Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
I
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way that the Genesis's Turbo I4 could be turned 90 degrees and put in a Tiburon?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
yeah... im no super mechanic but the engine probably wouldnt line up, you would need a tranny swap, change out the ecu, and the list goes on... the rwd conversion is not even mentioned on my list...

·
I
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you turn the engine 90 degrees, you don't have to swap to RWD though, if I'm not mistaken

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
^^^ idk about that... maybe another member with more knowledge/experience can answer that question for u

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Ok the Genesis has a 2.0 turned transaxle instead of transverse.... they just turboed it stock... your 2.0 is pretty much same motor...

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
because you would need to have a custom built transmission that could be monitored by the genesis ecu, unless you get lucky and it matches up to an existing tib tranny.

Just turbo the I4, less money, same ability, there is truly no reason to drop in, essentially, the same motor just for a turbo when you can turbo the existing engine, build the block, new pistons, and new transmission for the same cost and put out more power. But then you run into the same problem that, being a fwd car, you reach a point where more power is just bragging rights and becomes useless since you can't keep traction with that power.

·
I
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
... your 2.0 is pretty much same motor...
Really? That's pretty interesting... There's a pretty big HP increase for a stock turbo if it's close to the same engine. I have a V6. I was just wondering.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
ya man.... i mean its same bore... same displacement... just turboed and had alot better tuning the tib stock....

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
This has been talked before. YES! There is a kit and it cost 8k, shipped from korea. 280hp and so far the motor is to hold 350hp. Not worth it, build your own forged motor and boost the sucker 600whp for that cost.

·
I
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow... nice find. I plan on turboing my V6, but I was just wondering if it could be done. And I wasn't aware the I4s were the same.

·
Registered
248 Posts
im sure this can be done, but these engines are not the same if im not mistaken... this new one has had the help of chrystler and mitusubishi. i mean to do this would be a lot of money and time like mentioned. you would have to do a whole complete syste. new motor (obviously), but you will spend a lot trying to make it fit, trans, ecu, driveline everything, way to much money. just turbo yours, or buy a damned genisis, less money in the end.

·
I
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha yeah... I never had any plan on doing this. I was just wondering if it could be done, and the difficulty if it could. Just fueling my curiosity, that's all. I do plan on putting a turbo on my V6 eventually.

·
Worst Overall NT Member of 2010
6,782 Posts
to post, or not to post....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts