Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car seems to drive fine as long as its dry out until you hit a bump in the road and the rear end will move back and forth. In the rain its dangerous to drive the rear end is so loose cause its moving from side to side. Do I have a busted shock or broke spring maybe.

·
Hater With No Friends
11,098 Posts
You're driving too fast for conditions. Get new tires. I doubt it's a suspension issue.

·
Hater With No Friends
11,098 Posts
45 is to fast on the 4 lane with brand new tires and rims no its not me at all its the car
It can be in the rain. Why does the amount of lanes matter? Anything can be too fast for conditions, depending on the conditions (rain/snow/ice). If you really feel it's a suspension issue, go get it aligned. Also, make sure your e-brake is all the way down.

·
Hater With No Friends
11,098 Posts
Bent rear control arm?
I doubt there is any real suspension damage, like this, being that he said it drives fine when dry. I also hope someone would notice a bent control arm (or a problem that serious) without having to ask. lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dude it aint me it doesnt matter if its raining snowing icing whatever else you got the rear end shouldnt be swaying from side to side going 40 miles an hour when everyone else is passing you doing 60 the car is a 06 se 6 speed with only 21000 miles the e brake aint up it will still do it if i hit a bump in the road but only the rear end so I highly doubt its my driving

·
Hater With No Friends
11,098 Posts
Dude it aint me it doesnt matter if its raining snowing icing whatever else you got the rear end shouldnt be swaying from side to side going 40 miles an hour when everyone else is passing you doing 60 the car is a 06 se 6 speed with only 21000 miles the e brake aint up it will still do it if i hit a bump in the road but only the rear end so I highly doubt its my driving
Punctuation makes everything easier to read. Please keep that in mind.

I'm just trying to eliminate things. I've seen people with their e-brake up, even a little bit, and it caused similar issues. Again, speed of others doesn't matter. You are clearly having a traction problem. If you have a broken spring or a bad strut, you'd realize it. A bad strut wouldn't respond. A broken spring will likely make noise. Tiburons don't have shocks, so you can eliminate that.

You said you got new wheels and tires. What are they? Did you get them balanced? If they vary from the stock dimensions, did you get your car aligned?

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
If you have a broken spring or a bad strut, you'd realize it. A bad strut wouldn't respond. A broken spring will likely make noise. Tiburons don't have shocks, so you can eliminate that.
The struts hold the springs and are the shocks for the car. If one blew a seal or is faulty the ride will become bouncy since it's not doing it's job absorbing the shock. The struts take the most abuse of the whole suspension. They are meant to dampen the impact of bumps by limiting the shock to the suspension, which I guess is why they are also called shock absorbers.

While this doesn't sound like the problem in this case as you clearly pointed out it only happens when it is raining. What you are describing is hydroplaning, which means you may be driving too fast for conditions or even your tires have poor tread, which I'll agree with Eric says. Tire pressure also has an effect so be sure your tires are inflated correctly.

You're driving too fast for conditions. Get new tires. I doubt it's a suspension issue.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I've been fighting this problem too. sounds like its on the rear passenger side. i replaced both endlinks and passenger side strut, installed new top strut mounts and poly bump stops. I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
512 Posts
OP Have you gotten under the car and checked it out for yourself?

I'm thinking you might have a broken sway bar end link or a bushing come loose holding it to the frame or something like that.....

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
A broken sway bar end link won't do what he is saying that the car is doing. Afterall, you can remove the swaybar and it still won't act that way. Swaybars are only there to assist in the suspension rolling during hard cornering and there is also added stiffness during bounce when hitting bumps. If the car works just fine when it is dry out and acts up when it is raining, I would look for one thing since he has brand new tires on his car. If the tires that you had mounted on your car are asymetrical / directional, make sure that they didn't put them on backwards. I have known this to happen more so than offen. Directional tires have to be mounted in the direction of rotation. You can tell this by the little tell-tale arrow on the side of the tire. If directional tires are mounted backwards, you are going to have one hell of a time in the rain.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The car also does this when it hits a uneven part of the road. In the rain is when its most noticable. Driving under 50 in the rain on a highway is really kinda slow for any car. I have no clue of what it could be.

·
Hater With No Friends
11,098 Posts
The car also does this when it hits a uneven part of the road. In the rain is when its most noticable. Driving under 50 in the rain on a highway is really kinda slow for any car. I have no clue of what it could be.
You've explained this already. We already have this information. Did you find out anything new for us? Anything that can be eliminated so we don't keep playing a guessing game?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Like I said moments ago, check for directional tires put on backwards. They do the same thing on dry roads as they do on wet roads. The tires will fight against the road instead of biting down on the road, it is just worst in the rain.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Could we get what type of tires you have?
Could we get what type of wheels you have?

For EXAMPLE:

"I just put on a new set of Enkei's RPF1 with BF Goodrich's GeForce T/A KDWs with 235/40/17"

That information would help us a ton.

Not to belittle you, but let's make a checklist:

1: Did I tighten ALL THE BOLTS DOWN (Star-Pattern?
2: Did I have a REPUTABLE (not some cheap place your Honda friends tell you about) Shop to get my Tires installed onto the wheels? Did the shop BALANCE the wheels after they wrapped the tires around the wheels??
3: Are my tires "directional" or "non-directional" ??????? If they are directional, are they facing the direction they have to be?

If all those things check out, and you don't have any bent/broken suspension parts, then I'm afraid it might be you misjudging your driving ability.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If ya can jack up the rear and get some pics, another idea might be since you have new rims and tires maybe swap back to the old ones and see if the problem still exists....Maybe next time make a video might help more in the diagnosis...

·
Registered
3 Posts
The car seems to drive fine as long as its dry out until you hit a bump in the road and the rear end will move back and forth. In the rain its dangerous to drive the rear end is so loose cause its moving from side to side. Do I have a busted shock or broke spring maybe.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Need to make sure your sway bar links are not broken. IF normal suspension components look ok, replace your strut assemblies. If your rear are bad, so are your front. Do all of them. Dont cheap out on suspension components. These are the components that keep your car on the road, and you out of the hospital.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts