Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 Tib i4 2.0 Auto

Last winter, I'd notice my heater getting pretty cold while at an idle and always assumed it was because it was a small car with a small engine in -30 Celsius weather (-22 F)

Was I wrong to assume this? Cause I want to prepare a bit more for this winter before it comes, and I now realise it could be an issue with the heater core or coolant.

Would it be wise to flush my heater core or do any other work related to coolant?

Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
So when you start driving it gets warmer?
How old is your coolant?
Is you coolant level low? low coolant could cause the heater to not warm up quickly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So when you start driving it gets warmer?
How old is your coolant?
Is you coolant level low? low coolant could cause the heater to not warm up quickly.
When the engine is up to operating temperature, the heater does get warm again when the vehicle is moving.

I've had the car for 3 years, and the coolant hasn't been changed since I've owned it, and I'm not sure how often the previous owner changed it either. I was planning on doing a coolant flush within the next year anyway.

I haven't driven the car in about 3 months as well, so I don't know if the coolant is low right now. But I do think the coolant is at an acceptable level.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Had the exact same issue my with girlfriend's old '04 SE 2.0l a few years back.

I first changed the thermostat, it helped a bit, but the issue was still there. Then I brought it to Hyundai to check if it was the headgasket, they said it wasn't the headgasket and that it was the heater core. Got them to change that out for $800, and the issue kinda went away for a few months, then it came back. Brought it back to Hyundai and THEN they said oh yeah, no it's the headgasket.

So, if I was you, I'd start by doing a coolant flush, installing a new (OEM) thermostat, and refilling with fresh coolant (and burping the system PROPERLY).

Monitor the coolant level closely; the coolant on my GF's went down pretty quickly (check reservoir and rad), yet there was never any white smoke and the car never overheated. There was also a gurgling sound behind the glovebox when starting the car.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
^^ What he said. Whenever I buy a used car and the previous maint is unknown I do everything that's required given the miles of the vehicle. That includes changing ALL fluids and spark plugs as well as the timing belt depending on the miles.

Too many times people neglect that stuff and wonder why their car runs like a$$. lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts