Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, first and foremost i want to say hey again to everyone!, i have been away from nt.com for awhile now, alot of real life stuff going on, not too much time to go on websites ect, but now i have a break before college, and as a late christmas presant my parents are replacing the clutch in my 2004 Tiburon GTV6, but here's the catch, i was talking to a guy at a shop who does alot of custom work on newer cars, mainly mustangs, he does imports too, he's a certified mechanic ect, and i trust his work, i origionally wanted to get a new clutch/flywheel setup for my car, but after talking to him for a while, it became clear rather quickly that unless i was gonna be doing some rather consistant racing it would pretty much be a waste of 400 bucks for a guy who mainly uses his car as a daily driver, im not going to make this too long, and make it so ya gotta read too much, so i will get to the point, i need some Pro's that know there stuff about clutches to recomend a good reasonably priced clutch (from 200-450$max) and if getting just a aftermarket clutch,(looking for up to 300hp incase i wanna do some more modding down the line) and not an aftermarket flywheel and keeping the stock flywheel, if it will mess anything up, i dont know too much about the internals of the engine, i replaced my own headers with aftermarket ones but that was with help from some friends. so please leave some feedback, comments and any other help i would GREATLY appriciate it, i checked some older posts out, but a majority of them were out-dated, and i really wanted to make a post asking for some help, because this community is awesome, and i loved the time that i had on here before i had to take a break, and want to see some friendly faces!

Thanks all for reading my boring, and long post, and please help! :3_bdaybig and happy new years!

(sorry for spelling im tarDed~)

·
Registered
412 Posts
DanTiburon86 said:
Okay, first and foremost i want to say hey again to everyone!, i have been away from nt.com for awhile now, alot of real life stuff going on, not too much time to go on websites ect, but now i have a break before college, and as a late christmas presant my parents are replacing the clutch in my 2004 Tiburon GTV6, but here's the catch, i was talking to a guy at a shop who does alot of custom work on newer cars, mainly mustangs, he does imports too, he's a certified mechanic ect, and i trust his work, i origionally wanted to get a new clutch/flywheel setup for my car, but after talking to him for a while, it became clear rather quickly that unless i was gonna be doing some rather consistant racing it would pretty much be a waste of 400 bucks for a guy who mainly uses his car as a daily driver, im not going to make this too long, and make it so ya gotta read too much, so i will get to the point, i need some Pro's that know there stuff about clutches to recomend a good reasonably priced clutch (from 200-450$max) and if getting just a aftermarket clutch,(looking for up to 300hp incase i wanna do some more modding down the line) and not an aftermarket flywheel and keeping the stock flywheel, if it will mess anything up, i dont know too much about the internals of the engine, i replaced my own headers with aftermarket ones but that was with help from some friends. so please leave some feedback, comments and any other help i would GREATLY appriciate it, i checked some older posts out, but a majority of them were out-dated, and i really wanted to make a post asking for some help, because this community is awesome, and i loved the time that i had on here before i had to take a break, and want to see some friendly faces!

Thanks all for reading my boring, and long post, and please help! :3_bdaybig and happy new years!

(sorry for spelling im tarDed~)
i dont what you're mechanic is talking about, but you dont have to "be racing consistently" to enjoy the benefits of an aftermarket clutch/flywheel setup, which are higher tolerances, longer life, and less weight, especially if using a LW flywheel. i just purchased a clutchmasters stage 2/fidanza lw flywheel and will be putting it in another two weeks or less, so I am going through the same thing and i am stock performance wise. i think the aftermarket clutch holds up better than the OEM clutch. the clutchmaster's stage 3 would probably be good for you if you're looking for a clutch for your mods and later bumping to 300hp, but the cheapest i've seen them for is about $540. you can get a cheaper aftermarket clutch for less like SPEC, ACT, CENTEFORCE, SOUTH BEND, and FIDANZA, but I dont know how good they are or their exact prices. good luck man!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks for your post man!, but the thing is i only have 450$ max for a clutch, and the rest is going for the install =/ so the flywheel is outta the question. ((which sucks because i wanted one, but this stock clutch is 99.999% gone and i dont know how it still grabs, so i need to get this one bought and installed ASAP, if it wasnt so bad i'd wait and save up for a flywheel. :3_nooo: ))

Dan.

