Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading about the AEM "short ram intake" model 22-521 (a $100 air filter), and being too cheap to drop $250 on a CAI, I thought I'd try a ghetto DIY.

Pep Boys sells a cone air filter (part #9132) for $19.99. I uncovered the air box, disconnected the air flow sensor from the box, and pulled off the top of the air box and pulled out the filter.

The new filter was too snug to fit over the air flow sensor, so I used a pocket knife to increase the inside diameter of the Pep Boys air filter and was then able to use one of the stock Hyundai clamps to clamp the thing onto the end of the air flow sensor. RIght now, the filter is just sitting on the edge of the stock airbox, but it does not move around.

From reading the installation instructions on the AEM site, what I wound up with looks identical to what AEM was going to sell me - for $80 less. Sounds really cool under full throttle (tho my wife says it sounds like a ricer now). $20 for parts, 30 minutes labor (including whittling down the filter) - cheap, and I didn't have to wait for the gratification!

Here are the photos:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've done this same mod and I can tell in the increase in hp. Only thing, gas mileage has gone down a bit.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
:3_withstu

pictures!

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
sandiego_tib said:
After reading about the AEM "short ram intake" model 22-521 (a $100 air filter), and being too cheap to drop $250 on a CAI, I thought I'd try a ghetto DIY.

Pep Boys sells a cone air filter (part #9132) for $19.99. I uncovered the air box, disconnected the air flow sensor from the box, and pulled off the top of the air box and pulled out the filter.

The new filter was too snug to fit over the air flow sensor, so I used a pocket knife to increase the inside diameter of the Pep Boys air filter and was then able to use one of the stock Hyundai clamps to clamp the thing onto the end of the air flow sensor. RIght now, the filter is just sitting on the edge of the stock airbox, but it does not move around.

From reading the installation instructions on the AEM site, what I wound up with looks identical to what AEM was going to sell me - for $80 less. Sounds really cool under full throttle (tho my wife says it sounds like a ricer now). $20 for parts, 30 minutes labor (including whittling down the filter) - cheap, and I didn't have to wait for the gratification!

Anyone want to see a picture?
Go ahead and pulll the lower airbox and all that crap outta there too. Where are you located in San Diego? You should meet up with us at San Marcos tomorrow... or you could meet and drive up there with us.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
welcome to the forums! and good job for reading the item description before you bought it! i accidently bought one of those short ram intakes off of ebay. One of the most misleading auctions ever. pictures an intake with a pipe. calls it a short ram intake. and to my disbelief; i end up with just a filter and two hose clamps. I was royally pissed!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pics posted. Whaddya think?

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
i have the same thing done to my car right now with the same filter, lol.. and it will stay that way untill i have some extra money for the injen intake.

·
Registered
833 Posts
haha i just did this tonight, my friend was taking his old cai off his car because he bought a new one and I took the cone filter and put it on mine, sounds amazing and it's not pep boys, It's injen!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ive had this done for a while but have been in the closet with this one for fear of flaming but I recently got the Injen and haven't yet gotten to install it but its a nice cheap mod. A friend of mine did it to his V8 Lincoln LS and it sounds pretty amazing. Good for you for not falling for the ebay "Scam".

·
Registered
898 Posts
It's ok. I'm also not a fan of ghetto mods. Save up for a injen short ram intake. That will give you some real gains. This will probably only give you like 1whp compared to a real sri made by injen which will give you like 10whp

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think im gunna go throw my injen on now and see the difference. I did it cuz hey why not. I figured it could hold me over till i got my injen in.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
if u got a decent filter ide bet the increase woulkd be very similar. but with a cheap filter its prolly a very nopticeable diff between the real deal intakes,

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
It doesnt matter that much if you used a cheap filter or not. Difference would be maybe a couple whp at most.

By doing this mod you take out that major restriction of the stock airbox, thing is once that engine is going for whilte your sucking down nothing by hot air. Once you get a regular cai or a short ram thats farther away, you'll begin to get much cooler air. The intake is the one of the cheapest and probably best bang for buck mod out there. Cant really have your warranty red flagged (unless you hydrolock) and is easy to install. So I recommend to everyone to just go for a regular intake

·
Registered
962 Posts
Installed the Injen and its a little bit louder and a little quicker throttle response and thats about it. Not much of a difference. In the summer it might be a different story cuz I'm not getting my air from right next to the engine.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
lostdestiny14 said:
It doesnt matter that much if you used a cheap filter or not. Difference would be maybe a couple whp at most.

By doing this mod you take out that major restriction of the stock airbox, thing is once that engine is going for whilte your sucking down nothing by hot air. Once you get a regular cai or a short ram thats farther away, you'll begin to get much cooler air. The intake is the one of the cheapest and probably best bang for buck mod out there. Cant really have your warranty red flagged (unless you hydrolock) and is easy to install. So I recommend to everyone to just go for a regular intake
:3_withstu

You may even see better gains with a cheap filter, with the trade off being that it doesn't filter very well.

And Dark is pretty close, this mod wont give you a ton of power. While you've pulled out the restriction you are now pulling in hot air and it is going to be just as turbulent as before (see those ribs in the plastic tubing, they aren't smooth on the inside). This isn't a half bad idea for someone looking for the sound of an intake without really spending money, but if you are looking for gains, it's time to move on to mandrel piping.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
One of the few things you'll be able to do ghetto style lol. If your gonna mod get ready to drop some $$$$. Where are ya down here in S.D.? There's a few of us here, me being one of em.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts