Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shifter just broke while slowing down down shifting into first at a stoplight....

Allen screw broke off.... :3_steam:

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeP! lol jk no i don't think the allen screw was tight....

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I felt it get loose a couple months back went in and tightened it and I think that its just Low quality-Ralco RZ is the make... I wasn't doing anything I wasn't suppose to be but idk if the bushings also had wear on it but who knows... I got it fixed up til I can get to denver to get my stock one...

·
Registered
654 Posts
if nothing can be done with the broken one, just cut your stock one.

I did that to mine. Picked the right height I wanted, cut, re-thread and if you have a 6speed theres a little modification needed on the shift lock but it's easy because it's plastic. And done, custom shifter for basically free. Mine works great just like an STS from online without the 60+ pricetag

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
when u say downshifting into first were u going like 5mph or where u doing a more dramatic 20mph slow down and slammed that thing in.

idk about u but i find u can force it into 1st but theres prolly a reason as to why its so hard....

·
Registered
446 Posts
i feel like u shouldnt downshift into first while slowing down at least i never do

·
Registered
947 Posts
i dont think downshifting at like >5mph is that harmful...cuz for me it seems to downshift easy around the single digits...

however i dont usually downshift to 1st unless my car's completely stopped...=_=

·
Banned
3,990 Posts
Rofl? Dont worry guys downshifting to first is a-ok to do. You just gotta do it right to make it easy. I always double clutch when I downshift into first because of the big change in gearing. Your transmission is synchronized ofcourse so when you go to shift into 1st and it blocks you out its because the synchro isnt at the right speed. Thats why you double clutch the downshift to first. You can probably get it just by rev-matching but it will save you some wear on the synchros to doubleclutch. Ofcourse I have only felt the need to downshift to first a couple of times, there is no point in doing it at every redlight.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh jeez guys... No I wasn't down shifting fast or at high speeds and I also Doubleclutch when I down shift into first.... So I just idk what happen the allen screw just broke I had to take off the shift cover and shift down by the lock out to make it work but i got home got a longer allen screw drilled a little hole screw Allen in and its all good now but I am putting my stock shifter back in next tuesday... But anyways... Everything is fine didn't hurt the car at all so any other ?'s lol.... I might weld it after i get my stock shifter back in just weld all the joints and it be way better... lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts