Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tackling my ac issue this weekend on my 03 tib gt naturally asperated engine. I'm getting a new compressor installed on Monday. Took it to the mechanic on Friday to determine Any leaks and I noticed some dye off the low pressure line comming off the compressor where that metal u bend takes place before following into the rubber hose that leads off the compressors low side hose. It follows off the compressor up too passenger side and meets at at flange with a bolt near the passenger strut and then from there another line comes off that connection... And the line that follows from that connection is the low side service port line. Does anybody know where I can get that line that leads from the compressor to the passenger side bracket? Or a possible part #? I'm probally call the 3 junk yards by me and see if I can get lucky lol

·
Registered
200 Posts
Dealer was the only place I could find one. I wouldn't recommend using one from the junkyard. You cannot tell if its good or not until you install it. Also its a good idea to replace the drier element anytime you open the refrigerant system or replace a component. Its cheap insurance you wont damage that new compressor.

·
Registered
115 Posts
^^ good point. if you order the dryer, its beyond cheap. If you buy it at advanced its like $50...... what you dont want to do is get one from a yard, install it, take it somewhere for an evac and charge (which you will need because your system will be empty) and then find that that hose leaks as well

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We've done all of that turns out that the O ring for that line was shot that the expansion valve against the firewall was the issue. Got a new expansion valve from my local advance auto parts going to have it installed today. The valve was stuck forcing the high pressure side to build up a crazy amount of pressure causing the compressor to fail.

·
Registered
115 Posts
makes sense, glad you got it figured out though. not having A/C is awful in a tib, was fine in my 240 but its not alright in this car for some reason. make sure you are double checking prices on everything, a lot of times it is cheaper to overnight a part from amazon than it is to get it from advanced

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picked it up just now from my mechanic it's good to go and it's blowing really cold air. I did notice that the compressor would surge on for about 10 seconds then off for about 5 seconds then back on again. I called my mechanic back up and told him about it. He told me becAuse it is cold outside today and also crappy weather. (Cause were getting hit with the rain storms rite now in jersey) it's not hot out enough for the system to draw the hot air to keep the compressor on for a decent period of time... Is he correct on this? I need your help guys cause I wanna make sure I'm okay

·
Registered
117 Posts
Picked it up just now from my mechanic it's good to go and it's blowing really cold air. I did notice that the compressor would surge on for about 10 seconds then off for about 5 seconds then back on again. I called my mechanic back up and told him about it. He told me becAuse it is cold outside today and also crappy weather. (Cause were getting hit with the rain storms rite now in jersey) it's not hot out enough for the system to draw the hot air to keep the compressor on for a decent period of time... Is he correct on this? I need your help guys cause I wanna make sure I'm okay
Your a/c should work whether cold or hot....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got all the major components of my A/C replaced

alright so here's the low down on what I did on fixing my A/C system at my local mechanics shop... Replaced the A/C compressor, Replaced the Receiver Dryer, Injected Leak Dye, Freon, and Refrigerant oil...
work performed...
Found out coil on old compressor failed and wouldnt engage the clutch.
checked the continuity on the coil and the coil is open.
we removed and replaced the A/C compressor.
Removed and Replaced the Receiver Drier.
Clened out and blew out all the lines with compressed air and replaced all O rings
replaced the expansion valve with a new one from the dealer

Then...
evacuated the system.
Vacuum Tested the system.
Injected Leak Detection Dye
Recharged the system to vehicle specs
ran the system and the car and inspected for leaks.

took the car out for a ride and everything seems to be working amazing and really cold Air! :)

but now here is my concern... took the car out for a ride (I live in Central Jersey and the weather here today is cold in the mid 60's and rainy) and noticed that the compressor was surging every couple of seconds... it would turn on for about 10 seconds then shut off for about 5 seconds or so then kick back on. the air is still very cold with out a doubt... i called my mechanic back shortly after i got home and explained him my concern about the surge and whats going on. he told me because it is crappy and kinda cool out today that when the A/C system is on in cool/ cold weather that the compressor will surge cause the condenser isn't getting enough hot air to keep the compressor kicked on for a period of time and that is why it is surging on a crappy day like today cause it is a little cool...

is my mechanic's statement and opinion true?

he told me to wait till we get a nice hot day and see what happens then.

please help it is appreciated :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
it does work but im just worried about the compressor surging like it is every 10 seconds or so... my mechanic said its cause its a little cold out possibly? he said wait for a warm/ hot day and see what happens if it persist he said to bring it back

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
I think it should be fine, I think it's supposed to do that. I haven't fixed mine in a while but in the truck I'm driving right now the AC works great and when it's on I hear a hhhhhhhhh sound every 15 seconds or so and I don't notice a huge power loss or anything like that. Unless it's doing weird things like making the car feel like it loses a ton of power all of a sudden, I think it's normal. I'm not an AC technician, maybe get a second opinion from another mechanic?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
When I refilled mine last week, the compressor would engage for no more than a second, turn off for 5 and repeat. I figured out I had refilled too much. I did have power surges of course, just cause it was like I was pushing the AC button on and off. Perhaps this could be the same.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I refilled mine last week, the compressor would engage for no more than a second, turn off for 5 and repeat. I figured out I had refilled too much. I did have power surges of course, just cause it was like I was pushing the AC button on and off. Perhaps this could be the same.
thats the issue i am having rite now. the ac button is pressed on. and the compressor clutch would engage for 1 second or 2, turn off for a couple, that is the issue i am having now. when its on the rpms raise to about a grand cause of the load on the engine from the compressor being on. with everything off with no load it idles at around 800. which when the ac kicks on the engine is supposed to kick up a little more. my moms car when you turn the ac on you hear the clutch kick in and turn on and it stays on it doesnt surge on and off. the cars back at my mechanics shop for the 5th time within the past 2 weeks. new compressor was installed, expansion valve, pulled vacuum and recharged to correct pounds with leak dye... dont see any leaks anywhere with the UV light which now leads me to issue of Pressure switches?, the evaporator?, too much in the system? cause he said everything came out clean and the receiver drier was good. im getting fustrated now cause its getting hotter out and my car sits in the sun all day at work. and the black interior with leather in that car is unforgiving LOL!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm having major issues also!

On my second Amazon Direct compressor, I have bad surging while driving, when ac on for a while the compressor has a bad whine/grone sound rpm sensitive, engine drag is very noticeable (surge) almost like running out of gas when cruising on highway (or even like a short) and its not cooling like it should even though it went down to 40° F when installed.

This is all within a few weeks.

Only reason original compressor was replaced is it had small leak at case half's

·
Registered
53 Posts
We've done all of that turns out that the O ring for that line was shot that the expansion valve against the firewall was the issue. Got a new expansion valve from my local advance auto parts going to have it installed today. The valve was stuck forcing the high pressure side to build up a crazy amount of pressure causing the compressor to fail.
So, did you replace the expansion valve at the firewall? Edit: saw later post you got one from dealer

How is it working now?

Edit: looks like your serviced everything except condenser, and still issues?

From what I understand, any time a compressor is cycling on/off (with little time between) is Bad and will burn out clutch premature. Reasons I guess many, low pressure is most common I think.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got it all figured out the pressure switch was no good. With this A/C system theirs only 1 pressure switch while most have a seperate high/low pressure switch. But this ones controls high,low, and fan cycling. That's why it costed $190 from the dealer lol. A/C works great now!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.