Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headers are always looming on my want list, but they continue to stay there due to California emissions regulations. Now we all know how much the power bug bites you when you get a few 'go' mods. With AEM CAI, Borla exhaust, and an Apexi Neo Tuner..I recently did a couple runs and was basically at 160whp (with the auto transmission). I know how much headers can bring all that together, and add some more punch...the difference would be noticeable, but my concerns/questions are:

1) Apparently the Hotshot headers do come with a cat, so in that regard I suppose I would not be breaking California laws..because I would still have a cat converter.
2) ...but even so, won't I either:
a) still get pulled over by cops because it will be too loud..
b) still be against emissions laws because of the revamped flow
c) still fail smog in 2008, just on visual appearance alone

I want to get headers, but it seems like if you do it in California, you're just asking for trouble. Is there no hope, no 'safe' way?

BTW, as of now I am happy to be getting no attention from cops at all. I have never been pulled over due to car modifications. If I just drive sanely, perhaps I will get left alone. I saw a sick NSX last week, and that thing was LOUD. Now maybe he's had his trouble with cops, but it makes me want to go for it. Any help, opinions appreciated. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
I have a AEM CAI ,Hotshot Header w/ cat , and a Borla catback exhaust. Much like you, I put my headers on last. At higher rpms, I wouldn't say that the headers produced a louder exhaust note. At low to mid rpm range, because of the vast increase in torque, the exhaust note was noticably louder and lower pitched, more like a V8(not like, just more like). I have only had officers compliment the sound of my Tiburon, never have I gotten into trouble with decible levels.

As far as the emissions concern, I have had no trouble, but I live in Georgia, not California. If you plan on doing the headers with cat, I will warn you that due to the O2 relocation complications, I would give yourself at least 10-15 hours to install. It is possible to only have to solder (yes, these must be soldered for your own cars's reliability; don't try to shortcut this) the two secondary sensors that need to be extended beyond the cat. The front exhaust manifold o2 sensor wire will have to be separated from a jumble of other wires on the passengers side of the engine ( separate this wire until you reach behind the drivers side of the intake plenum, beside the throttle body). Then this will give you enough original wire to work with to bring the 02 sensor around to the driver side of the engine where the new bung for the 02 sensor will be located on the header. The rear exhaust manifold 02 sensor will not have to be extended, it will fit the header as is. This method gave me no CEL, and I was able to limit my connections to 16 solders.

You are going to need to partially remove the timing belt to access the a/c compressor. Unlike what the diy says to remove it you will need a very large extention on your ratchet, and you will pull towards the FRONT of the car, and take the belt off of the alternator pulley. Be ready to partially remove the A/C compressor (this is required to remove the front exhaust manifold') ; if you do have to remove the A/C compressor completely (you probably won't)have an A/C recharge kit handy, unless you don't care since it's almost winter anyways. Unlike many I did not have to swing the alternator out of the way to access the rear manifold ( but then again if you don't have adequate tools, and can't work in tight spaces, then you will have some trouble) . To access the rear manifold, you might also want to remove the intake plenum, but I would only do this as a last resort (in other words, be ready with replacement gaskets, but don't assume you will need to take it off. But, If time is an issue for you, then I would suggest to remove the intake plenum). Like I warned you, this isn't as simple as Hotshot may advertise it. I hope you have already looked over some of the DIY forums, or else you may have no idea what I'm talking about.

You are going to need 10 or 12 guage wire (you can find it at home depot, and 20 feet should be way more than enough) , plenty of split plastic tubing ( to house all of your rewiring), rolls upon rolls of electrical tape (to seal the split tubing, and protect those delicate wires from the elements) , shrink wrap (to protect your solders), at least a few cans of WD-40, and plenty of zip-ties (to keep the relocated wires away from hot engine parts.

This may seem overly extensive, but if you prepare yourself by reading up on this, your header installation will seem fairly easy, and you won't get in over your head.

I guarantee you that the results will amaze you; low to mid end torque will vastly increase the drivabilty of your Tiburon (shifts easier also). Your engine has been breathing through a straw, with headers it will be breathing nearly unrestricted. If you haven't already, find the diy on the clutch delay valve removal (after installing headers, I was forced to do this mod because I had severe clutch slipping). The mod doesn't take any more than 30 minutes. With headers, the horsepower increase will not be as dramatic, but you will definately notice a significant difference. Headers will keep you from constantly shifting to find power in the higher rpm range. These Hotshot Headers improved my tib more than the CAI and exhaust put together. The time and effort put in are definately worth the result.

My tiburon with less than $2,000 in mods can now beat my father's Lexus SC 430 ($65,000) in nearly every aspect but top speed. Handling is not doubt better than the SC. I find it amazing that my 2.7L V6 can put to shame a 4.3L Toyota V8.

I encourage you to reseach the diy forums as much as you can, and contact me if you need any help at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,058 Posts
1) Apparently the Hotshot headers do come with a cat, so in that regard I suppose I would not be breaking California laws..because I would still have a cat converter. Wrong. You are in violation still. You cannot modify the emissions system. Your car came with THREE cats, cant move any....
2) ...but even so, won't I either:
a) still get pulled over by cops because it will be too loud..Probably, but it probably depends on how you drive.
b) still be against emissions laws because of the revamped flow YES
c) still fail smog in 2008, just on visual appearance alone Visual and probably tail pipe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Thats why you take it to someone who will pass you...its cali, i am sure you can find someone who will do it...no worries for me when smog time comes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
ozkrow said:
Thats why you take it to someone who will pass you...its cali, i am sure you can find someone who will do it...no worries for me when smog time comes.
Is there any way we can work out a referal system when I get my headers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
anthony718 said:
Is there any way we can work out a referal system when I get my headers?
I take that as a no?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,879 Posts
It's simple....

Install whatever freaking headers you want. Don't drive like a moron attracking attention to yourself. When it comes time for smog, put the stock stuff on .. smog... reinstall headers.

SIMPLE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
05GT said:
It's simple....

Install whatever freaking headers you want. Don't drive like a moron attracking attention to yourself. When it comes time for smog, put the stock stuff on .. smog... reinstall headers.

SIMPLE.
There is nothing simple about what you just mentioned. Taking off headers, and putting it back to stock. Then repeating the process again putting back on the aftermarket headers? I would much rather have a hook up. How much easier is that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,879 Posts
anthony718 said:
There is nothing simple about what you just mentioned. Taking off headers, and putting it back to stock. Then repeating the process again putting back on the aftermarket headers? I would much rather have a hook up. How much easier is that?

Installing headers isn't that hard. One weekend to smog and replace everything. Call me cheap, but I'd rather pay the $25 for smog than having to slip someone $250.

MHO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
05GT said:
Installing headers isn't that hard. One weekend to smog and replace everything. Call me cheap, but I'd rather pay the $25 for smog than having to slip someone $250.

MHO
I'd be slipping someone $250 to pass me or $400 or more to install and reinstall headers. Which one would you pick? Installing headers for you may not be hard. But I don't have the patience, nor the adequate tools.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
anthony718 said:
There is nothing simple about what you just mentioned. Taking off headers, and putting it back to stock. Then repeating the process again putting back on the aftermarket headers? I would much rather have a hook up. How much easier is that?

LOL. I found a fast way to uninstall/install headers. I didn't even have to move the AC nor the starter. I didn't even have to unscrew their bolts. :3_chubby: I did it already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,879 Posts
GuamBomb said:
LOL. I found a fast way to uninstall/install headers. I didn't even have to move the AC nor the starter. I didn't even have to unscrew their bolts. :3_chubby: I did it already.

How bout you just freaking tell us how to do it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
anthony718 said:
I'd be slipping someone $250 to pass me or $400 or more to install and reinstall headers. Which one would you pick? Installing headers for you may not be hard. But I don't have the patience, nor the adequate tools.
250...are you crazy! the guys we work with charge us for the cost of the smog only. i guess we give them so much business they hook us up. once i know you are not a po-po undercover we will talk...just kidding. but you do see why posting up info on shops that will pass you is a bad idea! besides you dont have smog till what?...4-5 years...worry about it when the time comes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
ozkrow said:
250...are you crazy! the guys we work with charge us for the cost of the smog only. i guess we give them so much business they hook us up. once i know you are not a po-po undercover we will talk...just kidding. but you do see why posting up info on shops that will pass you is a bad idea! besides you dont have smog till what?...4-5 years...worry about it when the time comes
I wouldn't think it would be $250 either, all they have to do is overlook something...
 

·
Swim away fishes...
Joined
·
5,421 Posts
You can pass emissions without precats. But if you don't use the main catalyst, you will not pass.

If you feel risky, use the stock cat or equivalent and cross your fingers for the visual.

Also, if you are inspected by a police officer, they'll want to see a CARB sticker if they see the header. Just throwing that out there for those that think you only have to worry about biennial emissions once the time comes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
c-man said:
You can pass emissions without precats. But if you don't use the main catalyst, you will not pass.

If you feel risky, use the stock cat or equivalent and cross your fingers for the visual.

Also, if you are inspected by a police officer, they'll want to see a CARB sticker if they see the header. Just throwing that out there for those that think you only have to worry about biennial emissions once the time comes.
well of course you still need a cat, i know that. Me and my friend were thinkin take off that "do not touch hot" plate on the stock header and throwing that over the new ones..so that if a police officer checks it..then it still looks stock. Plus they wont be able to see the header.

Im still not a 100% sure if i wanna go the direction of headers...but we will see.

Also wat is the fast way of taking off teh headers.... i want to know
 

·
Swim away fishes...
Joined
·
5,421 Posts
imatharu29 said:
well of course you still need a cat, i know that. Me and my friend were thinkin take off that "do not touch hot" plate on the stock header and throwing that over the new ones..so that if a police officer checks it..then it still looks stock. Plus they wont be able to see the header.

Im still not a 100% sure if i wanna go the direction of headers...but we will see.

Also wat is the fast way of taking off teh headers.... i want to know
Sounds like a plan. Make sure the car is nice and hot when its time to smog.

The fastest way to take of the headers is either to have very small, but strong, hands :) or to have the engine out on a stand. :):)

It takes time due to the limited space, but besides that it is just a regular bolt-on mod.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top