Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Need your expertise on identifying the geninue GT28RS turbine. What is the different between the Garrett GT28RS and the Nissan GT28RS? Saw on the ebay there are at least more than 3 types of GT28RS turbo, all at different prices. Which one should I choose? I'm looking for a reliable & fast spooling turbo that can give me 300whp at 1.2bar with a T3 or T25 flange. Pls advice.

$347
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/240S...tegoryZ33742QQihZ019QQitemZ290051384618QQrdZ1

$290
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GT28...tegoryZ33742QQihZ011QQitemZ320052322030QQrdZ1

$1175
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/m...OD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-004&Category_Code=GRT

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
antiquity said:
you may need to up the boost past 1.2 bar to get to the 300whp mark
Ok, what abt the quality of those $300+ Nissan GT28RS turbines compare with the Garrett GT28RS? Why that much a different? Is the Nissan GT28RS reliable? Anyone use it here?

·
Banned
434 Posts
Jsar said:
Ok, what abt the quality of those $300+ Nissan GT28RS turbines compare with the Garrett GT28RS? Why that much a different? Is the Nissan GT28RS reliable? Anyone use it here?

wish i could help you but i dont know the differences. I'll give them a look over but i cant promise i will be any help on this one.

·
Banned
434 Posts
all the specs are the same, turbine size a/r ratio and all that good stuff and they are using the same size and style housing. My only guess as to the big difference in price would be the possible difference in quality of the internal parts used. You also have to consider you will probably have a warranty on the garette and not anything bought on ebay.

Personally i wouldnt touch a turbo on ebay. have you decided on a cfm rate, turbine and compressor size and a/r rate that you want to use? You might try turbonetics as an alternative to the garrett, they are also a good turbo company.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
antiquity said:
all the specs are the same, turbine size a/r ratio and all that good stuff and they are using the same size and style housing. My only guess as to the big difference in price would be the possible difference in quality of the internal parts used. You also have to consider you will probably have a warranty on the garette and not anything bought on ebay.

Personally i wouldnt touch a turbo on ebay. have you decided on a cfm rate, turbine and compressor size and a/r rate that you want to use? You might try turbonetics as an alternative to the garrett, they are also a good turbo company.
I am nuts abt turbo specs, can u help me out on a good alternative turbo? Main criteria is it must be able to hit full spool by 3200-3500rpm cos my country streets are very short. There will be a traffic light junction every few hundreds meters. No point having a big turbo. You will not have chance to use it. 2nd, my budget is ard $500. Third I am aiming for 300whp . Our local petrol are 98 octance. I'm using the wesico 82.5mm forged pistons with stock con rods and oversize radiator. So maybe I would be able to go 1.5bar safely.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
ш wouldn't try to buy a dual bb turbo new for $350 . it could be even glued together or something. i think it will fail soon enough. but i have bought an oem nissan turbo. and i'm happy with it(i never run it still. but i'll try soon enough) , i have an rb20 one..

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
u should try and get in your budget some more $$ and pm adeihl...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
apkraven said:
ш wouldn't try to buy a dual bb turbo new for $350 . it could be even glued together or something. i think it will fail soon enough. but i have bought an oem nissan turbo. and i'm happy with it(i never run it still. but i'll try soon enough) , i have an rb20 one..
I find it tricky too at $300+ for a GT8RS. But how do you tell if its a geninue nissan turbo?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
for 300whp i would think you better take gt28r , not rs..

·
Banned
434 Posts
Personally with the stock redline being so short on the tiburon at just over 6500rpms i would want to reach full boost by absolutly no later than 2800. Usually a turbo that can do that will not run out of breath on the top end because of the short redline. Hitting full boost at 3500 leaves you only half of the rev range to boost. That is just unacceptable to me. The only way i would want boos tto come in any later than 3000 were if i were driving a 9000rpm rotary engine, but we are not talking about those here. I would say the GT28 is probably a pretty good size for this application.

