger kits, pullies, intake systems and turbo kits for the gt V6 you just have to search or buy certain things used but i this intake headers and exhaust is enough for this car.

5. you need someone on the inside holding the pedal down all the way while you bleed it. you'll know when its bled when there are no more little bubbles in the bleed tube. as far as clutch i stayed with oem so i cant really help you there.

Definitely get your timing belt looked at!!!! it is prob due for replacement

·
Registered
141 Posts
a small comment on #5
if you have a problem with the lower half gears (2/4/6), but no problem with the top half (1/3/5), I am just guessing that this is not a problem with any of the clutch cylinders.
this is a problem with your shifter cable, and it only needs a tiny adjustment.

pop-out the plastic part around your shifter, and there should be 2 cables with adjustable screwable heads. one control the vertical movement, and one control the horizontal movement of the shifter.
I would think that in the hard to use gears (2/4/6), you are hitting the physical limit of the shifter and not transferring enough movement to the gearbox.
try to play with the cable responsible for the vertical movement (moving the shifter forward-and-backward), adjusted it a little bit and give it another try.

That should solve your problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. unsure about the amp

2. The most common serpentine belt problems include: Worn/Cracked Serpentine Belt – Serpentine belts have grooves which fit into grooves in the pulleys. Over time, the friction wears down these grooves, resulting in a loose fit. A worn belt can, therefore, begin to slip, which is one of the causes the squeal.

3. the button in the European and Korean model tiburons controls the power folding mirrors

4. parts for this car performance wise are hard to find now because companies have taken more interest in the Genesis coupe. there was a point when this website used to flourish with a lot of tib owners and vendors selling cool parts but now this car is pretty much a dying breed lol... I love my tib, had it for about 9 years now and i have come to realize you need to find a local garage that can get the parts for cheap and let them put it in for you. example: a rear caliper 79 bucks with labor installed.

I used to be part of the Honda scene as well and will always miss it. You could literally go on eBay and do a full build but its not gonna be that easy with this car. its very picky with the parts you put on it. to avoid headaches try to use oem products more so the sensors (tps,maf,map,iacv) it will save you money in the long run. your ok with the headers and exhaust... i know they sell performance intake manifolds, bbtbs, supercharger kits, pullies, intake systems and turbo kits for the gt V6 you just have to search or buy certain things used but i this intake headers and exhaust is enough for this car.

5. you need someone on the inside holding the pedal down all the way while you bleed it. you'll know when its bled when there are no more little bubbles in the bleed tube. as far as clutch i stayed with oem so i cant really help you there.

The odd part is that, it'll stop squealing if I spray WD40 on the serpentine belt while heating up the car from a cold start.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The odd part is that, it'll stop squealing if I spray WD40 on the serpentine belt while heating up the car from a cold start.
Which im assuming is the belt that runs on the power steering pump while the timing belt is the one behind a cover. Or am I wrong?

·
Super Moderator
8,690 Posts
Which im assuming is the belt that runs on the power steering pump while the timing belt is the one behind a cover. Or am I wrong?
Correct, timing belt is under the cover.

As an aside, some parts/fluids are miles related change interval, some are the related, a few have both limits (time to change/replace if either limit is hit).

Good examples.....belts, rubber hoses have 2 limits, so miles may be low, but you may have hit the time limit.
A 2004 Tib is likely to have needed the timing belt replaced a few times, even if it only has 20,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I just ordered a ton of things that the car needs today and plan on ordering the timing belt n water pump next week or the 2nd week of March along with the Exedy Clutch/Flywheel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a small comment on #5
if you have a problem with the lower half gears (2/4/6), but no problem with the top half (1/3/5), I am just guessing that this is not a problem with any of the clutch cylinders.
this is a problem with your shifter cable, and it only needs a tiny adjustment.

pop-out the plastic part around your shifter, and there should be 2 cables with adjustable screwable heads. one control the vertical movement, and one control the horizontal movement of the shifter.
I would think that in the hard to use gears (2/4/6), you are hitting the physical limit of the shifter and not transferring enough movement to the gearbox.
try to play with the cable responsible for the vertical movement (moving the shifter forward-and-backward), adjusted it a little bit and give it another try.

That should solve your problem.

View attachment 135162
View attachment 135163

View attachment 135164

View attachment 135166
OmarAta, I'm going to have to wait to check that out on Sunday, because it's going be cold asf all this week with it being 38° F on Sunday. Which will be when I install the other brake components for the car while it's parked in the garage on Jack stands at the moment. I ordered parts from RockAuto today that'll be here tomorrow and on Friday (brake related) while the serpentine belt and blower motor resistor will be here on the 10th & 13th.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

As an aside, some parts/fluids are miles related change interval, some are the related, a few have both limits (time to change/replace if either limit is hit).

