1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
do you really use it THAT much? lol

·
Registered
653 Posts
Off the top of my head I’m sure that you could do such a thing, but it goes without saying that custom work would be a necessity. To my way of thinking you would want to go with an aluminum replacement of the drink holder to transfer the heat/cold the most efficiently. Personally if I were to do such a thing I would look at hooking some form of heating element (shouldn’t be too hard to come by) to the sides of the holder, and hooking a Peltier cooling unit (try grabbing one from the CPU cooling section in Newegg.com) to the bottom with a three-way toggle switch to choose between heat/off/cool. Again, lots of custom work, but you could probably do it.

·
Lighting and Accessories
13,813 Posts
Off the top of my head I’m sure that you could do such a thing, but it goes without saying that custom work would be a necessity. To my way of thinking you would want to go with an aluminum replacement of the drink holder to transfer the heat/cold the most efficiently. Personally if I were to do such a thing I would look at hooking some form of heating element (shouldn’t be too hard to come by) to the sides of the holder, and hooking a Peltier cooling unit (try grabbing one from the CPU cooling section in Newegg.com) to the bottom with a three-way toggle switch to choose between heat/off/cool. Again, lots of custom work, but you could probably do it.
That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. :3_pimatyo

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
only thing about peltier would be that the way it works is,

it's a plate of which one side becomes VERY cold but the other side becomes VERY hot, so i'm just wondering if the hot side would be able to melt the cup holder itself,

in computers when you use peltier, you still need very good cooling on top of the peltier plate to avoid getting heat throughout the rest of the case

·
Registered
653 Posts
only thing about peltier would be that the way it works is,

it's a plate of which one side becomes VERY cold but the other side becomes VERY hot, so i'm just wondering if the hot side would be able to melt the cup holder itself,

in computers when you use peltier, you still need very good cooling on top of the peltier plate to avoid getting heat throughout the rest of the case
After checking out Newegg I confirmed my belief that in fact the Peltier cooling units for PCs in fact have exhaust fans that would wick heat away from anything that might become damaged by exposure to the heat. Though in truth I have to wonder if the plastic surround (again, having replaced the actual cup holder with aluminum for efficient heat transfer) would really be heated up by the presence of the Peltier unit any more than it would be on a normal summer day. Of course, my examination of the unit that I had previously noted (This rather nifty piece of technology right here )presents two far more immediate problems with my thought of using one to provide drink cooling.

The first is that the unit is rather larger than I thought, and wedging it into the recess would prove... Problematic.

The other issue, and I think it's the more pressing of the two, is that the unit costs $800. Needless to say, I don't want my drinks to stay frosty badly enough to shell out $800 just for the novelty of it.

Either way, it does make one curious as to exactly how the Chrysler folks pulled it off...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Ok, new plan...

The Guinness Guys said:
Brilliant! :m_beer:
I know, I'm a genius.:m_dunce:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.