Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read online you have to have the supercharger be built for the model and year of your car including having the C.A.R.B. number and a sticker on your car. This also has to pass smog. I was planning to change my exhaust and header too (which I read on line might fail me on my smog check). Does anyone have any advice before I take the larger leap forward and saving all this money for this supercharger in CA?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have installed 3 different superchargers in total about 20 times. I have also installed headers twice. Long story short, if you are concerned with SMOG and legality, just don't do any type of FI. If you have an 03-06, you can legally install an Alpine Stage 0 or 1 SC kit. It technically is legal, but you probably won't be able to find the CARB sticker for it. Headers will be an auto fail for SMOG, because it fails both the visual and the sniffer test.

You can buy CARB stickers and replica stickers, but those aren't really official so not much point in that. My only advice is don't do anything stupid to get your hood popped. I made my build look as OEM as possible to avoid such issues...luckily haven't had any yet. I do know the EO number and keep it handy, so if a cop does pull me over and wants to peak under the hood, I can at least say is Stage 1 and legal in CA (its really Stage 2 and not legal, but the odds of the cop knowing that are slime to none).

No matter what you do, its kinda a calculated risk as far as legality. There is no real clear answer unless you were able to find an Alpine unit with the original carb sticker and you were able to put it on an 03-06 with no check engine lights. Headers are a definite no.

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
There is no carb-legal sc kit for your year. The carb E.O.# D-551-1 is ONLY for the 2003 v6 tib. (2000-2003 2.7ltr hyn/kia)
E.O.'s are very descriptive, including the 86.5mm pulley size. It may get you a pass with the LEO, but most just issue a ref inspection, in which case you'll fail.

Tib headers are illegal in all regards. Since it removes the precats, it will screw with your emissions on the 15mph test. I actually sold my sc tib because I was tired of looking for ways to deal with the smog check every 2 years and traded it in for a factory turbo genesis.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Actually there is a carb sticker for the 05-06 as well. I had it and the state ref checked it and said it was legal

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
Actually there is a carb sticker for the 05-06 as well. I had it and the state ref checked it and said it was legal

Yeah, but that's -2 of the same D-551 eo # for Alpine and only covers 05-06.
The OP has a 2008 per previous threads, which is why he's SOL. Alpine had already closed their US shop by then, otherwise they could have used the 2003 test results to get a -3 executive order to cover 07-08's.

The carb stickers help roadside checks, but the eo is the final say. If the OP had an earlier year, he could piece together a used kit and call it a day. I gave away the last of my alpine stickers many years ago. I lived right by them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts