Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first 2004 Tiburon last night and the driver side door would not open this morning I climb in through the passenger side and it will not open on the inside or out side. The handle just pulls and nothing happens, what can i do to get it open!!! need it fixed..... The passenger side door does not lock either it is very stiff on the inside of the door to lock and the key just turns continuously in when you try to lock it.:crying::crying::crying:

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
You have more than one problem. The first problem, on the driver's side, could be a door actuator or a broken cable, and may also be a broken exterior door handle. To troubleshoot it, you will need to remove the panel from the door and examine the door workings to see what happens when you pull on the interior and exterior door handles. It's work, and you have to pay attention to where all of the screws come from (I always label them with post-it notes and put them into zip-lock bags), but it's not difficult if you take your time and pay attention to what you are doing. Here is a very good DIY on how to replace the door actuator. Do the first part, which is where you remove the door panel, and you will be able to see the inner workings and tell what is currently not working that ought to be working.

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/diy-interior/148126-door-actuator-replacement.html

Once you know what is not working, we can help you figure out what you need to fix. Good luck.

·
Administrator
8,820 Posts
You have more than one problem. The first problem, on the driver's side, could be a door actuator or a broken cable, and may also be a broken exterior door handle. To troubleshoot it, you will need to remove the panel from the door and examine the door workings to see what happens when you pull on the interior and exterior door handles. It's work, and you have to pay attention to where all of the screws come from (I always label them with post-it notes and put them into zip-lock bags), but it's not difficult if you take your time and pay attention to what you are doing. Here is a very good DIY on how to replace the door actuator. Do the first part, which is where you remove the door panel, and you will be able to see the inner workings and tell what is currently not working that ought to be working.

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/diy-interior/148126-door-actuator-replacement.html

Once you know what is not working, we can help you figure out what you need to fix. Good luck.
With lots of little screws, I get a piece of cardboard and draw a rough outline of the part (valve cover, door panel, whatever.....) on the cardboard and then just push the screws/bolts into the cardboard where they go.

@admin you may wish to move this to the "Interior" topic.
I'll leave it here for now.

TP, look over the DIY and similar, you may get the door open with no/minimal damage to the panel. From there, it's easier to fix. Sounds like lubing lock parts inside the door is a minimum.

Reactions: Gutboyz

·
Registered
855 Posts
You need to do this to get it open:

Seriously though, it's extremely difficult if not impossible to get the panel off unless you get the door open. I did read somebody suggesting putting a hooked coat hanger down the outside of the window near the exterior handle to try to manually grab the linkage and pull. It's basically what I did when I ripped open the door panel... I grabbed the linkage by hand and popped the door.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Seriously though, it's extremely difficult if not impossible to get the panel off unless you get the door open.
Oh, ****. You know, I didn't even realize that when I responded. Yeah, that really sucks. I am not sure what to suggest for that. Oh! Here is a suggestion:

You can take off the interior grab-handle and the trim around the door handle, and that will let you see (just barely) the two cables that come from the door actuator to the interior door handle and interior door lock. If (it's a big if) the door won't open because the cable is broken right there at the interior handle, you might be able to grab the cable with a pair of pliers and pull it enough to open the door.

If that doesn't work, my next suggestion basically involves destroying the exterior door handle to get to the inner workings. But you should definitely try other things before doing that. And see if anyone has a better suggestion, because this suggestion sucks. :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Kal is right, I don't see a person getting the door panel off cleanly from the inside as you described. I'd check the LKQ/pull a part junkyards within driving distance before getting too involved personally. If you can get to a yard and walk yourself through how the panel comes off- then you'll be able to see the inside/guts of how the door is actually put together. Then you'll be able to destroy your current door panel and won't stress about it et cetera. That's the best thing to do in my opinion and you'll see both doors and hopefully get your parts at a reasonable price.

-Good luck

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
before you hack the inside door panel apart, try this to get the doors open. make sure the door is unlocked then roll the window all the way down. next separate the rubber molding by the exterior door handle. look down and you should see 2 rods. one is to lock/unlock, the other opens the door. dont recall which is which but you can grab them with a long needle nose pliers. i believe you pull up on the rod that opens the door.

Reactions: bblackmoor

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually was able to get the door panel off with out tearing or breaking any clips or the panel it's self. You have to put your fingers between the window and the panel and push little by little till you can pop the screw clips out.. we successfully were able to get the panel half way off with the door closed. The locking cable was snapped and the electric lock cable was also snapped. The door will now open from the outside only, we had to completely cut the eletric lock cable to get the door open. The only one i cant figure out yet is the passenger side door why it is stuck unlocked. I am replacing both actuators...

WHAT ELSE: What else do i need to replace everything in the door to be able to lock the car and open the doors properly. I see a lot about electric door locks but the person who sold me the car did not give me a key phob and i am not to worried about it right now, I need actuators, the two cables, and how to fix the door handle lock it self on the out side. I stick the key in and it just spins 360... Do they sell a separate lock cylinder like older cars come??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WHAT ELSE: What else do i need to replace everything in the door to be able to lock the car and open the doors properly. I see a lot about electric door locks but the person who sold me the car did not give me a key phob and i am not to worried about it right now, I need actuators, the two cables, and how to fix the door handle lock it self on the out side. I stick the key in and it just spins 360... Do they sell a separate lock cylinder like older cars come??

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Progress! Now for the rest, do one thing at a time. Focus.

You say the outside lock spins 360. I have never seen that, but it sounds like you need a new locking mechanism. It's called a right door lock cylinder, part number 81980-2CA00.

81980-2CA00 - Hyundai Parts Deal

On the other hand, maybe the lock cylinder is fine, but what it connects to is broken. You will need to look closely at what happens on the inside when you spin the key. Does it look like something is not connected that ought to be?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Door locks helpppppp

Hey guys I have replaced all of the actuators on my 2004 tiburon gt. and the cables and all... When I stick the key into the cylinders all it does is spins all the way around and if i lock it from the inside i cant use to key to unlock it...... I need door lock cylinders for both sides, I am trying to go to the junk yard for some. WHAT OTHER HYNUNDAI CAR PARTS ARE INTERCHANGEABLE?? NO JUNK YARD NEAR ME HAS ANY TIBURONSSS!!!! Can i use another hyundai vehicles cylinder if so what years and witch ones.:crying::crying:

·
Administrator
8,820 Posts
Did you reinstall the clips for the locks?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes all the clips and everything are replaces, the doors open fine its just the keys i can not use to open the door. The lock cylinders are broken... I need to know what hyundai's are interchangeable to the 04 tiburon so i can go to the junk yard..

·
Administrator
8,820 Posts
I doubt the locks are broken, if they worked before, they still likely work, you're missing something.

BTW, I'm deleting your other thread, PLEASE KEEP SIMILAR ISSUES IN ONE THREAD, don't make everyone chase through similar threads for the same issue..........
MmmmmK?
:wink2:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts