Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought cheap headers from Amazon - ECCPP. Of course I knew they wouldn't be perfect, but that was the only available option in the whole world that I could find (seriously!).
They actually fit pretty decently, front one is completely fine, I'll just have to relocate O2 sensor bungs, but the rear one doesn't fit - the bottom flange rests against the oil pan, so I can't even tighten it at the top properly.

What I'd like to do is bend the rear header into a more "open" C - like this:

But before I do, I want to ask for your ideas and opinions - what would you do? Any better solutions than mine?

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
218 Posts
I bought cheap fleabay headers with the 1.5" primary tubes, just like yours, and ran into the same problem. Probably came out of the same Chinese factory and was white labeled ECCPP. Bending may break the very thin stainless. I tried bending too but didn't get very far. You can grind a little off the flange to clear the oil pan. You may need to dent the oil pan slightly for clearance as well. I'll get you some pics of my modified headers if you like.

Another option is to throw those directly into the trash can and buy yourself a set of SSA V2 headers with the 1.75" primary tubes from SSAutochrome.

Reactions: Rushking19

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought cheap fleabay headers with the 1.5" primary tubes, just like yours, and ran into the same problem. Probably came out of the same Chinese factory and was white labeled ECCPP. Bending may break the very thin stainless. I tried bending too but didn't get very far. You can grind a little off the flange to clear the oil pan. You may need to dent the oil pan slightly for clearance as well. I'll get you some pics of my modified headers if you like.

Another option is to throw those directly into the trash can and buy yourself a set of SSA V2 headers with the 1.75" primary tubes from SSAutochrome.
Thanks, I actually have them from the same source - ECCPP. I've managed to bend them finally - took a scissor jack between the flanges and started winding it up. It worked! I still need to cut and re-weld the Y-pipe because it doesn't reach the rear header, but that's relatively easy.

I was searching for a set of headers for a month, ECCPP were the only available in stock anywhere on the internet. Are you sure SSA have them in stock? They don't say that anywhere on their webpage.

·
Registered
2003 Tiburon GT / Auto trans
163 Posts
Thanks, I actually have them from the same source - ECCPP. I've managed to bend them finally - took a scissor jack between the flanges and started winding it up. It worked! I still need to cut and re-weld the Y-pipe because it doesn't reach the rear header, but that's relatively easy.

I was searching for a set of headers for a month, ECCPP were the only available in stock anywhere on the internet. Are you sure SSA have them in stock? They don't say that anywhere on their webpage.
Headers - Hyundai & Tiburon - SSAutoChrome Inc.
Hope this helps @GTwice

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Sure you had them in the right place? I just replaced my headers with stock equivalent manifolds and with the frond and back manifolds reversed I had the same problem.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
218 Posts
Sure you had them in the right place? I just replaced my headers with stock equivalent manifolds and with the frond and back manifolds reversed I had the same problem.
I don't believe they would fit the opposite way. The flanges would not mate up at all. It's definitely a problem with the poor quality control of these cheap SSA knockoffs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've managed to fit them finally. I put a car jack between the flanges and started winding it up, it made just enough difference to clear the oil pan. Also needed to modify the Y-pipe because it didn't quite fit, and one of the O2 bungs - just a cheap header I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts