Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm looking at getting headers finally for my tib and had a couple of questions....
1st: what headers would you guys recommend??? i have the ARK N2 dual cat-back system already installed....
2nd question: most of the headers i've looked at state that they "bolt right up to the cat. converter" BUT, the only bolt on part connected to my cat is to bolt it to the cat-back... the other end is welded on.... are you're tibs like this also or is mine just a freak? and if so, did you guys just have to take it to a shop to get a flange welded on? OR is there a place where i could just buy a test pipe to put in place of the cat? gotta love bein in the military, lol NO CARB INSPECTIONS FOR ME!!!!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I was looking at that as well, and no, your tibs not unique in this respect. what they mean is "It bolts right up next to the cat". In short, your best bet, if you want a cat, is to install the headers, then cut & weld in a new cat afterwards.

And as far as the ARK N2's concerned: thats a great exhaust ^_^

I was gonna pick some up, but everyone i went to was out of stock, or out of my price range... so i settled for DC all the way back. If its in your budget, pick up either some Hotshots or DC's. Really good fitment from both, from what ive heard, and i believe theyre both ceramic coated (at least the DCs are... im looking right at em).

as far as headers ive seen: you either get uber quality (DC and Hotshot) or basically ebay exhaust (OBX, SSA, SharkRacing)... check out the stickied "Official Headers Thread". Theyre all listed.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
yeah if u got no emissions then dont get a cat!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Most headers replace the cat with a "test pipe". It doesnt bolt upto it.

By all means get a cat converter, it will sound 10000x better than no cat. Get a high flow, weld up some flanges and your set. It will sounds like crap, and very raspy if you dont have a cat on there,

Expensive, but i'd recommend the Hotshots.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i was looking into hotshots anyways so it's good to hear recommendations for it.. and yeah i haven't fully decided yet what i want to do about the cat... i probably will just get a high flow welded onto it... hopefully they're not TOO much of a pain to install... the turbo manifold on my old DSM was a B!*ch to get installed!!! but thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
the headers suck to do... thats for sure. I like the DC sports and so do several others but if you are 100% sure going to get a cat then i would suggest another one sense DC have ceramic coat that would have to be cut into for it

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the headers suck to do... thats for sure. I like the DC sports and so do several others but if you are 100% sure going to get a cat then i would suggest another one sense DC have ceramic coat that would have to be cut into for it
so what would you recommend i do if i get DC? do they take out the cat? or do i have to get something welded in to replace it?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
there is no cat or a place to put a cat with DC headers. U would have to buy a hi flow cat and get a shop to cut into the header system and weld the cat up there. Personally sense u have no emission inspection i would not go with a cat and just get silencers if u think its to loud. I have no cat ony my DC's

·
Registered
282 Posts
as long at the stick in the pipe reads ok i dont think they need to check

·
Registered
282 Posts
I knew someone with a vette with no cats.... they stuck steel wool in the pipe and passed inspection

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Most headers replace the cat with a "test pipe". It doesnt bolt upto it.

By all means get a cat converter, it will sound 10000x better than no cat. Get a high flow, weld up some flanges and your set. It will sounds like crap, and very raspy if you dont have a cat on there,

Expensive, but i'd recommend the Hotshots.
the hotshots and dc are both ceramic coated; thats why theyre more expensive... if you dont much care about their appearance, then its not a huge concern. the hotshots INCLUDE a cat if im not mistaken, and thats why theyre uber-pricey. not worth it imo, when you can get a mangnaflow universal on ebay and have a shop weld it up... you have to extend the o2 sensor wires too.

i have a greddy evo2-style catback and i just put the KRD (ssa,ngm) headers on yesterday and its insanely loud. its not so much the volume as the rasp thats really killing me. . im definitley getting a cat, not just to pass inspection, but for the sound too.. IMO, anybody who wants to sound like that is crazy... im just hoping i dont get pulled over in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
In emmision states, do they have to look under the car and see if there is a cat, or does the obd port look for a cat?
depends. in GA they plug in to ur OBD and screw ur gas cap into the machine and done. They are sopose to do a visual check but never happens

1 - 13 of 13 Posts