Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently became a proud owner of a 08 Tiburon GS, ( 2L 16-v DOHC 6-Cyl). I do not know much about mods and alot of the terms that go with them. Eventually, I would like to put on a turbo, but not so sure where to start.

Does anyone recommend a turbo kit? If so, why that kit?

Also, is there any modifications that would need to be added to the car (ex. exhaust) so that the turbo will function properly.

I am just trying to get a list together, and a budget, so I can get working on this. I live in Northern Virginia, so if anyone can recommend a good auto shop, that will be super helpful!!!

Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
First thing...the 2.0L engine is not a 6 - cyl its a 4 cyl.... ;)

Second, get familiar with the search function because its all be discussed before.

Third, really think about if you want to go hardcore and void your drivetrain warranty. ANY forced induction upgrade WILL void ALL of your drivetrain warranty. That means the engine, transmission, drive axles, hubs...etc will not have a warranty

If your ok with that then get to researching!! :)

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha, I knew that, I don't know why I said 6...o-o..

And I know that it will void the warranty. I still have 10 year 100,000 mile warranty on the car, but I drive cross country alot during summer time, so the 100,000 might give out pretty soon. I know in the next week, I will have put on bout 6,000 miles..bumping it up to 7,000.

I will probably be putting on forced inductions later on, when the warranty will be almost out. Right now, I just want to get to know the basics.

Also, would a CAI system void a warrenty?

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
A CAI shouldn't void warranty but with dealerships, you never know.....

·
Registered
594 Posts
A CAI shouldn't void warranty but with dealerships, you never know.....
Honestly just do what i do, im still under warranty... put the cai on but when u go to dealership swap it out... 90% of dealerships are a**holes... and will try to void ur warranty...

but its up to u...

by the way i think theres a thread floating around here somewhere stating(law or act) that even if they tryed to void ur warranty they couldnt unless they had clear evidence that whatever was messed up on the car was caused by ur CAI...

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Google and Learn about the Magnuson - Moss Warranty act. It basically states that any modification done like a CAI should only void the warranty on the stock intake system. If your engine blows and it has a CAI on it the dealer MUST prove that the CAI was the reason the engine blew before they can void your engine warranty. For example, lets say the CAI allowed your engine to suck in enough water to hydrolock. Even if you took off the CAI and put the stock stuff back on its easy to prove the hydrolock was caused by the installation of a CAI so they can chose to deny your warranty claim.
A lot of dealers are prone to even denying to look at a modded car, which is their right, so that they don't have to deal with proving anything.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, I never even heard of that act until now. So, would it be best then to take it to an outside repair shop other than the dealership?

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tuscanirider, you posted just before I did..hah.

Thanks for the link, this thread is veerrry helpful. N/A is defiantly the way I want to go first before I do a F/I setup.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Your best bet if you choose to do a lot of modifications to the engine is to learn all there is to know about your engine. That way you can do the repairs yourself and save a ton of cash!

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is true, I am going to get books soon, and learning as much as I can from a friend who is a mechanic. He even said he will help me with installations for free as long as I help

·
Nick-Yes, I have boost!
3,317 Posts
I've moved the thread to the newbie section, since it's definitely generic and is more of a newbie focus.

To the OP, if you want to turbo, please spend at least 6months reading several books and the forum, and set anywhere between 5,000-10,000$ aside if you're going to do the work yourself, depending the power goals you have. Double that if you'll have a shop do it for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts