Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 06 Tib GT and it has the 440W Infinity 6 Disc changer HU in it now. It sounds great but I don't have much to compare it to. I had a JVC with Sirius tuner add on in my prev car and I miss it.

I have a Sirius external receiver in it but it's annoying because it's velcro'd above the stock HU and there are wires hanging. Ugly. I don't need to go nuts with a video screen and such, just good sound with Sirius/MP3 with a clean look.

I don't want to mess with the stock amp and sub so I am thinking about replacing the HU with a Kenwood double DIN DPX-301 and a Sirius tuner so it's all nice and hidden with a direct Sirius tuner instead of an FM modulator and external tuner.

Questions -

Do I really need a new bracket? Or will it just swap out? Ccity has a "double din adapter" for Hyundai vehicles leading me to believe there will be a gap with the Kenwood or other decks.

Can I just replace it with a new HU by just removing the Infinity, connecting a huyndai harness for the new HU and plugging it in without losing anything?

Then I will have MP3/WMA, Sirius, and all integrated.

Am I on the pipe and asking too much when I already have a 6 disc changer (that holds as much as a single MP3 disc and sounds clearer) that is factory and has Sirius?

Wish I could find a double DIN HU that has an integrated Sirius tuner. The only one I found was the Kenwood SR700EZ that is a single DIN with integrated tuner.

Thanks!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Anybody know if this will fit in my 03 if it does and u buy a new one ill buy this one from you cause mine is starting to f up

·
Banned
312 Posts
I have the stock 03 one if you want it, 50 shipped. The power of the newer system isn't in the head unit, its in the amp, so buying his won't make your sound any better.

·
Banned
312 Posts
Anyway, to the OP, I think its an excellent idea. I got a new head unit so I could hard wire my iPod to it... definitely go for it.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Fact: your factory radio sucks compared to what you can buy aftermarket. Doesn't matter what you drive, it can always get better. Most factory systems, head units especially, are trash. Replacing your head unit is a great idea, but use a quality one. Besides I never really liked disc changers anyway. To me it seemed like less of a hassle to just change the cd out when I'm done listening to it, than having to go to a remote source and change out 6. Just not worth it to me.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I have the same 6 Disc Changer that you have, and I just replaced the headunit with a Kenwood double din setup. The new headunit actually made the stock speakers and sub sound better.

Definitely recommend changing the HU if you can.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
05GT said:
I have the same 6 Disc Changer that you have, and I just replaced the headunit with a Kenwood double din setup. The new headunit actually made the stock speakers and sub sound better.

I just did the same with sony headunit and there was dramatic improvement.

·
Registered
354 Posts
05GT said:

What head unit did u replace the stock one with so i can check it out I have an 03 but it should be the same. My lights on the buttons are starting to go so id like a new one. and i really cant find any good double dins.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After looking at CCity and BestBuy...Crutchfield was DEFINATELY the way to go. And great deals as well.

1 - JVC HDR1 - integrated HD radio MP3/WMA (179.99)
2 - iPod controller module (just plug my pod in and it charges it and can control the pod directly from the HU) Heck I may never need to burn another disc. (49.99)
3 - Sirius module. (already owned a JVC module)

Crutchfield also included the custom double DIN to single DIN with pocket below with all the spacers to ensure a clean fit and the harness for free (I don't really want the 3 gauge upgrade so I have a pocket for my smokes), plus their master sheet which should give me a full diagram of my whole stock system as well. All for about $240 shipped and does everything I wanted it to do. I don't need or want a big flashy display or video.

I'll see how the factory Infinity speakers sound after this upgrade and if it still needs improvement I'll look to replace them as well. But from what I hear many have not done this.

Hey thanks for all the great responses. I love this forum.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
the stock double din mounting kit shoould work if you have the factory double din unit. However if you replacer it with a single din you will need a single din mount kit...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted to report back to the board after install and it went PERFECTLY!

Crutchfield is the best, after my experience I won't buy from anyone else.

I purchased the following

2 - iPod controller module (just plug my pod in and it charges it and can control the pod directly from the HU) Heck I may never need to burn another disc. (49.99)

The double DIN to single DIN with compartment adapter fit exactly. The Tib has a funny setup inside, but it was a perfect fit. Not to mention there is a ton of room behind the dash and behind the automatic climate control unit. I was able to install the Sirius module and iPod adapter both behind the dash with ease.

The new HU seems like it's 5 times better than the stock unit. I soldered and put heat shrink tubing on my HU wiring harness to the Crutchfield provided adapter and it plugged right in. Now I have so much music I don't usually know what to choose, between MP3 disc, my iPod plugged in and hidden in the console, HD radio, or Sirius. The OEM amp works great in conjunction with the new HU.

If anyone else is looking to get Sirius, don't bother with the external units with FM modulators. Get a deck that can use the direct module, it sounds much better and my whole dash has a nice clean look. After the Crutchfield kit, the HU almost looks like it came that way from the factory.

I may think about replacing the factory speakers, but right now, I'm not sure it's even necessary since the sound is so good.

:3_winkthu

·
Registered
354 Posts
Let me know if u want to sell ur stock one cause ill buy it

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just wanted to report back to the board after install and it went PERFECTLY!

I purchased the following

I am purchasing the exact same HU from crutchfield so I can only hope my experience is as good as yours. My 2004 Tibby came with some AWESOME wiring by the first owner to run a ton of AMP power to the truck as well as premo quality RCA cabling from the HU to the truck. The previous owner installed the original HU so the cabling was sitting there, unused when I bought the car last month.

I have installed a 700W amp and two Fosgate 12s in a box in the truck. Works good with the head until, but I need my MP3 player to really enjoy longer trips (hate have 20-40 CDs) in the car knowing how easy glass can be broken, no to mention the pain of switching discs.

After I get the new HU it looks like I'll be using the OEM amp to run all but the sub (which I have handled in the trunk) and a MUCH better head unit. I'm impressed with the sound out of the stock infinity system; as far as stock systems go, anyway. But my music is just too important to me and I am hoping that JVC HDR1 sounds as good as everyone says it does.

Glad to see somone else has excellent luck with it in the same make and model car too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That's good to know. I got into this forum because, although I work for Crutch, there's no substitute for NT.com, where people have info that we don't even have. My Tibby is Crutchfield-equipped ('cause I get DISCOUNTS) but I got through that d*mn firewall thanks to you guys....

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
236 Posts
That's good to know. I got into this forum because, although I work for Crutch, there's no substitute for NT.com, where people have info that we don't even have. My Tibby is Crutchfield-equipped ('cause I get DISCOUNTS) but I got through that d*mn firewall thanks to you guys....

Keep up the good work!
Hears to my second experience with Crutchfield and it was just as positive as the first. After this, I am not sure I could ever trust anyone else to buy a head unit from. When I am looking for a 4 channel amp and new speakers in 3-4 months, crutchfield will probably be (99% sure) the place I buy.

Now how difficult is an alarm to hooking up? I know that's a lot tougher than a simple HU replacement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts