Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok don't flame me first of all, because I've been searching for over an hour now and somehow am not getting what I am looking for.

If I buy OBX or Hotshot headers, ARK single tip exhaust, and a Magnaflow cat, do these all connect right up, or will a shop have to cut part of the downpipe to weld in the cat?

And i assume that even with a cat, this will fail TN emissions visual inspection?

Thx

·
Registered
59 Posts
The OBX header setup replaces the manifold and both cats, and it bolts right up to the next section of the stock exhaust, which is after the flex pipe. yeah if you wanted to get that magnaflow cat in there it would take cutting and welding.
Just to let you know when you replace the manifold with the header, there are pre and post O2 censors. The obx only has one bung for an O2 censor so you'll have to cut a hole and weld in a second bung. Not to mention with out a cat you'll get a CEL(check engine light). and the likly hood of passing an emissions test even with the magnaflow cat :3_nooo:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DeathMetalDan said:
The OBX header setup replaces the manifold and both cats, and it bolts right up to the next section of the stock exhaust, which is after the flex pipe. yeah if you wanted to get that magnaflow cat in there it would take cutting and welding.
Just to let you know when you replace the manifold with the header, there are pre and post O2 censors. The obx only has one bung for an O2 censor so you'll have to cut a hole and weld in a second bung. Not to mention with out a cat you'll get a CEL(check engine light). and the likly hood of passing an emissions test even with the magnaflow cat :3_nooo:
Ok so basically I could buy just a header system and a cat back and they would bolt directly to each other? (Which is why the shop would have to splice in the cat?)

As for the o2 sensors, I understand you can leave the second sensor hanging which reads the air outside the exhaust so it does away with the CEL?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Here's what you need to do.
Buy the OBX header and a magnaflow cat to match the pipe sizing on the header.
Then take those 2 items to an exhaust shop and have them cut the header just before the catback flange and weld in the cat. Also, when you get your catback take it to a muffler shop and have them weld in an O2 bung aprox 6-12 inches behind the flang that meets up with your header or stock manifold. then plug it with a bolt of the right thread untill you need it. Make sure that the cat you get is OBD II compliant (this is very important) Magnaflow makes a series of cat's that are supposed to work with all OBD II systems to give no cel....and it works if installed right. When you install your header....do it yourself.... im afraid this is the only way to make sure it is done right. Do not have another bung welded into your OBX header.... its not needed.
Tools needed
Std socket set
O2 socket or something to remove the O2 sensors
and saudering gun + sauder + high quality wire of equal or larger size than the factory O2 sensor wires
Start by hitting all the exhaust bolts with WD40
Disconnect the 2xO2 sensor wires from the clips
Then remove the whole manifold and stock downpipe 1 pice at a time.
Remove the 2 O2 sensors from the manifold and downpipe.
Now install the first O2 sensor into your obx manifold (there should be only 1 bung in the obx manifold and it should be located aprox where the stock 2nd o2 bung was....this is fine.
install the 2nd O2 sensor into your catback where you had previously plugged the hole with a bolt.
now extend the 2nd o2 sensor cables with the wire and saudering gun by cutting the wireing harness and resaudering in the correct length of wire being very carefull to get good connections and not cross wires.
Now install your OBX header.
You will notice that your 1st o2 sensor wires will not reach the o2 sensor. this is Okay. DO NOT EXTEND THESE O2 SENSOR WIRES.
This o2 sensor cable can be relocated without cutting the wires. you just need to cut the electrical tape off the wire loom that surrounds it and slowly work those 4 wires out of the loom untill you have made it all the way to the rear of the motor. once you have enough wire out of the loom you can cover it will some spare audio loom from crappy tire or pep boys. then tape everything up with electrical tape and your set. Expect this install to take aprox 1.5 days if not rushed. its worth it tho. you will have a CEL free header install if done correctly and your primary O2 sensor will be reading all 4 cylinders instead of 1.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I really appreciate the clarification!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Get it right and a header will be your favorite mod of all time.
Get it wrong and you'll want to kill yourself.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Theyre's some good pic's of toecutters and my setup here:
http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17914&highlight=HEADER+INSTALL
Im Jonny666 over there cuz Jdogg was taken or jonny666 was taken over here, i cant remember. either way plz add pics and info on your install even if you dont relocate your O2 sensors. Its great for noob's with header questions and show's how a header install should be done. Also plz add pics and info on your install ESPECIALLY if you have not relocated the O2 sensors and still dont have a CEL. Apparently some people have gotten away with this...but i cant find anyone that will post pics of this type of setup.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok one last question... Does anybody know what size Cat to buy to fit the OBX headers?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've got an OBX header,
i'm putting on a new clutch this weekend, I have to take off the flex pipe to do so. I'll measure it for you when i get it off. probably get back to you on saturday. sorry if thats too late. but i'll do my best to get at it earlier if i can.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DeathMetalDan said:
I've got an OBX header,
i'm putting on a new clutch this weekend, I have to take off the flex pipe to do so. I'll measure it for you when i get it off. probably get back to you on saturday. sorry if thats too late. but i'll do my best to get at it earlier if i can.
Hey no problem, I've got finals coming up so I'm ordering this week and next and installing around Dec. 15.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sdevante-
hey i just wannted to make sure, do you have a 6 or 4 cylinder. I have a 4 so i don't know if its the same for a 6 or not.
anyway i'll throw the size out in a day or two.
later

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DeathMetalDan said:
Sdevante-
hey i just wannted to make sure, do you have a 6 or 4 cylinder. I have a 4 so i don't know if its the same for a 6 or not.
anyway i'll throw the size out in a day or two.
later
It's a 4. Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sdevante- Alright i measured up the pipe for ya, remember this is the OBX headers, for the 2.0L DOHC, it comes out to be 2.125"(outside diameter). Have fun with the exhaust install, its nice and easy and you'll notice the difference, performance and sound. Hey you might want to prefit the exhaust before you have it cut and welded, i noticed on my setup i could have used an extra 2" or so on the over all length, you would be able to account for any fitment issues by doing so.

DDTiburon05 - do the mods, the dealer can't void your entire warranty for mods, they are only aloud to void the warranty pertaining to the particular parts your modded, and or parts that are directly affected by the new/performance parts. Do a Google search on "Maguson Moss Warranty Act" that will give you more in depth info on warranty information.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DeathMetalDan ... Thanks so much for the measurement.

I'm wondering if it would be easier to install the exhaust and headers and then take the car and cat over to the shop and have them put the cat in that way... We'll see.

·
Registered
59 Posts
hey guys, sorry..... i revised my measurment posting, I had originally put two and a quarter, well it was supposed to say 2.125"---- that is the actual measurment, 2.125" or 2-(1/8)". Sorry about that.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DMD, I'll certainly let you know which one I get. I "think" I need a 2.25", but trying to research a bit more. Got my exhaust today and ordered my headers today, so I'm pretty excited.

Let me just clarify... the flex pipe goes towards the front of the vehicle, where the headers come down... and the cat gets welded in at the back, where the cat-back exhaust lines up?

I know it seems basic but on Ebay, the header pictures show the flex pipe towards the back. Me thinks they have the pic wrong.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sdevante said:
DMD, I'll certainly let you know which one I get. I "think" I need a 2.25", but trying to research a bit more. Got my exhaust today and ordered my headers today, so I'm pretty excited.

Let me just clarify... the flex pipe goes towards the front of the vehicle, where the headers come down... and the cat gets welded in at the back, where the cat-back exhaust lines up?

I know it seems basic but on Ebay, the header pictures show the flex pipe towards the back. Me thinks they have the pic wrong.
The flex pipe section is between the headers and the catback section, the flex piece mounts closest to the header, and then yes you would weld in the Cat on the flex pipe section, closer to the cat back exhaust portion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts