Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I'm sure all of you know by now I'm getting a new exhaust and a turbo. But I'm wicked short on cash right now because of school and fraternity dues and all that nice stuff. I was wondering....what if I disconnected the exhaust right before the rear axle? Does anyone know where I'm talking about. Its like a silver pipe that connects to the black one that does all sorts of crazy bending, its connected by 2 bolts and I was just wondering if I took off the bolts and just left everything hanging there what would happen. Am I looking at a CEL light or significantly less performance? The car is just way too quiet for me so I figured if I disconnected this part of the exhaust and left everything in tact it would get a bit louder but leave it stock looking. Plus, I'd be able to connect it again when I go to the dealer for maintence for the meantime before I get the new exhaust and turbo.

Or has anyone else experimented with disconnecting parts of their exhaust but from different areas?

Thanks

·
Former Staff
5,452 Posts
No, you won't get a CEL, but you will die of carbon monoxide poisoning from fumes getting into the car. There's a reason why they have the exhaust exit from under the car. It's not for aesthetics, it's to get the fumes away from the passenger cabin and into the atmosphere.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Theres no o2 sensors there so i dont think that you would get a light, however its the same size piping so i dont think that youll get any extra performance. It might make a little bit of noise, im not sure. If i were you id just wait for the exhaust.

·
Banned
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No way dude, I already experienced that, it was a nightmare. Had a 91 Honda Accord and one day the rust caused the exhaust to break off behind the cat. Well with it hanging down on the road, I get the bright idea to back it into the driveway to store the car there. Well it caused the cat to break off completely and the flex pipe came off too. So all I had was a downpipe. The car sounded like a mac truck and actually felt a hell of a lot slower.

You think there's anything I can do to make it louder without waiting for the exhaust? I'm stuck in this battle of grab exhaust first and then turbo later or get exhaust and turbo at the same time so I may be waiting for a long a$$ time.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
i drove around with my exhaust like that for like a year..it wont hurt anything and sounds pretty good actually

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
get one of those ebay greddy exhausts, they're really cheap for about $300.

if $300 is too much for you, i dont see how you'll ever have enough to get a turbo

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
i drove around with my exhaust like that for like a year..it wont hurt anything and sounds pretty good actually
yeah, except your brain, but if youre driving around with an open downpipe pouring fumes into the cabin, then a brain isnt exactly all that impotrant in the 1st place, LOL.

seriously, dont disconnect your exhaust. the fumes will put you in tombs.. plus, sounding louder is totally pointless if theres no real (i.e. permanent) performance gain behind it. all youre going to do is succeed in drawing attention to yourself... mostly from ricers and cops..

·
Registered
938 Posts
Easy solution, take it to a shop and get them to cut off your muffs and put a 'test pipe' in the place of them. It will look good cause you still have the tips and you will get alittle more sound. You will still have the cat and resonater so you should be good. Dont know your local laws about muffs though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
yea check this.... igot a greddy evo 2 exhaust on my gt, and i actually went and spaced out the two rear flanges bout 1/2 - 1in, in both places..... so smaller amounts of the exhaust are runnning through the greddy cans in the back....(to give it some tone), but the majority of the air is dumping straight out..... i have some backpressure due to my one cat, but i think it sounds killer.... you wont harm a thing.... and as for carbon monoxide poisoning, not unless your reving it in your garage with the door shut..... but thats called suicide

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
9,528 Posts
PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS AT ALL.I am just pointing out how to make the exhaust note louder"I think"lol.Drill holes on the bottom of the mufflers.
OK, this is probably the worst advice I've ever heard. Don't do this, unless you plan on getting 3 aluminum spoilers, 10,000 stickers, and racing stripes.

If all your going for is sound, buy 2 fart cans and get them welded on. Highest estimate: $150.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I've been running a 3" dump for a while, cutout right after the dp. Sure alot of harmful fumes come out. But your in outside air, not in a closed environment. I've had recent brain scans and no tumors for me. I'd get exhaust and turbo at same time. And remember best exhaust for turbo is the shortest route and least bends. So when you get a turbo exhaust get a cutout. Its loud and gives you power when you want and stealth when you want.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.