Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't car audio, but I bet you guys can help.

With my el cheapo garage system, I need longer speaker wires. The speakers do not have regular binding posts on the back- just speaker cable coming right out.

I need longer speaker cables, and I have plenty of 12ga around. So I'd like to snip the stock wire (which is VERY thin and crappy) a few inches from the speaker, and use the 12ga to go back to the receiver.

Is there a good way to connect 12ga to say, 20ga cable? I've heard of the "western union" splice...

I have wire strippers, heat shrink tubing, electrical tape, and a soldering gun to work with.

Thanks
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
312 Posts
Solder it, and tape it. You'll be golden. If you can get into the back of the speaker, it'd just be easier to wire the whole thing with 12g
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,837 Posts
+1 :3_winkthu
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,518 Posts
I say use a wire tap, you can always remove it.
You can get them in any size and for different gauges on both.
Looks like the blue plastic peice below:

 

·
Banned
Joined
·
312 Posts
If you were joining a regular wire, for power or something, that would be the way to go, but not for speaker wire. You want a solid connection there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GTea said:
Solder it, and tape it. You'll be golden. If you can get into the back of the speaker, it'd just be easier to wire the whole thing with 12g
Hmm, looks like I might be able to get into the back of the speaker. Either way, I now have a weekend project.

Thanks.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,518 Posts
GTea said:
If you were joining a regular wire, for power or something, that would be the way to go, but not for speaker wire. You want a solid connection there.
I'm lost here, wire taps provide a safe and secure connection. I have never had an issue with wire taps even in the times I used them for speaker connections to extend wires. If he is running all new wires from the speakers to the HU, I would suggest either soldering the wire to the HU (using a male/female connector crimp works great as well and is nice for takeing apart), and at the speaker I would only use a wire connecter crimped (you dont want to directly solder to a speaker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
or just splice them and twist add some tape. its a cheap garage system ull be fine... as long as u werent going from big wire to small u should be fine.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
312 Posts
croat said:
I'm lost here, wire taps provide a safe and secure connection. I have never had an issue with wire taps even in the times I used them for speaker connections to extend wires. If he is running all new wires from the speakers to the HU, I would suggest either soldering the wire to the HU (using a male/female connector crimp works great as well and is nice for takeing apart), and at the speaker I would only use a wire connecter crimped (you dont want to directly solder to a speaker.
I wasn't questioning whether or not the connection would be secure.. its an audio signal, I would generally prefer not to jump between different conduction mediums in the middle of the wire. Of course you would never solder directly to a speaker.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top