Good examples.....belts, rubber hoses have 2 limits, so miles may be low, but you may have hit the time limit.
A 2004 Tib is likely to have needed the timing belt replaced a few times, even if it only has 20,000 miles on it.
As for hoses, it'll be replaced with performance versions sometime next month.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1. unsure about the amp

As for bleeding the clutch, do I have to pump it just like the same waxy as bleeding the brakes? If so, I'm just hoping to have to put a big ass cinderblock on the clutch while I attempt to bleed it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1. unsure about the amp

I gave up on looking for turbo Kits and supercharger Kits after searching for a week on ebay and Google. Everything I find is for the turbo model or the 4-banger. I might build a custom TT kit or custom supercharger kit, whichever is cheaper.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I have 188k on the dash by the way.

·
Registered
399 Posts
As for bleeding the clutch, do I have to pump it just like the same waxy as bleeding the brakes? If so, I'm just hoping to have to put a big ass cinderblock on the clutch while I attempt to bleed it.
pump the pedal a few times and hold it down on the last pump. the person under the hood should slowly unscrew the bleeder until you see bubbles fizzing into the bleeder tube. once the bubbles stop re tighten bleeder screw and repeat. i did it on mine about 3 times i was satisfied. and hasn't caused me any problems in the 5 years since i changed it. i used the clear tubing for bleeding brakes and a water bottle. remember to top off the fluid reservoir to where it says max after you finish bleeding the system.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I gave up on looking for turbo Kits and supercharger Kits after searching for a week on ebay and Google. Everything I find is for the turbo model or the 4-banger. I might build a custom TT kit or custom supercharger kit, whichever is cheaper.
honestly i would have loved to turbo my 4cyl( I was very close to buying the full SFR kit until i saw a member on here going through headaches with it) but it just cost to much and the car itself is just really heavy for drag racing IMO!!!! if i'm going to boost id rather invest in a clean honda shell, K series engine and a turbo kit and have a much more reliable power plant with easier parts to source out as well.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I believe your having this issue because at start up the belts are cold and have more slippage until the rubber heats up and grip the pullies better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pump the pedal a few times and hold it down on the last pump. the person under the hood should slowly unscrew the bleeder until you see bubbles fizzing into the bleeder tube. once the bubbles stop re tighten bleeder screw and repeat. i did it on mine about 3 times i was satisfied. and hasn't caused me any problems in the 5 years since i changed it. i used the clear tubing for bleeding brakes and a water bottle. remember to top off the fluid reservoir to where it says max after you finish bleeding the system.
Thanks and I'm going top give it a shot asap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe your having this issue because at start up the belts are cold and have more slippage until the rubber heats up and grip the pullies better.
Yeah I agree with you on that as well because after the car warms up there's no more squealing or any other sound coming from the belts plus I'm still gonna change the belt anyway for both the serpentine and the timing because I don't know what all was were placed before I bought the car and are you honestly do not trust that kid. Considering when I got the car it literally looked like someone has never done the brakes I had to use a mallet to get to or the rotors off the hugs while the front passenger caliber was dammed refuse to the road or because there was no pad on the inside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1. unsure about the amp

You can use a vacuum bleeder to bleed it easier and I ended up having to force pressure thru the top at my reservoir because something was clogging the line after that I had next to 0 issues just fyi I was unaware of anything that could clog that line but it sure did also the valve under the banjo bolt I recommend taking that out because it will wear your clutch at a faster rate

·
Super Moderator
8,690 Posts
Yeah I agree with you on that as well because after the car warms up there's no more squealing or any other sound coming from the belts plus I'm still gonna change the belt anyway for both the serpentine and the timing because I don't know what all was were placed before I bought the car and are you honestly do not trust that kid. Considering when I got the car it literally looked like someone has never done the brakes I had to use a mallet to get to or the rotors off the hugs while the front passenger caliber was dammed refuse to the road or because there was no pad on the inside.
I am wondering if your crank pulley is failing. It is 3 parts...steel center section and outer ribs, rubber between the 2.
Common is it squeals on startup until the outer ribs spin on the rubber until it all grips together.
Test is, engine off, scribe a mark/paint a line from the center section towards the belt....then start the car when cold.
If it squeals, shut it off and check the scribe/paint for alignment. If it's off....replace pulley.
If it does not squeal, try again when engine has sat. See line above.

I believe I have a picture in my site album or posted in similar threads.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts