Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

[H] Which car should I get for my first?

991 views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Mark.J86 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. Public transportation here sucks so my dad used to give me a ride everywhere, but now that he's not with us, I'm going to need a car. I don't have my license, heck I don't have my permit yet. I'm going to get it asap because I really need it now. The reason why I'm asking about buying a car 6 months earlier is because someone's going to help me find the car that I want, good prices etc and it's going to take him some time. I'm 16 and my mom is willing to get me a $10,000 car which I need to drive until I graduate college. I'm going to drive it for many years so might as well get something I'm going to like; a decent manual tranny sports car. I've always been wanting a tiburon but I'm not sure anymore. As of now I'm really interested in a 300zx, but I think the mileages are too high since that car is pretty old . Any suggestions? Oh and I'm going to practice w/ manual while I have my permit with my friend's car so I'm not going to kill mine. :3_a_puh:

edit: what does it mean when it says 2+2 by the car name?

edit #2 1/ 25/ 06: I came down to 2 cars, either the tiburon or a 3000gt.
how are 3000gt's? the standard one, not SL or the VR-4. There is a 94 VR-4 for under 10k (86k miles on it)...thinking of getting that.

See less See more
#2 ·
2+2 means 2 normal sized seat and the backseat hasn't much room, better for kids

#3 ·
i'm guessing 2+2 basically means it will fit 2 people and maybe 2 small midgets in the back,

dont know if a 300zx would be the best choice if you're on a budget, dont know much about them but any high mileage turbo car is gonna require some extra maintenance.

#12 ·
i'm guessing 2+2 basically means it will fit 2 people and maybe 2 small midgets in the back,

dont know if a 300zx would be the best choice if you're on a budget, dont know much about them but any high mileage turbo car is gonna require some extra maintenance.

Lol, small midgets made me laugh. but it's right, you'd have to be a midget midget to fit in the back. Getting Some Booty = Front Seat Play. Man i miss my bonneville ssei :3_devil_w

#4 ·
not to mention any good condion 300zx worth a damn (TT models) are going to worth $10k or more and like the one above said, maintance on those cars is crazy

#5 ·
If your looking for your first car I would get a civic or somthing or maybe if you can find a 03 tib for around 10K. Just for the fact that there are things you can do to them, but they shouldn't eat up to much money with matainence.

Oh and 2+2 is the 4 seat version of the 300ZX, it is like 4 inches longer I belive. But don't quote me on that.

#6 ·
Do you have to make any road trips or is your commuting all local? I would say go with a 96-99 honda civic ex... should run you anywhere between 6-9k.. then you will have some extra cash on da side to play with by starting the mods...

#8 ·
not to mention something like a civic is a good place to start learning to mod given the aftermarket backing.... its also a good platform to become a ricer.. dont be a ricer or we will have to kill u :3_devil_w

#10 ·
eagle talon tsi (same hting as mitsu eclipse)... more maintenance tho. if you want a solid car that holds more people, you can probably find some early Mazda 6's for 10k... maybe. VW golfs, maybe some older GTis... some say they last forever, some say they break.
i still think a civic is your best option. you might even be able to find a 99-00 Si for a little over $10k, and that's actually a quick car. you can get a civic hatch, coupe, or sedan and they're super solid cars.
u can also consider a nissan 240SX... they're pretty sturdy, and for 10k u can probably find one that has already had an engine/tranny swap, but that would be more hands-on... you might want to learn some more hands-on stuff before messing with a car that will need a lot of attention (mechanically).

#14 ·
I'm not much of a civic fan, but if it's the best car in my situation hands down, i'll probably consider it, but I think buying a car I want is important because I'm going to stick with this for a while, and might as well enjoy it. Since this is going to be my first, I agree with the maintanance problems will give me trouble with cars with too much mileage. So I don't think I should get a 300zx and 240sx (Thanks to the maintanence posts). A 03 Tiburon about 40k-70k miles is a good choice? What if I want to start adding small mods after some time? Will adding mods be a problem at about 100k miles? Thanks for helping me!

#19 ·
Try and nail a V6 Tib with decent mileage. Tibs are good cars and they're fun. Crap who am I impressing this IS Tiburon forum:3_smilies Toyota's and honda's are also good if not better on reliability.

#20 ·
I recently bought a tiburon after shopping around a lot. My spending limit was 12-13k, so a bit more. I was focusing on a few different cars. First was a Tiburon. Second a Corolla S. Finally WRX, Scion Tc and Various Audi quattros. I found that with the Tib you get the most with the lowest miles for the same amount of cash. The Corolla S for the same 12k would have double the miles my 03 Tib had (38k). As for the WRX I could even find one worth buying, Sti's pretty much weren't for sale. TC's were introduced in 05, therefore still had a price tag much higher than I could afford, and Audi's were more expensive for more miles. I'm def happy with my Tib, and I'd say for 10k you could lock one down with around 60k miles

If not I'd take a look at Civic Si, I know people like to crap all over them because 90% of the people who mod them make them giant ricers. Just go easy on the cheap mods and do the ones that count and you'll have a nice, reliable car thats also fun to drive. Personally I don't like the look of pre-03 Tib at all.

But either way, you've got plenty of time to work with, and the longer you wait, the more affordable the cars you're looking at will be. So good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.