That being said i have heard the turbonetics 60-1 is a good unit, but i havent looked at it much to know the specs.

here is a decent product matrix from turbonetics on what products fit roughly your application

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/downloads/techdata/TurboMatrix.pdf

you can adjust this graph based on higher boost pressure to use a smaller turbo as this is based on <10psi

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
antiquity said:
Personally with the stock redline being so short on the tiburon at just over 6500rpms i would want to reach full boost by absolutly no later than 2800. Usually a turbo that can do that will not run out of breath on the top end because of the short redline. Hitting full boost at 3500 leaves you only half of the rev range to boost. That is just unacceptable to me. The only way i would want boos tto come in any later than 3000 were if i were driving a 9000rpm rotary engine, but we are not talking about those here. I would say the GT28 is probably a pretty good size for this application.

That being said i have heard the turbonetics 60-1 is a good unit, but i havent looked at it much to know the specs.

here is a decent product matrix from turbonetics on what products fit roughly your application

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/downloads/techdata/TurboMatrix.pdf

you can adjust this graph based on higher boost pressure to use a smaller turbo as this is based on <10psi
So I guess a T04E - 50 stage II 0.48 AR would be more than sufficient for my 300whp application without going too high a boost level right? But then the price is out of my budget $1650+................damn !

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
JSAR - i'd say this

is genuine(i hope so), the knockoff rb20 write something like POWERXS or don't write anything at all.

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
Garret's GT28RS is a ballbearing turbo compared to a conventional journal bearing turbo, difference being the dual ballbearing is going to spool quicker and flow more. Most of the "Nissan" turbo's listed on Ebay are not the GT28RS,they are GT28R's, which is a direct bolt-on to the SR20DET head and downpipe. People on ebay advertise it as the RS so they can sell them. The two listed above are not Garrett's, and should be considered in the same class as the SS Autochrome turbo's(pieces of junk) The Garrett GT28RS is far superior to the GT28R, because of the GT turbine and compressor wheels, as well as the dual ballbearing center cartridges. The real RS is capable of around 300whp or so, and these turbo's they're listing are NOWHERE near capable of 500hp, let alone 575.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Red2.0Tib said:
Garret's GT28RS is a ballbearing turbo compared to a conventional journal bearing turbo, difference being the dual ballbearing is going to spool quicker and flow more. Most of the "Nissan" turbo's listed on Ebay are not the GT28RS,they are GT28R's, which is a direct bolt-on to the SR20DET head and downpipe. People on ebay advertise it as the RS so they can sell them. The two listed above are not Garrett's, and should be considered in the same class as the SS Autochrome turbo's(pieces of junk) The Garrett GT28RS is far superior to the GT28R, because of the GT turbine and compressor wheels, as well as the dual ballbearing center cartridges. The real RS is capable of around 300whp or so, and these turbo's they're listing are NOWHERE near capable of 500hp, let alone 575.
Thanks for the clarification Red2.0Tib................so is there any other fast spooling and reliable turbo in the market that are capable of 300whp and with $700 range? I still need to custom the downpipe. The IHI RHF5-1A turbine I have with my turbo kit now i reckon can only reach 210whp with premium fuel @ 1.1bar. My manifold come with a T3/T25 flange and i believe the exhaust flange is only specially for IHI turbines. I need to upgrade this turbo to something bigger preferbly without customising a new downpipe cause I like my present downpipe clearance and design.

JSar

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WashBurn said:
james, go for the GT28R or GT30R. run an external wastegate thereafter. your supporting mods are up to it.

- simon.
Big job and cost involved if use GT28R with external wastegate. The downpipe need to refabricate and require to purchase a external wastegate.

I'm contacting Turbo One right now to see if they have a compatible larger IHI turbo with exhaust flanges identical to mine or able to upgrade my present turbo internals.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
you could buy one of t3/t4 hybrids. they are cheaper than gt's... they are bigger too, so they have bigger possibilities..

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
apkraven said:
you could buy one of t3/t4 hybrids. they are cheaper than gt's... they are bigger too, so they have bigger possibilities..
Now i am worried abt shopping at ebay for turbo. Imagine those that use glue to stick casing together. Can show me a link for the T3/T4 hybrids?

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
What about the RHF6 or maybe one of the RHE series, according to the compressor maps there are a couple that can flow close to the power numbers you're looking for...here's a link to what I am looking at IHI USA

I know IHI does ALOT more business in the Far East than they do in the US, but over there they may be more easily accessible. If you're looking for something that will flow what you want you may want to think about the GT2871, it is slightly larger than you're looking but will definitely get you where you're going.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts