Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to finish up the clutch install on my 03 2.7 tib, but cant seem to get the shifter cables to connect back to the little knobs on the tranny. I unbolted the ends when i dropped the tranny, but im thinking now that i shouldn't have. anyhow the lobes on the cable ends keep hitting each other when i try to put them back on the studs. does anyone have a picture of how they go back on??? I am thinking that the release bearing may not be seated properly, because the shifter stud located closest to the top/passenger side ( i think controls up and down shifter movements) doesn't move back and forth. anyhow any assistance would be greatly appreciated... its so frustrating when your so close... oh yeah is there an online fsm or anything like that???

thanks...

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I am trying to finish up the clutch install on my 03 2.7 tib, but cant seem to get the shifter cables to connect back to the little knobs on the tranny. I unbolted the ends when i dropped the tranny, but im thinking now that i shouldn't have. anyhow the lobes on the cable ends keep hitting each other when i try to put them back on the studs. does anyone have a picture of how they go back on??? I am thinking that the release bearing may not be seated properly, because the shifter stud located closest to the top/passenger side ( i think controls up and down shifter movements) doesn't move back and forth. anyhow any assistance would be greatly appreciated... its so frustrating when your so close... oh yeah is there an online fsm or anything like that???

thanks...
someone correct me if i'm wrong but you can go to hmaservice.com for tech support database and bulletin updates.

as for reconnecting the shifter cables, look for the kartboy bushings diy in the diy section for pictures and ideas.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I unbolted the bracket for the shift cables whe I dropped my trx., but that's not going to help you. I would try moving the shift knob. It sounds like either your knob has been moved since the disconnect, or the linkage on the trx. moved. Also, you may try unbolting the shift cable bracket, inserting the cables (moving the shift knob where ever you need to get them in the bracket) when it's off the trx., and then reattaching the bracket with the cables to the trx..

·
Registered
481 Posts
so what your saying is you took the shift/select levers of the trans?
do you have a 5 speed or a 6 speed? its sounds to me like you have a 5 speed. if it is a 5 speed i can tell you exactly what to do to fix that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i looked at kartboys diy, but the pics were not exactly what i needed... i need a pic from the wheel well at the side of the tranny... so what i did was remove the ends of the shifter/gear selector .. the very ends of the cables have a a short tube that slips over a pin that comes out of the tranny and a bolt goes through both to hold them together... anyhow i removed the bolt and slipped off the tube. now the pins have turned and when i go to put the ends back on, the lobes on the cable end linkages dont line up and keep hitting each other preventing both from being able to re-attach... anyhow if any of that makes any sense at all, im not sure. but yes it is a 5 spd. oh yeah i have a feeling that part of the problem is that the top pin doesn't rotate like the bottom one does. not sure why it doesn't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.