·
Registered
412 Posts
DanTiburon86 said:
thanks for your post man!, but the thing is i only have 450$ max for a clutch, and the rest is going for the install =/ so the flywheel is outta the question. ((which sucks because i wanted one, but this stock clutch is 99.999% gone and i dont know how it still grabs, so i need to get this one bought and installed ASAP, if it wasnt so bad i'd wait and save up for a flywheel. :3_nooo: ))

Dan.

well, the other clutch brands that I mentioned, which were Fidanza, Centerforce, Spec, Act, and South Bend are all $450 and lower, so you might want to check those brands out.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If you're gonna replace both the clutch and flywheel later anyway, just ride it out on your stocker for as long as you can and get both installed at the same time later. Why pay for the install twice? The guy will have your tranny apart, so might as well save some money and get it all done at once. If you need the clutch replaced asap and can't wait, borrow some money from your rents and pay them back later. That's what they're for after all. I'm not sure if the stock flywheel can even handle aftermarket clutches, since it's a dual mass.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
If you plan 300hp (which is where I'm at, 251whp/300chp), then you may want to save a little more and baby your clutch fo awhile longer. I'm getting the Fidanza this week and a Clutchmaster stage 4. I talked to TC at Nextgen, Fidanza, and Ultrarev, and they all agree that I'll go through a stage 3 in no time, and the stage 4 is appropriate. If your gonna' do hp mods up to or exceeding 300chp, within a year then I'd get a performance clutch setup. If it's going to be awhile, then just get a cheaper one knowing you're gonna' have to redo the clutch thing again. A lightweight flywheel is less strain on the engine (less weight to get moving), and less overall GVW.

The other important thing to consider your mechanic friend may not realize, I'm pretty sure you can't resurface the oem flywheel. The Fidanza has a replaceable friction surface. So even if you slap in an oem or cheaper dual mass clutch setup, you may have to buy a new flywheel.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It is possible to throw an aftermarket clutch in with the stock flywheel. Talk to NOLFOL on here, I know that he did it. Since the clutch will have to mate with the flywheel, I am pretty sure that you absolutely MUST MUST MUST get the flywheel re-surfaced, or your clutch will be toast before 1000 miles. I myself when the aftermarket clutch and flywheel route and love it!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok talked to my uncle, and i think im gonna get a clutchmasters stage 2 or 3, i dont like the fact that you gotta rev the hell outta those puck clutches to get them to move, im looking more for a daily driver clutch, that if i punched it every here and there it would hold up better then stock is all, so what you guys are saying is that get an CM stage 2 or 3, resurface flywheel, and i should be good?... also while my car is apart, think i should do the slave cylander removal?

Dan

·
Registered
412 Posts
well, you cant resurface the OEM flywheel since it's dual mass. get the stage 2 because i find that i have to rev 1200-1500 rpm with mine, so if you go higher, you probably gotta rev a little higher and you lose practicality.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
i'd say go for act or southbend.they aren't worse than cm, maybe even better. clutchnet is good to go with too.
if you want to leave the flywheel stock, get unsprung disc..

·
Banned
456 Posts
My car is on a lift right now getting my clutch redone, If your clutch has been messed up for a long time chances are your flywheel is toast also. In my case the mech told me the throw out bearing pretty much shredded everything in there. Getting clutch+ install for 450 or whatever is pretty much out of the question, unless your doing the install yourself and somehow you can still use your oem fw. I live in the Dallas Area and had a hard time finding someone to do the install for less then 500. I've read on this sight if you "know the right people" you can get it done for 300-400, so... I would say you would be lucky to get your clutch replaced for less then 700! with that said i say you might as well save up and get a stage 3or4, expecialy if your wanting to push 300hp! Do it right the first time and you wont have to do it again later!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, thinking about getting a centerforce clutch, with a fidanza flywheel, anyone think thats a good combo?

here's a link to the clutch
http://www.hopupracing.com/cedufrdiandp31.html

anyone see any problems with that? or think it's a good clutch, any input would be great being im ordering my stuff tomorrow... well... later today just havnt found time to sleep yet =P

1 - 14 of 14 Posts